What HD Channels Doesn't D* Carry?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hey there,

I was driving home today and had this question pop in my head as I was thinking about the satellite TV companies and how D* seems in such a good position for adding new HD channels as they come out. So, I'm curious, does anyone know what national channels, if any, (other than Voom which is somewhat proprietary) that are offered in HD that D* currently doesn't carry? We're always looking at what is currently carried but I was wondering if D* is hitting the threshold of carrying most/all of the channels that are available now or if there are several that they could still add. What do you think/know?

Not sure how many HD channels that are out there that D* doesn't carry. I will give it a start. For one there is the Travel Channel that I would sure like to see D* carry. Also there is Mojo HD that most cable companies carry. I think that it would be great if they carried that. There is also RFD HD, D* carries the sd version not the HD. That is pretty much all that I know of.

AMC and FMC HD I don't believe are broadcasting in HD yet. I looked up the Chiller Channel HD and the internet said they were to go HD starting March 1st. Do know for sure if that happened.

Probably most importantly, they are still behind competiting cable and broadband tv providers in many markets with offering hd local networks, which is what viewers watch most.

Probably most importantly, they are still behind competiting cable and broadband tv providers in many markets with offering hd local networks, which is what viewers watch most.

That may be, but I can use an OTA antenna and run a cable to my D* STB and receive all my local channels. Can you connect an antenna to your FIOS STB and receive all the non local national HD channels that D* has and FIOS doesn't?:D

Well, I think that's a somewhat subjective statement in that I hardly ever watch the networks but would watch Travel HD, as well as the HD versions of AMC and FMC. In addition, I started this thread specifically asking about *national* HD channels not locals and certainly wasn't interested in comparisons of HD locals with cable/broadband TV, which I understand has been discussed at length (by you) in other threads. I'm sorry if this response comes across as snippy - it's not my intent - but dissing D* about locals wasn't the intent of this thread either.

I didn't realize that there were several other HD networks that had already launched. Any idea if they delays in adding some of those are bandwidth based or contractual? Just curious. I think D* is definitely ahead currently but I guess I subscribe to the notion that "more is better" ;D

I think that D* does have bandwidth problems, but its not so bad that can't
add anymore HD channel. Four new stations are to be added on or around the 31st of this month. ABC Family HD, ESPN News HD, Disney channel and Disneytoon HD I believe.

The reason we get cable or satellite is to get channels we cannot get OTA.

Not in my locale. Cable and FiOS (9 HD locals) only offers 1 more local HD than Direct (8 HD locals). Plus, neither FiOS nor my local cable company has an OTA tuner which allows me to use an antenna and place OTA channels in the guide, like I can do with Direct (HR-20 receiver). When I combine OTA channels, Direct (or Dish) is much better for HD locals.

I think that D* does have bandwidth problems, but its not so bad that can't
add anymore HD channel. Four new stations are to be added on or around the 31st of this month. ABC Family HD, ESPN News HD, Disney channel and Disneytoon HD I believe.
Bandwidth issues with satellite are directly due to the number of transponders which is easily fixed by adding more satellites. Bandwidth issues with FiOS and/or cable is related to the number of subscribers, the distance from the source, and the amount of information traveling down each line. The fix is much more complicated and really restricts what they can add. Land based providers will never be able to catch up to what you can get through the air or through satellite, simply because of limits of the hardware (i.e. lines and stations).

The do not have the VOOM Package like Dishnetwork. Its hard to compare but I would estimate they are charging $5 a month at Dishnetwork for it (its built into there HD Ultimate package).

All I want is Monsters HD.

VOOM HD Channels
==============

HD MONSTERS ( I want this bad) Next month they will have Planet of the Apes
HDNEWS
Film Fest
Ultra HD
Treasure HD
RUSH HD (I think this is the Music Concert channel in HD)
Family Room HD
Gameplay HD
Animania HD
World Sports HD

and more?

The do not have the VOOM Package like Dishnetwork. Its hard to compare but I would estimate they are charging $5 a month at Dishnetwork for it (its built into there HD Ultimate package).

All I want is Monsters HD.

VOOM HD Channels
==============

HD MONSTERS ( I want this bad) Next month they will have Planet of the Apes
HDNEWS
Film Fest
Ultra HD
Treasure HD
RUSH HD (I think this is the Music Concert channel in HD)
Family Room HD
Gameplay HD
Animania HD
World Sports HD

and more?

The music channel is Rave and the best Voom channel is Equator ... which is like the Travel Channel but all in HD.

Anyway,

If DirecTV offered the VOOM package for $4.99 a month like a Premium channel package would anyone sign up for it? I would.

What if they offered the Volumn discount like they do on the other Premium channel packages, say if you had all the other packages it was say maybe $2.99 a month, would you sign up?

We all want more HD, but some HD cost money to carry as its it not free to DirecTV.

Anyway,

If DirecTV offered the VOOM package for $4.99 a month like a Premium channel package would anyone sign up for it? I would.

What if they offered the Volumn discount like they do on the other Premium channel packages, say if you had all the other packages it was say maybe $2.99 a month, would you sign up?

We all want more HD, but some HD cost money to carry as its it not free to DirecTV.
Not I...

Not sure how many HD channels that are out there that D* doesn't carry. I will give it a start. For one there is the Travel Channel that I would sure like to see D* carry. Also there is Mojo HD that most cable companies carry. I think that it would be great if they carried that. There is also RFD HD, D* carries the sd version not the HD. That is pretty much all that I know of.

I believe MOJO is strictly a cable channel, much like InHD was.

Jimbo

Voom

Ok, I have both dish and direc tv. Im loyal to both! Long time dish subscriber.

Voom when dish picked it up was incredible. Equator channel was one of the best hd channels out there.

However those of you on the other side who would like to have those voom channels, think again.

I have grown very dissapointed with them. Content especialy on Monster channel is repetative to the point of boredom.

Most voom channel programming is repeated. Its like someone is asleep at the wheel.

Just my oppinion, those voom channels seem to be on their last leg. Who wants to watch old Canadian football games from 07???

Dont get me wrong, I loved voom channels but right now they are going down hill fast.

I personally like chiller channel better on direc tv.

If D* was to add Voom it should be in the HD only package for no additional change and add if ONLY after they've got every other HD channel out there on the system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)