What is the Best BD or HDDVD you have seen for PQ?

It's interesting to see people cite Serenity and I, Robot as great transfers.

Serenity has quite a few scenes where the VFX simply don't hold up. One that is most noticable to me is the scene where the gang is on the mule being chased by Reavers. Throughout, all of the smoke VFX looks terrible. Truly terrible.

I, Robot is generally a very good transfer but there are segments where the illusion breaks down dramatically. The scene that always comes to mind is the scene where Spooner and Calvin are in the robot factory and Spooner is walking through the ranks. Here, the illusion breaks down severely and it's clear that this is a green screen shot.

Animation almost always transfers well -- and the Pixar material may well have been rendered at 1920x800 (it's a 2.35:1 aspect ratio film).

Transformers gets very high marks, and it should. A few other really good ones are Mr. Brooks (Blu-ray), 2001: A Space Odyssey (HD-DVD) and Heroes Season 1 (HD-DVD and BD).

Cheers,

It's interesting to see people cite Serenity and I, Robot as great transfers.

Serenity has quite a few scenes where the VFX simply don't hold up. One that is most noticable to me is the scene where the gang is on the mule being chased by Reavers. Throughout, all of the smoke VFX looks terrible. Truly terrible.

I, Robot is generally a very good transfer but there are segments where the illusion breaks down dramatically. The scene that always comes to mind is the scene where Spooner and Calvin are in the robot factory and Spooner is walking through the ranks. Here, the illusion breaks down severely and it's clear that this is a green screen shot.

Cheers,

Good catch on 'I, Robot'. I usually will site that movie's PQ (from a rental), but will check out the scene that you're referring to. Best Buy is running a sale on it and I'm buying it on the way home.

Good catch on 'I, Robot'. I usually will site that movie's PQ (from a rental), but will check out the scene that you're referring to. Best Buy is running a sale on it and I'm buying it on the way home.

It is overall very good, but to be of reference quality, IMO that type of breakdown shouldn't be noticable.

In fairness, I am watching on a 10' wide screen with a front projector and am only sitting about 1 screen width away. This is quite close in comparison to how far someone sits while watching most flat panels or RPTV sets.

Cheers,

WOW! Thanks for the suggestion. I'd never have considered such a movie, but I watched the trailer and did a little reading up on it, after your comment. I'm ordering it tonight. It'll make my wife happy, and I'll enjoy it too!

OK so I had little expectations but the picture quality on Startship Troopers 3 is one of the best I have ever seen. The movies wasnt too bad until the end.

The Undead Thread Returns from the Grave.
Resurrection of the Forgotten.
Zombie Thread.
;) :up

Up to this date, out of live action movies on Blu-ray I have to say Baraka is clearly the best of the bunch. Nothing else live action-based beats it. The subject matter is an acquired taste. Think: long form music video with a pseudo environmental-artsy flair. Still, the imagery is quite staggering in its beauty. I watched this movie in 70mm back in the early 1990s in a very nice theater. Seeing this on Blu-ray is the next best thing.

Baraka was originally photographed in 70mm format. The 65mm camera negatives were scanned in 8K resolution and treated at the same resolution for digital intermediate work. This was an experimental project for MPI as a study of sorts to see if 8K work was practical to use with the IMAX material on The Dark Knight.

Another plus about the movie is its very good 24-bit 96kHz DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound track.

Baraka was criticised for its original, environmentally friendly paper board packaging. MPI Home Video listened to those complaints. Last time I visited Sam's Club I saw copies of Baraka there in standard Blu-ray packaging for $18.88.

After two months with BD:
Hell Boy 1 & 2
Black Book
Serenity
Mr. Brooks
Dark Knight

I wan to mention some Stellar examples of older movies, restored and on BD.

How The West Was Won (smilebox version)
Godfather
Dr No (as well as some others in the series)

Any ideas when the new Star Trek might come out on BD? THAT will likely make this list. It's not even up for pre-order on Amazon yet.

Any ideas when the new Star Trek might come out on BD? THAT will likely make this list. It's not even up for pre-order on Amazon yet.
Alot of people moan about the "lens flare" I love the look of this movie and the bridge scenes are very crisp...

New (since this thread came out)

Up
Earth (HD DVD UK Version)
Knowing
Inglorious Basterds
Monsters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)