What is(are) the benefits of the TiVo Mini?

rc811002

Ray
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 23, 2005
St. Louis
I have two Roamios and they can "see" each other, you know, programs and movies. I am just using OTA wired to many rooms. I want to add a room so I am thinking another Roamio would do the same thing as a Mini at 1/3 the price. What am I missing?

The mini includes product lifetime service. The Roamio at that price sits on an obligation of $15/mo for 1 year or $500 lifetime. Mini is much cheaper. BTW, Mini is now $149 at the TIVO site.

Reactions: Mr Tony
But, ya gotta have a Roamio to feed the MOCA to the mini, it is not stand alone, IIRC.

The TiVo mini is cheaper than another receiver with lifetime. You do not have a monthly charge on the mini. If you are connected to cable the mini also does not need a cable card, so you save some there too.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Of course if the Roamio feeding the Mini goes out, the Mini goes out too. Trade-off: dollars for reliability.
True enough, but I have found the TIVOs to be quite reliable. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also, this was all in the context of the original poster. He had 2 Roamios installed already, so he would need both main units to fail before he lost the Mini.

The advantage of the mini over another Roamio with OTA, (beyond cost) is that you get your signal over your home network, not directly off your antenna. So if you would have a long cable run and a splitter you save that signal degradation. The long cable run from the antenna on the roof, down to the amp/splitter in the basement, then back up to the 2nd floor bedrooms in my house was a big factor in my decision to go with Minis in the bedrooms. Since you have 2 Roamios already I really can not see any circumstance where you would need more than your current 8 tuners with OTA. The Roamios do not have built in Moca, so you will need to put a Moca adapter somewhere if you do not have the room where the Mini is going already hardwired to your network. I did that by putting a network switch and Moca adapters in the basement next to the Splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)