Status
Please reply by conversation.

arxaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Arkansas Ozarks
In my list of subscribed programming at the D* web site, it shows the following
To Our Valued Customer: Network: CBS HD , Network: FOX HD , Network: NBC HD , Network: ABC HD, TOTAL CHOICE PLUS , SHOWTIME, Block Viewing
What is "Block Viewing"?

Blocks usually refer to a "blocks of time" like 3hrs of viewing on a PPV or event channel as opposed to the viewing of just one show. This is usually in the adult PPV areas, but you are saying it is in your subscribed billing? Weird?

Yes, it's in the list of subscribed programming. I've never ordered any PPV events or movies, and the receivers aren't connected to phone lines. There's nothing unusual in the bill, either.

I'm not going to bother calling them about it. With my luck, they would shut off HD-DNS just for calling in!

New guy here, long time lurker, great site.

I think I can answer the "block viewing" question. Block viewing showed up on my account when I opted out of Directv collecting my viewing information. This option is in your account settings.

epaul,

Thanks. That's got to be it!.

I recently went to the D* web site and opted out of D* collecting personal data about which channels and programs I watch.

I don't have a phone line connected, but I still blocked viewing information collection, in case I ever decided to connect to the phone line in the future.

That option really should be opt-IN, not opt-OUT, since most people aren't aware that D* collects viewing data.

arxaw said:
epaul,

Thanks. That's got to be it!.

I recently went to the D* web site and opted out of D* collecting personal data about which channels and programs I watch.

I don't have a phone line connected, but I still blocked viewing information collection, in case I ever decided to connect to the phone line in the future.

That option really should be opt-IN, not opt-OUT, since most people aren't aware that D* collects viewing data.

Where do you go on D*'s site to opt out of the viewing collection ???

Just curious, I have no need to object, but it is info I did not know was available.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Where do you go on D*'s site to opt out of the viewing collection ?
1. Login to http://www.directv.com

2. Click on My DirecTV/My Profile

3. Scroll to the bottom of that page and click the last option:
"Do Not Allow Data Collection
Your receivers do not collect information about viewing habits."

4. Click UPDATE to change the setting.

5. When the page reloads, verify your change and click CONTINUE.

Last edited:
arxaw said:
1. Login to http://www.directv.com

2. Click on My DirecTV/My Profile

3. Scroll to the bottom of that page and click the last option:
"Do Not Allow Data Collection
Your receivers do not collect information about viewing habits."

4. Click UPDATE to change the setting.

5. When the page reloads, verify your change and click CONTINUE.

Realize that if you opt-out, they can't generate numbers that support dropping infomercial channels from the lineup.

jpn said:
Realize that if you opt-out, they can't generate numbers that support dropping infomercial channels from the lineup.
They don't care who's whatching those damned things, as long as they get paid to put them on D*.

Exactly. If nobody is watching, who pays to show them?

The point of info telling what folks watch isn't used to identify anybody in-particular. It's the entire scope of viewers, telling what kinds of shows get exxposure (and which don't).

The sad fact is that if D* doesn't approximatesly meet the desires of its viewers, then they'll lose lots of viewers.

I'd rather they know what I watch (and want to watch) so they can show more like it.

jpn said:
If nobody is watching, who pays to show them?
Ratings might influence which channels D* pays to carry in its programming, but they couldn't care less how many people watch a stupid shopping/informercial channel. The shopping/infomercial channels are paying D* to be in the channel lineup.

I doubt that D* would give out subscriber viewing information to channels that pay D* to be carried. If they told a station nobody was watching, the station might pull its programming and D* would lose a cash cow.

Regardless of what they do with the information, I think collecting subscribers' viewing habits should be an Opt-IN option, not Opt-OUT.

arxaw said:
Regardless of what they do with the information, I think collecting subscribers' viewing habits should be an Opt-IN option, not Opt-OUT.

Your consumer habits are being watched by many many different people. DirecTV is just one of them. They've probably been using that information for years and have now given you a chance to Opt-Out. I don't think it was necessary for them to offer that. It should be part of the agreement to get service is they can track viewing habits of their customers.

-JustBob

isn't data collection moot for those like me that wait a few weeks between phone line connects? What do they do with it? trash it or merge it?

JustBob said:
... They've probably been using that information for years and have now given you a chance to Opt-Out.
They haven't been using viewing info from me because I've not connected the phone line since 1995 when lightning came through the phone line and fried my D* receiver (yes, it was properly grounded and connected to surge prot.)!

Same thing here. I opted out this pass month as well and it showed up on the new bill for me as well.

I leave all 8 of my receivers on 24-7. I do not want a receiver left on say speed channel all night making it look like I was up watching the stupid infomercials on all night.

I got up at like 4 am the other night and turned on the TV. Had been watching "pinks" before going to bed. Some bible thumper was on there doing a infomercial selling tickets to heaven, last thing I want someone thinking I would watch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)