What I Wanted from CES

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
I was really hoping Dish would announce these two things at CES:

1. Enabling remote programming of the ViPs with a web browser. I believe this was being beta tested but there's no word on if or when they will release it to the masses.

2. Filling in missing HD locals in markets that have some, but not all, of the major networks (ie. Sacramento is missing FOX because Tribune and Echostar can't reach agreement).

So far, nada, and I suppose that's the way it will remain for another 6 months or so.

Though launching a bunch of new birds is always a good thing.

Programming via a web browser is one of the things that they mentioned on a Tech Forum chat some months back.

As far as negotiations on disagreements, those can take one day or 10 years, and no one can tell how long...

Programming via a web browser is one of the things that they mentioned on a Tech Forum chat some months back.

Yes, just looking forward to them pulling the trigger on this. Seems like it shouldn't take forever.

As far as negotiations on disagreements, those can take one day or 10 years, and no one can tell how long...

True. But my real questions are: Are they even talking, currently? What are the big issues? Is there a way Dish can give this another nudge? Did Dish backburner the negotiations in order to get more birds up before they bother again? Now that birds are going up, will this change? Also, now that the birds are going up, are they considering offering locals in full 1080, and if so, will that address the current stumbling block in the negotiations?

I know I should be thankful that I have HD locals since many customers do not. But not having one of the majors is really a big pain at times, you know?

I can pitch an antenna, but I really don't want to. I already have a dish on my roof, and that should be enough.

The beta hit a ripple if memory serves and then they took it back from those who got it. It was posted here a little while back.

I have no idea if that means it was scrapped, shelved or reworked. The Dishonline site is a piece of turd and slows older machines to a crawl though. If that's meant to be the hub of all things remote, they will seriously need to rework it.

I'd like to see other local HD's besides the big 4 networks. There are many shows shown in the HD on our local CW network, which also happens to be a superstation (KTLA 5)

By all means put up an antenna if you can. It's always great to get things via satellite and OTA for those times when technical difficulties come up.

I live in a townhouse in the Santa Clarita Valley, emphasis on the valley. Anything under a huge roof mounted antenna isn't going to get much. When I plug my zip into the antenna web I get no love.

Not a battle I'd like to start with my HOA. They've been pretty accommodating on the dish installations by installing mounting brackets on everyone's units. So I hope to get CW through the dish at some point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)