What is going to happen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have ran video over a 3 mbps connection and was glad to get it.

The smarter communities are learning real fast.
“Wireline bandwidth is an almost unlimited resource due to advances in Internet
architecture,” Hyman wrote. “The marginal cost of providing an extra gigabyte of
data—enough to deliver one episode of 30 Rock from Netflix—is less than one
cent, and falling.”

Dish network want's net neutrality for their new internet TV service, Look who is fighting it.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...le-to-59-of-us-while-gigabit-still-at-just-3/
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021919288

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/lobbyists-net-neutrality-fcc/

Tisk, Tisk, 4k is for upper echelon subscribers, Us peons will be more than happy to get 780/ 1080i for a few years until 4k becomes the new standard.

I see you cannot read either.

I told you to ignore 4k references.

This is about a REAL PROBLEM TODAY, when there is virtually NO 4K traffic.

The Uplink Data did not jump to 9% recently because of 4k, because there are not enough 4k sets to even come close to that number.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I see you cannot read either.

I told you to ignore 4k references.

This is about a REAL PROBLEM TODAY, when there is virtually NO 4K traffic.

The Uplink Data did not jump to 9% recently because of 4k, because there are not enough 4k sets to even come close to that number.
"Of course, this change could also be temporary since it has fluctuated in past instances during previous years"
. Netflix is working on making their packets smaller. They will work it out.
It's a well known fact that internet tv/video will do nothing but grow, grow, grow in the future, it will have it's bumps, but internet speeds are growing and becoming cheaper to meet the demand. Everyone I know are currently receiving Netflix smoothly right now on low bandwidth.

Remember, all we need is 5-10 mbps. 98 % of the US is already covered with at least 3mbps. 3mbps can do acceptable video for the consumer who lives in a non progressive area or can not afford better service.. It is a good thing that the FCC is raising the broadband definition to 10mbps.
NuTV knows this, jumping to get in this sector, no more installs, take downs, service calls, vans running around all day, labor, uniforms etc. etc. etc,. Who do you think is paying for all that overhead?
Where do you get your "fact" for the bolded? Is that DSL? Here's a hint, just because an IP claims to provide "3mbps", that's probably closer to 1mbps or less. My DSL (before I got cable internet) NEVER got above 1.5, even though the "plan" I was on was the 3mbps.

I do believe fiber will eventually get to more households, however, it's going to take a LONG time, and probably not be much cheaper than what we pay for DBS.

Where do you get your "fact" for the bolded? Is that DSL? Here's a hint, just because an IP claims to provide "3mbps", that's probably closer to 1mbps or less. My DSL (before I got cable internet) NEVER got above 1.5, even though the "plan" I was on was the 3mbps.

I do believe fiber will eventually get to more households, however, it's going to take a LONG time, and probably not be much cheaper than what we pay for DBS.
You are aware that common copper phone lines can do 1 gig for the last mile.Also microwave and a few other technologies can do a gig for the last few miles. Communities that are not proactive will be the last to get decent speed, Citizens in progressive Communities all over the country are coming together to demand, and getting fast, cheap connections. Remember it would not take a lot a money just to get a simple 5-10 mbps connection. If communities can lay 1 gig. fiber to the home for 49 bucks a month, I am willing to bet it would cost no more/probably cheaper to use the latest tech. just to get 5/10mbps.
https://gigaom.com/2014/04/06/maybe-you-dont-need-a-gig-wireless-might-bridge-the-broadband-gap/
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-10gbps-broadband-via-copper-phone-lines.html

You are aware that common copper phone lines can do 1 gig for the last mile.Also microwave and a few other technologies can do a gig for the last few miles. Communities that are not proactive will be the last to get decent speed, Citizens in progressive Communities all over the country are coming together to demand, and getting fast, cheap connections. Remember it would not take a lot a money just to get a simple 5-10 mbps connection. If communities can lay 1 gig. fiber to the home for 49 bucks a month, I am willing to bet it would cost no more/probably cheaper to use the latest tech. just to get 5/10mbps.
https://gigaom.com/2014/04/06/maybe-you-dont-need-a-gig-wireless-might-bridge-the-broadband-gap/
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-10gbps-broadband-via-copper-phone-lines.html

Again, as typical, you are looking at one price.

It cost much more than $49 a month to lay fiber to the home.

And Municipalities are not printing money at a printing press like the US Government to pay for that installation.

It is being paid for at a major cost by the residents in other fees. You just fail to realize that fact.

So your $49 argument is just a red herring.

Reactions: Mr Tony
It doesn't really matter what's technically possible. It matters whether someone (whether company or government) will put out the infrastructure. Yes, I do believe it will happen. It just won't happen as soon as you think it will.

Reactions: SomeRandomIdiot
It doesn't really matter what's technically possible. It matters whether someone (whether company or government) will put out the infrastructure. Yes, I do believe it will happen. It just won't happen as soon as you think it will.
The government that you mention is "You & I" . When people get to work on this problem they either scare the incumbent provider into action or form their own group and do it thru a gov. entity, happening all the time in progressive communities that take the bull by the horns. Often times in these smaller communities the mayor's sister runs the local phone co., it's just a matter of rooting them out and demanding better.

The government that you mention is "You & I" . When people get to work on this problem they either scare the incumbent provider into action or form their own group and do it thru a gov. entity, happening all the time in progressive communities that take the bull by the horns. Often times in these smaller communities the mayor's sister runs the local phone co., it's just a matter of rooting them out and demanding better.
Right. "High speed internet" will be the next dividing line when it comes to politicians. :confused: Would you like to come back to the real world anytime soon?

Reactions: SomeRandomIdiot

Gosh, maybe a Community Organizer can get right on that.....you know, like the "Yes We Can" Community Organizer 15 years ago who found out "No He Could Not".

When you are in a small population, underserved, rural area, it can happen quicker than you think.. We can gripe and whine all we want to, or we can make it happen. That simple.
I, Paul LePage, Mike Michaud or Eliot Cutler, candidate for governor of the state of Maine, acknowledge the following facts:

“Only optical fiber connections to the Internet will give Maine the speed and adaptability to grow into a prosperous digital future.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/...d-on-high-speed-internet-maine-needs-to-hear/
http://www.courant.com/politics/cap...ighspeed-internet-project-20141219-story.html

Years ago I had only DTV or DISH. DTV irritated me when they billed by through Pegaus that seemed to only have the purpose of red lining rural customers with no other options to extract a few more bucks. Like the satellites have problems reaching 20 miles further than where my brother on a lower rate lives?

Dish came out with a deal for a PVR, the 508 and I bought the unit and switched. I had to cut down a few trees to make it work but It has been working for 15 years or so. Dish is retiring the reciever in May, I'm not cutting down more trees if they want me to use other than 110 and 119.

Then this Fox fiasco came up during the 16 days off I have over the holidays. That has really irritated me. I have a 200 channel package that I only watch Cspan1&2, Fox News, Fox Business, and Comedy Central. For movies, I do netflix.

Now I have a cable company that went digital, there is still cable in the ground coming into the house. The phone company is providing DSL for me and would be happy to provide the programs I'm watching. Uncle has their service and it works fine.

I really don't care what Fox wants, If I could drop ESPN that is crammed down my throat, I'd save money.

I'm all for full ala cart over internet. There is no way my five programs is going to cost me 70 dollars and you folks can pay your way as I'm willing to do my self. C span likely will rise to 5 bucks but that is cool, I'll get Cspan-3.

I've been lurking, finally signed up, first post.

When you are in a small population, underserved, rural area, it can happen quicker than you think.. We can gripe and whine all we want to, or we can make it happen. That simple.
I, Paul LePage, Mike Michaud or Eliot Cutler, candidate for governor of the state of Maine, acknowledge the following facts:

“Only optical fiber connections to the Internet will give Maine the speed and adaptability to grow into a prosperous digital future.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/...d-on-high-speed-internet-maine-needs-to-hear/
http://www.courant.com/politics/cap...ighspeed-internet-project-20141219-story.html

Should we list all the statements that Politicians made that never get acted on when they are in office? Remember the promise that all bills would be posted on the White House Website and left for people to comment for 3 days before the President Signed? That one was broken within hours of Inauguration and NEVER happened.

Besides that, the above is NOT EVEN A POLITICAL PROMISE OR INITIATIVE. It is what a website is saying a Politician Should say.

Hey, anything can be done. But SOMEONE has to pay for it, which you apparently do not understand.

Talk is Cheap. Results take REAL MONEY.

Years ago I had only DTV or DISH. DTV irritated me when they billed by through Pegaus that seemed to only have the purpose of red lining rural customers with no other options to extract a few more bucks. Like the satellites have problems reaching 20 miles further than where my brother on a lower rate lives?

Dish came out with a deal for a PVR, the 508 and I bought the unit and switched. I had to cut down a few trees to make it work but It has been working for 15 years or so. Dish is retiring the reciever in May, I'm not cutting down more trees if they want me to use other than 110 and 119.

Then this Fox fiasco came up during the 16 days off I have over the holidays. That has really irritated me. I have a 200 channel package that I only watch Cspan1&2, Fox News, Fox Business, and Comedy Central. For movies, I do netflix.

Now I have a cable company that went digital, there is still cable in the ground coming into the house. The phone company is providing DSL for me and would be happy to provide the programs I'm watching. Uncle has their service and it works fine.

I really don't caer what Fox wants, If I could drop ESPN that is crammed down my throat, I'd save money.

I'm all for full ala cart over internet. There is no way my five programs is going to cost me 70 dollars and you folks can pay your way as I'm willing to do my self. C span likely will rise to 5 bucks but that is cool, I'll get Cspan-3.

C-Span is essentially free. Funded by the Cable Companies.

And to be perfectly honest, I understand how you feel, but Fox News has been almost nothing but pre-recorded shows or fill in hosts over the past 2 weeks - so you did not miss much.

They clearly gave the majority off and did not have the staff for when News happened over the Holidays.

You could watch coverage of the missing plane live on CNN or watch the rerun of "The Man Who Shot UBL" on Fox News, even with CNN's insane statements such as "terrorist plots do not happen in bad weather".

I just don't/can't believe your 98%, 5-10 mbps claim. Provide your source, please.
I don't want to side with his argument because it does not take into account data caps. $g covers a lot of area, but I wouldn't use it for streaming tv. Satellite internet is available to probably 98% of the US, with 10 meg service (Exede, Hughsnet) but low caps and high inherent latency make it impracticable too. The argument can be made, it just doesn't hold up from a practicality standpoint.
You need a reliable, reasonably fast ISP with sufficient data caps to make it worth it in the first place, then you have to factor in the costs.

Out of the 200? million tv subscribers out there, how many are capable of receiving TV over the internet? anybody.

Out of the 200? million tv subscribers out there, how many are capable of receiving TV over the internet? anybody.

There are only 114M TV Households in the USA this year and only roughly 100M MVPD subscribers.

Again, we see how knowledgeable you are.

And to answer your question 0% can "receive" TV over the internet.

If your question is how many TV Households have some type of connection to the Internet for their TV, that figure would be 45% in 2014.

However, that does not mean 45% of the TV Households can watch current TV Programming online. That number is skewed heavy to Netflix subs, roku, Playstations, Xboxes etc.

There are only 114M TV Households in the USA this year and only roughly 100M MVPD subscribers.

Again, we see how knowledgeable you are.

And to answer your question 0% can "receive" TV over the internet.
I am guessing an easy 75 million of those 100 million are capable receiving the new,cheaper, smaller packaged tv channels, thats a lot of potential customers that the traditional sat ,cable phone companies stand to loose. No wonder most of them are offering the service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts