What is cheapest way to add AC3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phottoman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have just begun to play with C Band. I was so excited to blind scan after the trouble I've had with the Conaxsat DUO (painful) and aquired a Coolsat 5000. What a difference.

HOWEVER, that being said, there are a few channels that I would really like to watch, Ohio Sports, America One, a couple of the PBS stations and a few others. They are all using AC3. I know I can't get them without a Dolby Converter of some sort, but what to get?

Anything cheap?

Photto

The Sonic Voom Headphones have been a Godsend for a lot of people around here: Just plug in your box to the adapter that comes with it and it's working. Mine were about $20 after shipping.

Unfortunately I don't see any around right now -- not on Ebay at least. Google the phrase and do some looking around in auctions and hopefully it's come up or someone will post a link.

You may also want to try Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA Digital-to-Analog Audio Converter that supports AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital In, converting it to Stereo Out. Its more expensive, but gives a higher quality sound. Sonic Voom is long discontinued, so harry, if you want to buy one from Amazon. :)

Attachments

• Gefen AC3 Digital_to_Analog Audio Converter gtv-dd-2-aa.jpg
    Gefen AC3 Digital_to_Analog Audio Converter gtv-dd-2-aa.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
that's a good one!

$129 vs $20... that's why we recommend the Sonic Voom (or whatever name it currently goes by) - :cool:

heck I bought a simple home theatre system at wally world for less than that (paid about 50 bucks) and it does dolby digital :)

I just bought one of the sonic vooms last week on ebay for $18.95 with free shipping. It's a pretty neat toy.

This is a link to the ended auction but it may help you find another one on ebay...
CyberHome SonicVoom 6-Speaker Surround Sound Headphones - eBay (item 360176469708 end time Aug-12-09 16:45:58 PDT)

I saw them on Amazon as well. They were cheaper but didn't have free shipping so they ended up being almost the exact same price. The link Anole provided above has an Amazon link to some.

the price is tempting. With the CS5000 now having AC-3 output after that software upgrade I did might need one for the computer room for PBS :)

OK, after all the reading, and chasing all those wonderful links, I finally took a look at the _what I thought was a stereo_ in the living room, and have a few questions.

Thank you all that contributed.

I bought an HD Ready TV many years ago, whole different story, but for buying it AT THAT TIME, I also was able to purchase my first (and only) 5.1 surround sound system. And it IS Dolby (has the logo on the front). Now, do I need to get a special audio link for that, or are the componant left and right (white and red) connections I am already using all I need to get AC3?

I *think* there is a place to input a fiber optic line from the DUO (there IS one for 'out' on the DUO) to the 5.1 or is the two line output from the DUO to the Sony all I need?

(edit ... sorry, I thought there was an optic IN on the 5.1. There isn't, only the two line in (red and white) and multiple (6) line out for 5.1 sound)

And, just to make thinks a tad more complicated, CAN I slave one DUO off the other and still get AC3 from the slaved receiver?

Thanks everyone. I have really enjoyed all this information.

Photto

I bought a cheap stereo system some years ago, too.
It had optical OUT, .... but not IN. - :rant:

Yea, a slaved receiver still operates independently, decoding what it gets.
Only problem is that it cannot select Vert/Horiz, nor which bird.

I bought a cheap stereo system some years ago, too.
It had optical OUT, .... but not IN. - :rant:

Yea, a slaved receiver still operates independently, decoding what it gets.
Only problem is that it cannot select Vert/Horiz, nor which bird.

Well, it IS called a HOBBY for a reason. I got the "slave" part to work, but it is not giving me the audio I was hoping for. I guess the red and white will NOT get me AC3.

I guess I have to find a cheap, used or very innexpensive couple of audio receivers with optical IN so I can get this.

At least I now know how to slave one receiver to another, which is going to be GREAT so Phottoette can have her TV in the living room. I have found out, the Master receiver doesn't have to be on, it will still receive at least the last channel I had on in the bedroom. That part is cool, she kind'a gets stuck on RTV anyway, so I guess I'm going to have to break down and get another dish and dedicate it just to RTV.

Thank you Green One for your input.

Anyone out there got a cheap dolby for sale? I haven't looked in the classified section yet.

Photto

The Sonicvoom thing I posted in post 8 you can use the rca plugs (red/white)

receiver---Dolby out---sonic voom---rca red/white cables---audio receiver

The Sonicvoom thing I posted in post 8 you can use the rca plugs (red/white)

receiver---Dolby out---sonic voom---rca red/white cables---audio receiver

Thanks, Iceberg. That one includes the battery. I think I read someplace there is alos an optional charge, but I didn't see it listed on his ebay page. I wrote and asked him a couple of questions, I'll be ordering two of these.

And I think one more posting for my 100th, think I'll hold off for that till I see something worth while (snicker)

Photto

Yea, do what Iceberg said!

And, I don't think there are any (certainly not mainstream) Standard Def FTA receivers which decode Dolby.
The HD FTA receivers pretty much all DO. :D

So, the Dolby decoder -is- the cheap solution. - :rolleyes:

Phottoman

Your A/V Receiver might have a digital coax audio IN instead of optical audio IN. Check all around it, including its Manual. It will work too, if you sat receiver has digital coax audio OUT.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)