What is a good HD receiver for Direct tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigt0169

Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Northern VA
I am looking in to getting a Direct TV HD receiver for my brand new Mitsubishi WD-52525 52" HD DLP TV. I don't know what to get. Any suggestions on a make and model?

Thank you

bigt0169 said:
I am looking in to getting a Direct TV HD receiver for my brand new Mitsubishi WD-52525 52" HD DLP TV. I don't know what to get. Any suggestions on a make and model?

Thank you
Any Directv HDTV receiver will work. I would suggest not buying off Ebay and buying from a local dealer that has a store you can go into and play with the product. A product that is perfect for me may not be the one you would choose.

I was planning on buying from a local dealer, I would just like some sugestions on what might be good and what I might want to stay away from.

We have the Hughes HD-HTL and have had no problems with it,has all the connections that you would need DVI,Optical etc and the price isn't bad 299.00 at Best Buy.Now since I said we have the Hughes and have had no problems and that it is okay,I am sure I am about to get slammed,Since the vast majority are made by L.G. thea have minor differences but I think they are all still comparabile

branchbouncer said:
We have the Hughes HD-HTL and have had no problems with it,has all the connections that you would need DVI,Optical etc and the price isn't bad 299.00 at Best Buy.Now since I said we have the Hughes and have had no problems and that it is okay,I am sure I am about to get slammed,Since the vast majority are made by L.G. thea have minor differences but I think they are all still comparabile

My Hughes HTL-HD (now that it has the newest firmware version) works fairly well, although I have noticed some audio sync problems with HDNet (not sure if it's the receiver's fault) and the annoying habit of having channels that you list not to show up on your customer guide keep popping up, but I assumed the other receivers have this same problem and my old Sony (basic receiver) used to have the same problem until they released a software fix that fixed it.

All in all, I really don't have any complaints with the receiver, especially for the price while I'm waiting on the HDTivo to go down a little.

~Alan

The Hd TiVo has by far the best receiver I have ever dealt with.
(Although to be honest, there have been a number of posts here and elsewhere claiming a high failure rate. I certainly have never had the slightest problem, and considering those claiming the HD TiVo has myriad bigs often seem to be VOOM supporters, I wouldn't know about their credibility. But they could be right.
Barring that, we had Toshiba 3000s for a couple of years and they were very solid performers, although the HD TiVo pulls in OTA much better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I want some more HD...

Anyone using a Hughes HTL-HD with a Bose Lifestyle system ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)