What is the best priced dvb-s2 satellite receiver ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois

I have been waiting for DVB-s2 satellite receivers prices to go down.

For right now what is the best priced DVB-S2 satellite receiver.

Do you think now is the best time to buy or should I wait another 6 months to buy one?

yah for price vs performance the openbox is ware its at. you can probly find a coolsat 8000 / 8100 for cheaper if your scour the used market but it has its issues as well. the azbox ads features but is about double the price.

crackt out,.

Openbox...They've come a long way since they first came to North America a year ago
on a side note I have one for sale in the classifieds ;)

By far the Openbox, I have a coolsat 8000HD which lock the S2 signals much better but can't do Blindscan. If any day someone do a fix for the Coolsat HD's to be able to Blindscan then the story will be different!!

good question?

Well at least the AZbox Prem + dont do close captions. The CS 8100 does them but only in the old VBI Insertion (line 21) style that we are used to. I think channels that use DVB captions are rare (Arirang TV on 58? comes to mind and maybe the new PBS E/W digital signal). Maybe the Openbox does them as well , who knows?.

Lassar said:
Do any of the DVB-S2 do closed caption ?

Are you looking for OSD (On Screen Display) generated internally by the receiver or pass through on the composite output?

If you are connecting via HDMI or component, the receiver will need to internally process and overlay the CC text. Receivers not developed for North American distribution do not usually implement CC.

Last edited:
Lassar said:
Looking for pass through Closed Caption

I have found that the 20+ sample S2 receivers that we have tested pass 608 type CC on the composite output. Of course, his output is 480i SD resolution. To have SatGuys members test current models, the receivers will need to be connected to the TV monitor using the RCA type composite (yellow) connector and the TV set to Caption 1 - ON.

HDMI and Component outputs do not carry CC for external decoding and must be decoded and overlaid by the receiver on these video sources prior to outputting to the monitor.

I have been waiting for DVB-s2 satellite receivers prices to go down.

For right now what is the best priced DVB-S2 satellite receiver.

Do you think now is the best time to buy or should I wait another 6 months to buy one?
I vote Openbox.

Have they fixed the green tint issue on the OpenBox ?

Have they fixed the green tint issue on the OpenBox ?

two good solutioins

no
but its not seen on Component or HDMI connections
If I were having this problem, I'd do as Iceberg suggested and use Component (or HDMI).
But, my (not-so new) 42" LCD has ten inputs and each can have the color, contrast, sharpness, (et al) tuned for -that- specific input.
So, it -would- be possible to take out the green.

I was looking at the specs for the OpenBox and it looks like it doesn't do 1080p. Is that correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)