Status
Not open for further replies.

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
....and what is it doing in my Suburban?

It started out with me noticing some black object alligator clipped to the ceiling above my rear-view mirror and hidden behind my ceiling console. Thinking it was odd that I hadn't noticed it before, I removed this little object and it was attached to a cord that ran along the window cross member and down to the floorboard. I peeled back the carpeting to find a rectangle shaped black box with other wires connected to it. There was a wire that also ran up towards the cross member but connected to some other piece that was a missing. Looked like a CB antenna connection. There was also some power wires. A cat5 type of connector that was plugged in to this box had a flat wire coming out of as opposed to twisted pairs. The little object looks like a mini microphone and had a stereo pin connector at the other end, also laying under the carpet near this black box.

The black box has labeling on it that states it is a Mobile Telephone Transceiver.

I gotta admit, seeing that little microphone up at the ceiling and pointed right towards the driver seat had me worried. I know I've got some politically incorrect beliefs, but I'm nobody important. So what the heck is this thing?

What year is your suburban? If it's early 90's sounds like it's the left overs from when it once had a analog cellular "car phone" installed.

hppp_0904_07_z+1992_pontiac_firehawk+in_car_phone.jpg

4158482357_20fbdc98fb_z.jpg

Funny thing is no one complained about cell phones causing wrecks when these were mainstream, I guess because your average single task dodo brain person could not afford to get one.

Or, they were so damned expensive that hardly anyone had them and there were fewer wrecks....

By the pictures, it looks like a first or second generation Onstar setup. Onstar first came out in the 80's. That was all Onstar was, a cell phone mounted in a GM vehicle. It used a mobile phone that was installed in the vehicle. It's not like today's Onstar that is intergraded into the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)