What is included in the DirecTv "Free Install"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lars1999

Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
I am switching from Dish to DirecTv after 9 years and my "Free" install is scheduled next week. I cannot find on the DirecTv web page info on the parameters of the "Free" install. Is it published somewhere? I guess that would be a good starting point.

With Dish Network I have/had 2 HD DVRS (using single line feeds with diplexers/splitters for OTA and the 2 tuners) and 2 SD receivers (also single lines (prewired in the walls).

With DirecTv I will have 2 HD DVRs (a hr20 and a hr21) installed along with 2 HD receivers (do not know the model).

Here are some additional questions that I need help on if this will fall under "Free" install or "Custom".

Can I direct them to use my current wiring which is in good shape?

Can I have them route the additional Sat feed lines required for the DirecTv DVRs thru the basement and then fished from the floor to my Media Closets in my living and family rooms? This is where/how the current Dish Network DVR cable is already routed.

Is it an extra charge to run a 3rd line for the HR-20 OTA from my antenna amplifier in the basement?

I do not want the installer to take ugly shortcuts that require alot of cable stapled on the side of my house or on my baseboards inside when there is existing routes already installed by Dish that minimize this.

But I also want to be fair with the installer. So to make a long story short, would this a "Free" or a "Custom" installation? Opinions please.

I am switching from Dish to DirecTv after 9 years and my "Free" install is scheduled next week. I cannot find on the DirecTv web page info on the parameters of the "Free" install. Is it published somewhere? I guess that would be a good starting point.

With Dish Network I have/had 2 HD DVRS (using single line feeds with diplexers/splitters for OTA and the 2 tuners) and 2 SD receivers (also single lines (prewired in the walls).

With DirecTv I will have 2 HD DVRs (a hr20 and a hr21) installed along with 2 HD receivers (do not know the model).

Here are some additional questions that I need help on if this will fall under "Free" install or "Custom".

Can I direct them to use my current wiring which is in good shape?
Yes, as long as it meets DirecTV's requirements (RG-6)

Can I have them route the additional Sat feed lines required for the DirecTv DVRs thru the basement and then fished from the floor to my Media Closets in my living and family rooms? This is where/how the current Dish Network DVR cable is already routed.
You most likely will have to pay custom labor work for this. The tech will run cables that are required as part of the install for no charge, but any extra cabling will result in a cost to you. Any fishing is considered to be custom labor, also.

Is it an extra charge to run a 3rd line for the HR-20 OTA from my antenna amplifier in the basement?
OTA is not part of the standard installation, and you should expect to pay custom labor charges for this as well.

I do not want the installer to take ugly shortcuts that require alot of cable stapled on the side of my house or on my baseboards inside when there is existing routes already installed by Dish that minimize this.

But I also want to be fair with the installer. So to make a long story short, would this a "Free" or a "Custom" installation? Opinions please.
Talk it over with the installer before he starts any work, and make sure that the two of you agree with the work to be done.

Shouldn't 2 lines per DirecTv HD DVR be part of the "Free" install? In my case they would only be running the required cable needed.

Got it. Thanks Dgenx321. What is the going rate for that kind of work, is it per hour or per job?

Shouldn't 2 lines per DirecTv HD DVR be part of the "Free" install? In my case they would only be running the required cable needed.

Yes it is...

As far OTA, its best to do it yourself anyway. It also is best you select the best antenna for your specific need as well.

Got it. Thanks Dgenx321. What is the going rate for that kind of work, is it per hour or per job?

Sorry I wasn't clear about what I posted earlier. Yes, any cabling required for the install is included in the standard installation. When I read your post, I thought you were asking about running additional, spare cabling to your media center.

Custom labor varies by what company is doing the work. Some charge per hour, some per half-hour, and some have flat rates for each type of custom labor.

The company I worked for charged $37.50 per half-hour of custom labor, but wall fishes were always listed as at least 1 hour ($75.00) for each fish.

Custom labor varies by what company is doing the work. Some charge per hour, some per half-hour, and some have flat rates for each type of custom labor.

The company I worked for charged $37.50 per half-hour of custom labor, but wall fishes were always listed as at least 1 hour ($75.00) for each fish.

Wall-fishing rates are the same for my HSP... $37.50/half hour, with a 1-hour minimum.

Wall-fishing rates are the same for my HSP... $37.50/half hour, with a 1-hour minimum.

If they are having to install another cable (so that there are two total) then wouldn't they have to "fish" to get it in the wall? For example, our living room has a two story ceiling (and no basement), so I'm pretty sure they would have to use fish tape to get it run.

Is that a "custom" install, and wouldn't be included in the free installation?

Yes any fishing through walls or finised basements i believe is considered custom. On direct web page they say that when ordering under the install section.

Yes any fishing through walls or finised basements i believe is considered custom. On direct web page they say that when ordering under the install section.

Thanks. Looks like I'm either doing my own wiring then or waiting on the SWM that never seems like it will become mainstream.

Either way, I've got to get this worked out before the start of the MLB season! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts