What is a feed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

suibuliu

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Hi,
As you can see I am FTA newbie, and I am wondering what is a feed? Can I watch it with a out of box receiver (a Kusat 2600 and a 30" dish?)

I appologize if this question has been asked before, I did a search but could not find any answers.

Thanks!

Suibu

A feed......

A feed is different from a channel. A feed is something that is shown unencrypted on a satellite for a short time and quickly disappears. It could be a newscaster who is out doing a story and is relaying it via satellite to the studio. An example would be of a correspondent who is reporting in Iraq and is beaming their signal to the network to record for their newscast. Before they are shown live via satellite on shows such as NBC news for all primetime viewers to see, they will often already be broadcasting a signal to the satellite to prepare for the newscast ahead of time. People on here have remarked about reporters prepping and making mistakes and errors in their sentences before making clean cut statements on the newscast. Feeds are also shows that are shown in syndication. Before your local station shows Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, Montel, Maury, Larry Elders, Dr. Phil, Oprah, Seinfield re-runs, Everybody Loves Raymond re-runs, etc., your station receives that station via a satellite and records that show. It may be shown an hour or two before your station broadcasts it and sometimes it can be early in the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes during an important event, there might also be a feed that pops up, such as sports, or something involving politics, or a news event such as what happened on the final day of the Michael Jackson case. Feeds are usually on and then gone whereas channels usually stay a good while before disappearing or becoming encrypted.

Thanks lilyarbie, for writing such detailed reply, now I got it.

I still have one question though :)

How do I receive a feed? If I do a sat scan, can the receiver pick it up and assign it a channel number? I mean, do they usually have a fixed freq? (well, that is 3 questions... :))

Thanks!

If your receiver has blind scan capability, it will find the feeds and assign them channel numbers automatically, just as it would any other channel. They have a fixed frequency as long as the transmission is active, but it might be very temporary (the feed, or "channel" might disappear within an hour or more, sometimes its active for just a few minutes)...

Think of feeds as temporary channels. There's no telling how long they'll be there of if they'll ever be back in the same place.

There are some feeds that seem to be more-or-less permanent. Check Lyngsat's info on G-10R for an example.

You can go to Lngsat or Satcodx and locat Feq and H or V plus SR and enter them under edit feature of you reciever, then do TP scans rater than full scans. AMC 5 is very good for feeds, T6 is also good for feeds. Id thought Anick F1, looking at Lyngsat, had some good feeds, but in french. For Anick F1 Ku, try 11917 h 5.859 , 11941 H 5.859 , 11949 H 5.859 , 11911 H 5.859. Should help u locat Anick F1, Ku.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)