What is added by an HR20 connected to the net??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im asking because I put a Netgear plug near my cable modem so I could send a Homeplug signal to the ViP722 to get away from the $5.00 fee monthly. I know D* does not have this fee and was wondering if anything other than VOD comes from having it connected to the net.

I prob would not use the VOD unless they had free movies becuase I get most of them from Netflix.

If there are any other good features, Ill need to buy a second unit to go behind the HR20, since it does not have Homeplug built it.

Thanks

Besides the VOD, you can stream media content from any computer connected to your network to the HR20 and therefore onto your TV. I've heard talk that in the future the network connection may do away with the need to have a phone line connected to get PPV. Of course you can order PPV online and don't need the phone line anyway. The online DVR scheduler doesn't use the Internet conneciton on your HR20. That is done via the satellite.

I haven't tried it, but PPV supposedly is already enabled via the internet connection. There are some other features upcoming which will use the internet--see the CE threads.

There are a number of free movies via On Demand, mostly older ones from FMC, TCM, etc. The selection is pretty meager, but growing.

Yes. For instance, The Smithsonian Channel has the largest supply of free HD content last time I checked. It's good stuff, if you are into the Smithsonian content. The VOD will only display or allow downloading of content for channels that are in your package. So if you have HBO, but not Showtime, you cannot access/download/view the Showtime VOD content, but the HBO On Demand stuff is there for the taking.

Very cool. Ill prob another powerline extender then for behind the tv so I can easily supply HSI to the hr20.

So if you have HBO, but not Showtime, you cannot access/download/view the Showtime VOD content, but the HBO On Demand stuff is there for the taking.

Actually, D* doesn't have HBO/Cinemax on Demand. That's the biggest weakness with D*'s on demand content. But there is Showtime, Starz, Encore, The Movie Channel and Flix on demand channels.

Sorry for the confusion...bottom line: if you normally get a channel in your package, you can access/download content from the On Demand service for that channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts