what happens when I buy a used box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
If I buy a used direct tv sat box, what happens? Does D tv have to activate it to my account? Can I swap my existing card to the new one? Will D tv charge me a $5 fee per month to have another activated reciever? Can I keep my leased reciever while owning a used one? Im trying to get another to use at my cottage but know know how all this will work with the 2 active boxes I have now at home. Thanks much. BP

DirecTV will need to activate the receiver and most likely will want you to buy a new access card.
They will charge you an extra $4.99/month as an additional receiver, unless this is replacing an existing receiver.

Odds are the used box will be a leased box the seller thinks he owns, and directv will also restart a 12 or 24 month commitment when you activate the receiver.

Might as well buy a new one or see if directv will kick you one for free or cheap.

Pretty amazing, isnt it? $20 a pop for something that you dont own and have to give back eventually.

This requirement actually cost directv a customer a few months ago. My in-laws moved into a place that had a recent directv dish and wiring in place and I have a couple of older owned receivers I offered to them if they'd do directv instead of cable. But directv wanted $40 for the access cards and cable would install for free, so they got the nod.

The new $20 access card is part of the security process to keep hacked access cards out of DirecTVs activation system.

I have an old Samsung box that never was activated due to the $20 fee.:confused:

Pretty amazing, isnt it? $20 a pop for something that you dont own and have to give back eventually.

This requirement actually cost directv a customer a few months ago. My in-laws moved into a place that had a recent directv dish and wiring in place and I have a couple of older owned receivers I offered to them if they'd do directv instead of cable. But directv wanted $40 for the access cards and cable would install for free, so they got the nod.

They were new customers? D* would have given them basic receivers and installation free and you could have kept you antiques.:):)

Well you do have the option not to buy it if you think it is BS but guess how much Directv you get to watch without it.:):):)
It works pretty well in keeping people from becoming customers too! ;)
Exactly, just some more money Directv is hard up for.:eek:
Like I told verizon I didn't know the company was hard up for my money.

Like with any other business, DirecTV sets their prices in order to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that. If people don't want to pay it, they have every right to go to the competition.

They were new customers? D* would have given them basic receivers and installation free and you could have kept you antiques.:):)

Unfortunately they'd have also ended up with a programming commitment and they didnt want one. They're just retiring and might move again soon or elect to live out of their motor home and travel. Grampa wasnt interested in having to pay an early termination fee if they decided to hit the road.

And heck, directivos arent that antiquey!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)