What Happens When Your DVR is Full

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Quick question:

When the DVR is full, does it automatically delete stuff, or just stop recording?

I noticed on one of my 722k's, if it ever gets full, it starts deleting shows that have their "Maximum Events" set to the default of "20" and there are more than 20 of those particular shows. If I set it to "#" then it will no longer be deleted, correct?

Is that the only time the DVR deletes, is when the "Maximum Event" flag is used? I always assumed otherwise that it just stops recording when it's full. However, I just recently observed this about the "Maximum Event" thing.

I believe the default mode is to start deleting the oldest unprotected recordings.

I see... I never realized that before... Then again I hardly ever let my DVR's get full, that's what the EHD is for :D .

Yep 3HaloODST That's what the External Hard Drive Is For And All You Have To Do Is Go To Wal-Mart or Any Electronics Store And Buy One Off Of The Shelf And It Has To Be Within 50GBs All The Way Up To 1TB also And When You Get It Home You Will Need To Call The Number That Is Listed On The Bulletin Board Screensaver Which Is A Feature When You Turn Off The Receiver Too.

Last edited:
Yeah haha, did that a few months back. Got the number from the screen saver too... Was very easy to set up. I actually use an external hard drive enclosure, where I can swap about any spare SATA drive I have (internal computer drive) lying around. By the way, I have read that drives up to 2TB will work as well :D .

To make sure you don't loose anything by accident, lock everything up (Protect). Your new recordings will get screwed up if space is not available. Watch the numbers on how much space is available. Move as much as you can to the EHD in advance to be safe.

I lost several VooM shows because I did not do this. I had to learn the hard way.

The external "stand" does not pay for 1 drive but for 2 or more it is cheaper by a little. It is easier to just swap the USB cable than the drive but not by much and there are less power bricks with a stand. Prices are approaching $40/TB for raw drives, 1TB, 1.5TB, or 2TB. Stands are $15 to $20, on sale. Cases add at least $10 per drive and provide a little more protection.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts