What I love about FTA !

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BINGO! One of my neighbors has accused me of stealing numerous times. He'll stand right out back in his yard and holler across to me, "You're a thief! You're stealing! There is no free satellite tv and all that stuff is for stealing!" :rolleyes:

Idiot... I gave up on trying to explain anything to him so I just told him one day to shut his pie hole and call the police if he thinks my dishes are illegal. That sort of shut him up, he hasn't run his yap at me in a pretty good while, thankfully. He still sits around on his patio glaring at me. I think he's just jealous that he has to pay some crazy high bills, I see he has two little pizza dishes on his roof. I would bet he's getting the super double gold plated platinum package for $199 a month or something insane like that. Doof....... :rolleyes:

So yeah, it may cost some $$$ to get all the things you need to set up but after that, you're set. No monthly bills and that is awesome beyond all that is awesome... :D

:)

It never ceases to amaze me how people like your neighbor make it such a point to stick their noses in other people's business. This problem is getting worse and worse in our society :( ...

On a happier note, though, Dee, I'm glad you're standing by your hobby and improving your system!

BINGO! One of my neighbors has accused me of stealing numerous times. He'll stand right out back in his yard and holler across to me, "You're a thief! You're stealing! There is no free satellite tv and all that stuff is for stealing!" :rolleyes:

Idiot... I gave up on trying to explain anything to him so I just told him one day to shut his pie hole and call the police if he thinks my dishes are illegal. That sort of shut him up, he hasn't run his yap at me in a pretty good while, thankfully. He still sits around on his patio glaring at me. I think he's just jealous that he has to pay some crazy high bills, I see he has two little pizza dishes on his roof. I would bet he's getting the super double gold plated platinum package for $199 a month or something insane like that. Doof....... :rolleyes:

So yeah, it may cost some $$$ to get all the things you need to set up but after that, you're set. No monthly bills and that is awesome beyond all that is awesome... :D

Dee_Ann,

Good morning!

I read your post just now, just as I was almost ready to crawl into bed (I work strange hours and weird days). I had to take the time to respond.

I am glad that you stuck with us all the way through this hobby. There were a few times that I thought you were going to give up on FTA and leave us. I thought that you should stay and I hoped that you would. You made that decision. Aren't you glad that you stayed now? We are!

Now you are a FTA ADDICT, TOO! LOL!!!! :D

RADAR

I've been living in Arizona now for nearly 5 years, and have enjoyed the freedom of doing with my 2.5 acre 'yard' what I want to do with it. Including planting almost 20 trees, numerous bushes and planting gardens. Neighbors have told me that my yard looks great and then they start asking about the dishes on the South side of the house and even some that don't show from the road.

We are blessed here with a lot of space and cultivate rocks, yes I said cultivate rocks, you just can't dig down more than two feet where the post hole digger gets stopped with some pretty good sized rocks, but that's all in the nature of things.

Once I had most of the dishes up that I wanted (do we EVER have all the dishes we want?) I was taking to a next door neighbor over a fence, and the subject came up about the dishes, he is one of very few than can see into my back yard. He asked what all the dishes were for, and I jokingly said they were so I could "keep in touch with the Mother Ship."

The surprised look that came across his face was priceless, and he lowered his shoulders and head and muttered something about having to 'go mow the yard' Oh, there is NO grass here in Golden Valley.

I only bring this up in this thread because it falls in line with what I love about this hobby. The FREEDOM to hunt, search, seek and find things that are broadcast that others in the neighborhood don't/can't see on their more expensive cable or pizza dishes. AND the ability to say I get it free without stealing anything.

Sure, I had the pizza stuff a few years ago, and yeah, even though I wasn't paying (a lot) for it then, I still only watched a few channels with any regularity, and I find today that my favorite list is about 20 channels long, and I still only watch a few of the hundreds of channels offered, but the point is, once the initial costs were spent, there was nothing more to spend and add services. I enjoy RTV, History, Network TV, and ocasionally search for news feeds and sports, but everything is paid for and although I have bought several receivers in my time here, I don't go overboard. All but one of my dishes were free for the taking, they keep me busy WHEN I HAVE THE TIME to devote to them, but I don't go overboard with any of it. It is there for entertainment, not so I have something to work on in my "spare time."

So, what do I love MOST about this hobby? It's the freedom from the bills that neighbors pay to watch basically the same things I watch on TV. So what if I don't have HBO or Showtime. I have @Sports, STO, PBS and Create in HD, FX East and West, and more RTV than I can shake a stick at, plus all the news I can handle at any one time. I have THIS and ION, and a few other movie channels that I can record and then go back later and fast forward through the commercials. I have WHAT I WANT to watch for a whole lot less than my neighbors pay for their TV watching and not spending a lot of money makes me happy.

And I enjoy helping others (when they will LISTEN).

Photto

stanleyjohn said:
I dont think i watch more than just a few hours of cable tv a week since i got my dishes set up last spring.Its been fun.If it wasnt for dr who on BBC america (im a big fan)and some other stations like lifetime that my wife really likes i would have the cable tv gone by now.

I know you're FTA, but I would encourage taking a look at Skyvision HITS, it uses CBand and yes, an antiquated receiver, but it's pay for TV with no contracts and no certainty (like FTA!) it includes BBC-Am and LMN to mention just 2.

Sat guys has lots of info on it.

I enjoy FTA because I feel like an explorer. Watching TV and listening to radio stations that others can't get on Dish and DirectTV. I have many friends that come over, and we spend countless hours messing with equipment and scanning satellites to see what is new. I love being apart of a hobby and finding a place like Satelliteguys.us, where people quickly reply to posts. Then I look at other hobbyist forums and see posts that are 2 years old and never received a reply. This hobby is a great way to meet new people with a passion to be NICE and HELPFUL! Maybe if everyone would get into the hobby the world would be a better place!

Magic Static said:
FTA is free. The thousands of dollars makes it a hobby :)

It is free but there are not any channels to look at because of Niagra 3. It is easier and best to subscribe.

Today is the first day of your life.

He must think all satellite is dish network.lol. if I'm not mistaken only pizza providers use naigra 3. Now if only someone would make a consumer sub power vu box we would have some channels lmao

It is free but there are not any channels to look at because of Niagra 3. It is easier and best to subscribe.

Today is the first day of your life.

That is funny... Last I checked, I receive hundreds of channels FTA.

FTA means in the clear, unencrypted. Why would Nagra 3 have any bearing on such a signal?

Last edited:
I have to make a confession. I left History channel running one night just to have background noise and Larry the Cable Guy was on.
Hmmmm. What a nut!

But morbid curiosity set in and I watched it. Next day it was on again. I watched it, again. Uh oh..

I watched a few more of them and next thing I knew, I began to like it.
The guy actually is funny, in a red neck kinda way. So what the heck..

He is entertaining and I do learn new things watching his shows so it can't be all that bad. Right?

It's better than all that depressing war and death stuff they used to air..

you must be confused.....and obviously you got slammed by Nagra 3.
If you actually took time to read and maybe go to thelist at the top you'll see there are lots of channels out there for free and never will "go down", require you to "update the Bin" and scream "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when you tuen on the TV and see "scrambled" on the screen

He is entertaining and I do learn new things watching his shows so it can't be all that bad. Right?
You must have been watching "Only in America" with Larry the Cable Guy. That show is pretty cool as he goes across the US finding weird things
He was in MN at the St Paul Saints minor league baseball game :)

You must have been watching "Only in America" with Larry the Cable Guy. That show is pretty cool as he goes across the US finding weird things
He was in MN at the St Paul Saints minor league baseball game :)

Yes, that's the show.. :) The guy is a certified nut! But he is funny in a crude, red neck way..
He kinda grows on you. Like a fungus.. ;)

Only In America with Larry The Cable Guy! Yep. I love this program! I must be a redneck myself as I really identify with him. He is from Nebraska just the same as I, but he has no holds barrred when he gets to chatting on that show. WOW! He says anything that comes into his mind and some of that is quite intense. Heh heh! I like him for it. He don't pull back on any punch!

It's one of the better shows to date in my opinion. That is not because he is a Nebraskan like me, it is because he is so bold and humorous. He's a funny guy!

Truly, he is a real person. He knows comedy and he understands what is funny to the everyday person. But he is real, not a put on.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts