What is my best strategy during free preview period

dlarruso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hey gang,
So i saw from the last charlie chat that there will be free Top 120 and Top 180 preview during Oct 5- Nov 5.
I need some strategy help. Here is my situation. I have top 120 and was planning on "upgrading" to top 180 on Oct 8 for one day to watch a football game that will be on the new channel "Versus" that is on the top 180, then downgrading to the top 120 the next day (yes I know about the $5 downgrade fee).
Because of the free preview period I am not going to have to do this now.

My questions to you fellas is does Dish only upgrade you to the next highest package (i.e. 60 to 120 and 120 to 180) during this promotion period. If not and they upgrade everyone to top 180, wouldn't it be in my best interest to drop down to the top 60 a day before the promotion so to pay as little as possible during the free promo period, then upgrade back to Top 120 when over?

Thanks
-Dlarruso

LOL- Thank you for the wonderful Award

there are so many people I would like to thank.....

Seriously, I'm not usually a cheap skate but the last month I have racked up like $50+ in charges for ESPN gameplan and the wife is not going to love the bill that comes, so I am looking for any dollars I can save over the next few month...that and Dish never credited me for the 2 people I broght to dish through club dish so any time I can squeeze them for anything I get some satisfaction.

And yes I am the real karate kid.
Strike First! Strike Hard! No Mercy Sir!

First, don't forget to factor in the $5 downgrade fee. Second if it is like they do lately, the previews will come in on different channels and will be set up so you cannot conveniently DVR anything on those channels.

didn't chuck make the employees share hotel rooms on bizzness trips. hey Hall just like you change brodband companys every 6 months to save money. :)

jailbait said:
hey Hall just like you change brodband companys every 6 months to save money.
Try someone else.... I first got broadband in late 2000 and went with Earthlink/Mindspring. I switched to SBC a few months ago.... (2) ISPs in 6+ years. I'll bet most can't say that.

OK I am new to this, I just got my DISH 180 package, now how do you find out about these freebies and/or am I notified about these from Dish itself...

What more channels would I look for on top of my 180 package?

Here is a link that compares what channels come with each package. Is the HD. Please notice that it is a little out of date.
-Sorry, I just noticed you were asking about the free preview channels. Just look between channels 280-299. A good one now is Fox Espanol.

Last edited:
imthepcguy said:
OK I am new to this, I just got my DISH 180 package, now how do you find out about these freebies and/or am I notified about these from Dish itself...

What more channels would I look for on top of my 180 package?
If you already have 180 and they are giving a free preview of 180 you get nothing new.

Hold on one second. Has it been actually confirmed that the 120 and 180 free previews are the entire 120 and 180 lineups?

I was under the impression that when Charlie was talking about this he was simply referring to a continuation of the current free preview channels where they show a rotating lineup of 4 (or 6?) Top 120 or Top 180 channels. These channels then rotate on a regular basis.

I don't think Charlie was talking about giving everyone 180 for the month.

Am I wrong?

Anyone know if this is true

will the whole top180 be a free preview from Oct. 5 to Nov 5 or is this just a preview of a few channels from that lineup?

It's going to be all the channels and then on the weekends there offering a free preview of different movie channels. This weekend is showtime.

So today is the day free AT120 and AT180 was supposed to start. I am at AT60, and did not see these channels show up. Dish network CSR could not find anything about it (other than some selected channels in the free preview area, 280...). I directed her to the charlie chat, still no luck. I was hoping to catch more hockey for the month of October.

I am still convinced that Charlie was just waxing vainglorious, and that what he really meant to say (or said and is just being misinterpreted) was that there would be a continuation of the current rotating preview channels. I can't imagine them just turning top 180 on for everyone in the system, although I would be happy if they did!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)