What is the best color to paint your dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
What is the best color to paint your dish. I have read that it must be a dark color that won't reflect sunlight to the LNBF. However, I have seen white dishes. I will probably paint my dish beige or gray, but haven't decided yet.

Plus would spray paint be best?

As long as its a non metalic paint then anything goes. I just painted my 40" Primestar Matt Black.......

Attachments

• Pict0003.JPG
    Pict0003.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 620
  • Pict0009.JPG
    Pict0009.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 690
  • Pict0010.JPG
    Pict0010.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 583
In my limited reading I think the big thing was that it wasn't a gloss paint. Of course the paint I used was a gloss. I shot over top of the gloss with a satin clear. We'll see if my LNB smokes.

I like that new Krylon Fusion spray paint. It sticks to paint and that powder coating that is actually a plastic polymer.

Mine is painted in satin white.

A friend of mine who is an artist wants to "camo" paint my BUD so that it will fit in the surrounding landscape better, but i wasnt going to let him because i was afraid it might cause problems. Now that i know it wont be detrimental if he is carefull not to use metallic paints, i am going to give him the go ahead.

I remember back in the 80's when everybody and his brother had a satellite store, there was actually one brand of dish that was made with metalflake paint. As the story goes, it was just supposed to be sold to dealers for display purposes, but since these dealers were just interested in moving product a bunch of them got sold to consumers. :rolleyes:

I agree, I paint all my dish matt black. Here is a picture of a satellite dish painted the same colour as the customers home.....

Attachments

• Pict0001.JPG
    Pict0001.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 664
PSB said:
I agree, I paint all my dish matt black. Here is a picture of a satellite dish painted the same colour as the customers home.....

I see no dish ;)

I wonder if a mirror coating would be good camoflauge, I guess you'd have to be careful you don't blind some unlucky pilot with the reflection.

I think a good painted dish looks better and is less noticable than than the clear ones.

Attachments

• clear85.jpeg
    clear85.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 625
Mike500 said:
I like that new Krylon Fusion spray paint. It sticks to paint and that powder coating that is actually a plastic polymer.

Mine is painted in satin white.

I got the black Krylon, and just now looking at it I notice it says gloss black. Will that work? I want it to be black, but I dont want the gloss to kill the signal. Any thoughts??

Most dishs I have seen are flat gray. Don't know why?

timmy1376 said:
I got the black Krylon, and just now looking at it I notice it says gloss black. Will that work? I want it to be black, but I dont want the gloss to kill the signal. Any thoughts??

Here are the pictures. It is not as shiny as it looks in the pictures.

Attachments

• Picture 309.jpg
    Picture 309.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 568
  • Picture 313.jpg
    Picture 313.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 558
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)