What is best deal for a new 7 room basic service package?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I'm building a beach rental home and want to put basic satellite tv in each room (7 rooms).

What is the "cheapest" way to buy a package deal, including hardware and programming for a 7 room setup? Would like to avoid buying hardware. WOuld like locals if avaiable. I like the 4 room package at 31.95/month, but I need 7 rooms.

Also, if you think I can get a better "package deal" from direct-tv, please let me know.

Thanks!

bradesp

You can get 4 free rooms max. You will have to buy receivers for the other 3 rooms. You are looking at maybe 1 311 and 1 322 (basic receivers) at Dishstore.net for $99 + $149 = $248.00 plus a switch. Depending on what E* installs, maybe a DP34 will do so add another $65.00.

As for the programming add $5 for each receiver after the first one, so it will be
6 x $5 = $30 + $31.95 = $61.95 in programming. We will need your zipcode to see if the locals are available.

As you can see, it gets expensive when you have multiple rooms. That should give you a rough idea. One more question, will you be watching TV on all 7 rooms at the same time? You can split the output of the 4 receivers to the other rooms if needed.

RandallA said:
As for the programming add $5 for each receiver after the first one, so it will be
6 x $5 = $30 + $31.95 = $61.95 in programming. We will need your zipcode to see if the locals are available.

Not necessarily and you're giving him contradictory information which isn't helpful. You're assuming he gets all single-tuner receivers. Your own example included a 322 which is a dual-tuner receiver so it wouldn't be 6 x $5. Dual-tuner receivers, which serve two separate rooms, are billed as one receiver assuming that receiver is connected to your home phone line. At 7 rooms with 1 single and 3 dual-tuner receivers, it would be an additional $15 (one receiver is included in the package price) on top of the $31.95 (excluding any DVR or HD programming fees). If you aren't going to be watching programming on all 7 TVs at one time, you could use a backfeed to distribute a feed to additional TVs and eliminate some receivers.

It use to be that could not have more than 6 receivers on an account. If thats still the case you will need at least 1 dual tuner receiver (as mentioned above). Otherwise you will need 2 accounts set up.

tysonwetzel said:
If it's a rental property, you are supposed to use the commercial program.

Not only that but if he can make it qualify for an MDU or FTG account, he can get very basic programing for $1.20 per room per month. Then he can add other channels ala-carte for a few bucks more. For example he could add locals for $.50 more and add all the encores for $1.85.

Is any of the rental program information available on line? This could be a more economical way to go.

For clarification, I want 7 single tuner boxes for simplicity. This is a beach rental with theoretical potential for all 7 tv's running at the same time. I need this to be idiot proof since I'll be dealing with seasonal renters.

bradesp

Call your property a resort, motel, or a condo and tell them you have 7 rooms. Dont call it a rental home cause they might want to make a it a public commercial account. Then the rates would be high. btw, what state is the place in ?

Does the program providers only allow this on commercial properties? This is the type of packaging many consumers have asked for in the past. If you look at a commercial package you will notice that the owner of a suite of channels will create a small package for a small amount, just what the consumers want. This is what ExpressVu has had in the past, something similar to this.

Well, I suppose you can get a commercial account if you say you do some sort of business in your dwelling, but MDU and Free-to-Guest is limited to such type of dwellings and not a single family home and not dependent on whether you do business there. You'd want a commercial account if you want to do 7 receivers on one account AND don't want to do a MDU or FTG account. Besides, rental rooms may not qualify for MDU or FTG qualifications. But, if you "zone" your house into multiple apartment numbers, then you may pass. That's grey area that I have no expertise in so I'll stop there.

But on the topic at hand. I asked this recently to a CSR and they said that "a maxium of 6 receivers are allowed on one residential account". So that could theoretically be for 12 rooms if you use 6 dual-tuner, dual-room receivers. But the cost of doing this setup, paying for 2 dual-room receivers will run around $400 at least while the switch and extra receiver installations can add a few hundred on top of that. For a residential account, this can be expensive but doable.

But if you're going to run into different programming needs for each renter, don't do a residentail account or even a commercial account. Try the FTG and MDU programming, if you qualify.

So in summary:

Residential
- 6 receivers on 1 account (dual-tuner receivers count as 1 receiver). So you have to do at least 1 dual-tuner receiver in 2 of the 7 rooms to get around this limitation.
- You pay and own for extra receivers upfront when you go beyond 4 tuners on DHA promo.
-Programming available is same for ALL the receivers on one account.

Commercial
- Not sure on the limit, but definitely more than 6.
- You pay for extra receivers beyond the 1st unless if you do two 2800 receivers.
- Programming available is same for ALL the receivers on one account.

MDU/FTG

- Not sure on the limit but obviously enough to fill apartments, hotels and such.
- You can do new customer promo on each resident that moves in.
- You can own all the equipment (upfront cost) and then allow the resident to "share" the account via a QAM system from a number of channels purchased for the entire account.

Now, I'm being very general in all of this, so it's best to contact your local DISH retailer and/or DISH commercial line for more info. This was a general comparison, so don't quote me on this. It's because I may be outdated on some of the information I presented here. ;)

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I asked this recently to a CSR and they said that "a maximum of 6 receivers are allowed on one residential account". So that could theoretically be for 12 rooms if you use 6 dual-tuner, dual-room receivers.

QUOTE] this is not true csr told me that as well, well one day i called the receiver audit team and they then told me that the limits of receivers on a residential account is 8. This is true my account is residential and i have 8 receivers

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
MDU/FTG

- Not sure on the limit but obviously enough to fill apartments, hotels and such.
- You can do new customer promo on each resident that moves in.
- You can own all the equipment (upfront cost) and then allow the resident to "share" the account via a QAM system from a number of channels purchased for the entire account.

There is no reciever limit for those accounts. Keep in mind that there are 2 ways to wire those type of properties, headend or L band distribution. Headend's are used for meduim to large hotels. All the equipment is centraly located and there is receiver and modulator for each channel. The channels are then distributed thru a cable network. So if they have 100 channels, then they have 100 receivers. Lband has a reciever in every room fed from one dish array. This type is more for condo's and small motels. That is why those accounts are billed by the room and not the receiver.

Stargazer said:
Does the program providers only allow this on commercial properties? This is the type of packaging many consumers have asked for in the past. If you look at a commercial package you will notice that the owner of a suite of channels will create a small package for a small amount, just what the consumers want. This is what ExpressVu has had in the past, something similar to this.

Sorry, dish network wants to make money by charging you for channels you never will watch. :)

As per the retailer chat you can put in 6 dual tuner recievers = 12 seperate tuners on one account.

They went over this in one of the last 2 chats.

But to be honest I think your best bet would be basic cable and split it 7 ways as long as you don't need boxes for each TV.

I see problem written all over what your tring to do.

1 You will need phone lines to your 4 boxes that you will have to pay for extra phone line, Basic cable no phone needed.

2 Renters ordering movies and possible long distance charges on the phone line.

3 Kid disconnecting the boxes to hook up there video games and not hooking them back up or doing it wrong I have seen this in hotel I have stayed at.

I am a Dish retailer and installer if it was my rental I would go with basic cable. and TV's with AV jacks on the front.

You are only allowed 6 receivers on a residential account not 8.

Also if you refer to the Retailer Chat on 10-13-05 and they address this issue. You are allowed to have up to 6 Receivers and up to 12 tuners on 1 residential account.

So Mr Phillips I think you need to read your retailer rules or watch a charlie chat. The only way you have 8 receivers on your account is if you were grand fathered in under old rule.

I have been a retailer since 1999 and the 6 receiver rule has been there since I started.

this is not true i have a residential account with 8 receivers, although i had to jump through hoops to get this done, call audit team ask them, they will tell you 8 is the max.

if 6 is max how do i have 8 on a residential account?

no, i think you should call audit team ask them then post back here that I am right and you are wrong :D

no i wasn't grandfathered in, my dishnet service started 4-22-2004

Read your business rules and watch the chat from 10-13-05 at about the 41 min mark and Jimmy D will state it.

How you have 8 on your account I don't know and I don't care the rule is 6 and I don't think you should be telling people 8 when that is in correct information and could cost this person money that they might be able to recoupe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)