What if E* Buys VOOM?

TennVolFan said:
Here is what I think happens, E* buys VOOM, All new locals go to 105 once Echostar X goes up, All new internationals go to 121, All new HD channels get mirrored at 61.5 and 148. E* offers more locals than D*, more internationals the D*, and more HD than D*. Charlie hits the niche markets hard.

Here's what I think happens. I win the lottery, Arabs and Isrealis make peace, and George Bush learns how to pronounce the word "nuclear".

(as long as we're making up fantasies.)

Hey I have been told all along that the HD plans for the SuperDISH are NOT dead. The plans we delayed due to problems with both obtaining the SuperDISH and the fact that the 105 satellite was not as powerfull as they hoped.

If we are lucky we may see a handfull of new HD content on 110 in the next few months, however after that all new HD will be available from the SuperDISH.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hey I have been told all along that the HD plans for the SuperDISH are NOT dead. The plans we delayed due to problems with both obtaining the SuperDISH and the fact that the 105 satellite was not as powerfull as they hoped.

If we are lucky we may see a handfull of new HD content on 110 in the next few months, however after that all new HD will be available from the SuperDISH.

Scott, Yes, but my prediction calls for use of the superDISH. SD will be used for locals and internationals though. new HD goes the wing birds which is why E* told retailers to leave the second dish up. SD isn't dead, its just that VOOM will allow E* to use the wings for many new HD services and leave 105 and 121 to locals and internationals. if you want HD, your gonna get a 2-dish solution. which shouldnt be a big deal for HD fanatics who'll do anything to get HD programming,

MikeD-C05 said:
Charlie was already seen talking to the cablevision owner one weekend a few months back by old Scott or his friends. Charlie even said they were looking in to buying hd content from Voom or buying Voom itself. When they spin this company off from Cablevision I look to see a merger agreement or a buyout of Voom by Dish. It would solve a lot of bandwith problems for Dish and give them a use for the now mostly empty 61.5 sat.

Yes and Cablevision also plans on spinning Rainbow too, if Charlie can pick them up too in one swoop he could become a program provider too, not nearly as large as NewsCorp, Viacom or Disney, but hay it would be a start.

Scott Greczkowski said:

If we are lucky we may see a handful of new HD content on 110 in the next few months, however after that all new HD will be available from the SuperDISH.

Yes I agree this might happen, in fact once E*X is launched, locals currently on 105 could move to a spotbeam on 110 or 119 after all the shuffling which would make even more room at 105 for more HD. Another possibility for more HD at E* since E* and SES seam to be working closely with one another is for E* to lease more DBS space from the new 105.5 SES satellite if or win it gets FCC approval and is launched.

Chris Freeland said:
Yes I agree this might happen, in fact once E*X is launched, locals currently on 105 could move to a spotbeam on 110 or 119 after all the shuffling which would make even more room at 105 for more HD. Another possibility for more HD at E* since E* and SES seam to be working closely with one another is for E* to lease more DBS space from the new 105.5 SES satellite if or win it gets FCC approval and is launched.

Except that E* X is a spotbeams satellite that is going to 105???? :confused:

Then we get back into the problem of mirroring HD content on 121. Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to keep the HD channels in one place? At some point they may need to revisit the idea of moving some locals off 110 and onto 105 or 121, freeing up space for more HD. In the long run it would make more business sense to do it this way as the uptake for HD increases. Besides, who wants TWO superdishes on their house? Unless the power from the new satellite at 105 will be high enough that an 18" or 24" dish is all that would be required. That could work! :cool:

I don't think Intl channels exclusively on 121 is a great idea. I can't see someone who only wants only Greek channels, for instance.. to put up a 3 foot wide dish.

Also, HD customers don't want two dishes on their eaves.

I see, if Dish/Voom happens.. HD and Locals on 105/121/119/110 and intl on the wings.

And Rainbow 1 can move over to support 105, or not. I think the most advance bird would be better off helping the 105 lease problem... or it can stay on 61.5 because of E*X, help with addl locals, intl channels.. it has spot beams which aren't being used anyway.

Things have been looking like a merger is bound to happen.. I certainly hope it's this instead of a sellout to some corporation.

Yup Dish would just swap out the clunky moterola boxes for clunky Echostar boxes.

Clunky doesn't begin to describe a V* receiver. Try bulky, poorly manufactured, using six year old technology and graphics, fart and it won't work POS.

TennVolFan said:

E10 was announced for 110. It is possible that they could move the extra channels off the wings with the spots, plus move a bunch of the larger superdish markets off the superdish on to 110. Or they could simply add a ton of new markets...

TennVolFan said:

No, E*X is a spotbeam satellite going to 110 sometime next year and at that time many locals on 110 conus and possibly fringe locals on 61.5/148 and possibly even 105/121 locals if E* adds a 3rd up-link center. Latter this year a a new full conus satellite owned by SES that will have a larger footprint, will replace the older less pow full satellite that E* is using now at 105, that is why E* can possibly add HD channels to 105 once this happens. In addition to the above SES also owns a DBS slot from another country at 105.5 that they are presently trying to get FCC approval to use this slot state side and launch a satellite their as soon as possible, since E* and SES have close ties with each other and E* already leases their FSS satellite at 105, they may do the same at the DBS slot at 105.5. Did I confuse you any more ;) ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)