Anyone using a Hughes HTL-HD with a Bose Lifestyle system ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Snipr4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I'm having a problem programming my remotes here's what I have:

Mitsubishi WS-65819 65-inch, Platinum Plus series, HD ready
Hughes HTL-HD
BOSE Lifestyle 35

I can program the TV remote to also control the HTL-HD
&
I can program the Hughes remote to also control the TV
but
I can't get the HTL-HD to control the BOSE
nor
can I get the BOSE to control my TV or the HTL-HD ?

any suggestions besides buying a all-in-one universal remote

thanks

Try remotecentral.com

The lifestyle systems come with an RF remote don't they? Or are they IR/RF ... I was thinking they are RF only.

I personally use a Sony RM-VL900 and my stuff all works great, even most advanced functions ... but I am RF free as far as remotes are concerned.

The Lifestyle does not do IR .. check your owners manual. Mu dad has this and I just asked him, there is not even a an "IR window" on the remote...

you need a new receiver anyway :) Just jokes, I am just not a fan of all in ones.

They do make REMOTES that are IR/RF and RF/IR ... check remote central like I said, they are the best.

Bose Lifestyle Remote issues

I have a lifestyle 35 and I've researched this till I was blue in the face... Here's the breakdown...
Your lifestyle CAN control other devices via IR. The media center has a built in IR blaster that sends signals out into the room for reflection back to the device(s) that you program it to control. The catch here is that the Lifestyle can't control your Hughes box (or mine for that matter!) Next problem is that the Hughes remote can't control the lifestyle system either...even though the lifestyle system CAN receive IR commands from other universal remotes.

I found all of this out while trying to get my SD Hughes Tivo receiver to work with my lifestyle 35 and Gateway HD 42" plasma. I still have all three remotes on the coffee table. :(

But if you want to spend the cash, check out http://www.harmonyremote.com

They swear that their remote can control anything under the sun, but the units are pricey...

Personally I'm hoping that either Bose or Hughes will incorporate the necessary codes in a software/firmware update in the future, but that's grasping at straws.

Good luck!

Slacker, thanks for the info but the Lifestyle 35 does emit IR signals from the receiver as well as from the IR emiter. Yestrday I gave in & called Bose tech support and sure enough I can now contol my whole system from the Bose remote. I needed to use the supplied TV sensor as well as the IR emitter. There is also a feature in the Settings that allows it to receive IR as well for use with a learning remote.
This is a pic of a LS35 maybe your referring to another model.
p_ls35_l_b.jpg

cr0mag said:
I have a lifestyle 35 and I've researched this till I was blue in the face... Here's the breakdown...
Your lifestyle CAN control other devices via IR. The media center has a built in IR blaster that sends signals out into the room for reflection back to the device(s) that you program it to control. The catch here is that the Lifestyle can't control your Hughes box (or mine for that matter!) Next problem is that the Hughes remote can't control the lifestyle system either...even though the lifestyle system CAN receive IR commands from other universal remotes.

I found all of this out while trying to get my SD Hughes Tivo receiver to work with my lifestyle 35 and Gateway HD 42" plasma. I still have all three remotes on the coffee table. :(

Personally I'm hoping that either Bose or Hughes will incorporate the necessary codes in a software/firmware update in the future, but that's grasping at straws.

Good luck!

cr0mag, in my bedroom I also have another system.

Sampo 42" plasma (makers of the gateway plasma)
Hughes HTL-HD
SONY HCD-S300
Monster Power Center HTS 5100

Before when I was running a Dish Network 6000u their remote wouldn't control the plasma but my new Hughes controls everything try using the Sampo TV codes. If it sttill doesn't work call Bose tech support.

Snipr, if you don't mind, let me know how you finally set up your remotes. Maybe I can get at least one of these things off the coffee table. ;/
Thanks!
cr0mag

Two days ago I helped my neighbor program his Hughes SD Tivo and boy is that manual confusing. Since your SD Tivo & Gatewway remote are both IR & the Bose is RF I'd recommend controlling everything from the Bose remote. You'll probably only be able to turn on & off your Gateway, volume & mute from the Tivo remote. Here is the number for Bose tech support "Within the U.S. and Canada Call 1-800-367-4008 "

I just tried setting up the Bose system to control the TV with no luck, but I'm not using the Bose TV power detector as the manual states not to use it with a Plasma TV. Could it be that I should use it after all? I don't want to damage the tele in the process...

hmmm maybe use the IR & put it in front of the IR sensor on the Gateway ? If there isn't a TV code for Gateway try Sampo. I forgot how the TV sensor won't work on Plasma's I had to use the IR emiter for my Mitsubishi & needed nothing for the Hughes since the IR blaster did its job. Don't forget to set the tv power setting to Manual not auto.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)