What is the best motor for a 1.2m offset

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Swamp_Rat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
South Florida
My motors keep taking a beating from slop in the shaft to bent mounting brackets. What it the toughest (and also accurate) motor for an 1.2m offset dish? I am getting tired of replacing them.

I did have one of the early 380's. I had several problems including a ton of slop in the motor and it locked up on occasion. I also tried one of the 9120's. The bracket was a bit flimsy and after one good south Florida thunderstorm it was bent. The dish is a Geosat pro 1.2.
I haven't seen anything else out there and was wondering if anybody had an idea.

Well, the STAB hh120 is generally the best motor for the biggest dishes, but the owners frequently complain of backlash issue . You could always try one, but I know they are slow compared with the DG-380 .
:)

I was using a SG9120 with my 1.2m dish and there was no play. Now its waiting for me to finish the mods to the bracket and move my 1.8m dish :D

Well my Sg2100 has been running for over two years, but I'm not real fond of it....a lot of play in it too. Cheap bolts on it too....But it does move....Blind

Swamp Rat,

I bought 3 or 4 of the DG-380 motors and have used all three personally. I have had no problems with any of them. The DG-380's do have an automatic backlash control, but this can also be adjusted manually. I have not had to adjust this on any one of these motors, so I don't know precisely how to instruct anyone about doing it. Sadoun's might have this information or you can google for it. I really like these DG-380s. I haven't tried the STAB HH motors, so I cannot compare.

RADAR

My motors keep taking a beating from slop in the shaft to bent mounting brackets. What it the toughest (and also accurate) motor for an 1.2m offset dish? I am getting tired of replacing them.
I use the SG-2100 on my 1.2m Ku SatelliteAV dish with good results. I'd get the one with the Moteck motor. Since the SG-2100 is a licensed product, they are not all created equally. It's also important to get the larger tube upgrade so backlash is minimized. These tubes are available on eBay.

I have found the SG-9120 to be completely free of slack, and it seems to be better than the SG-2100s (both Motek and DMSI models) I've used in that regard. Now that there is a model of the SG-9120 with a smaller diameter tube, I intend to someday replace my SG-2100s with SG-9120s.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)