What if E* Buys VOOM?

TennVolFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Suppose we wake up tomorrow and E* has acquired VOOM. What are the issues in integrating VOOM and Dish programming? Do subs have to get new receivers? New dishes? Both? Would VOOM dishes have to be realigned, or would they pick up programming at 61.5? How would E* deal with the fact that subs in the west can't see VOOM's satellite? Maybe, mirror programming at 148?

It seems to me that VOOM is the solution to all of E*'s bandwidth problems in carrying HD. Has anybody heard rumors on a potential acquisition of VOOM by E*?

Finally, who is the most likely acquirer of VOOM's satellite and transponder licenses, D* or E*?

It would be lovely ... but isn't Voom owned by cable companies? And don't cable companies hate satellite companies? Of course, of course, they are motivated by the bottom line ... but I can't see it happening realistically. Sure would be nice though.

Not going to happen. The two systems are incompatible; they use different forms of encryption.

Dish has access 19 transponders at 61.5, so if they really wanted to, they could duplicate VOOM's service at the same slot. But they have no interest in launching service focused on HD. If they did, they would have done it before VOOM ever launched. Dish Network has decided to focus its resources on locals service.

It would be lovely ... but isn't Voom owned by cable companies? And don't cable companies hate satellite companies? Of course, of course, they are motivated by the bottom line ... but I can't see it happening realistically.
Voom is a subsidiary of Cablevision, although Cablevision is looking to spin it off later this year into an independent company.

I was told by an Executive Office rep that he had heard it rumored around the office that E* was looking at buying out Voom. No Lies :eek:

Ken F, So it's technically impossible to integrate the two systems? What if E* designed a special HD-capable receiver that handles HD channels off VOOM's bird and everything else off of the current E* configuration? The only people who would get the new reciver would be those who want to buy the HD programming. Would that work?

Charlie was already seen talking to the cablevision owner one weekend a few months back by old Scott or his friends. Charlie even said they were looking in to buying hd content from Voom or buying Voom itself. When they spin this company off from Cablevision I look to see a merger agreement or a buyout of Voom by Dish. It would solve a lot of bandwith problems for Dish and give them a use for the now mostly empty 61.5 sat.

Ken F, So it's technically impossible to integrate the two systems? What if E* designed a special HD-capable receiver that handles HD channels off VOOM's bird and everything else off of the current E* configuration? The only people who would get the new reciver would be those who want to buy the HD programming. Would that work?
All they would need to do would be to swap out VOOM's receivers. But then you're requiring two dishes. The buying public already made it clear that they don't want a two-dish solution for HDTV.

They would only need to swap out Vooms receivers...

Hmmm. 9,000,000 subscribers (+ who knows how many extra receivers they all have) vs. V* which has only hooked up a couple of thousand tops.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup Dish would just swap out the clunky moterola boxes for clunky Echostar boxes. :D

Here is what I think happens, E* buys VOOM, All new locals go to 105 once Echostar X goes up, All new internationals go to 121, All new HD channels get mirrored at 61.5 and 148. E* offers more locals than D*, more internationals the D*, and more HD than D*. Charlie hits the niche markets hard.

hitting the 61.5 bird from the west coast is no problem.My guys do it all the time.18 degree elevation and 105 degree azimuth.Damn thing looks like it pointing into the ground!

dishsystems said:
hitting the 61.5 bird from the west coast is no problem.My guys do it all the time.18 degree elevation and 105 degree azimuth.Damn thing looks like it pointing into the ground!

Depends on where you are on the West coast. From my location it's 11 degree elevation. Might as well be pointing into the ground :D

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)