What is the best replacement LNB for Primestar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raiden

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I have the smaller primestar dish and I was wondering which lnb I should purchase for it, or iis ther a kit out there?
Thanks

Is there something wrong with the one that's on it now? They seem to work pretty good for most normal installations. There are a lot of cheap primestar LNBFs on ebay for something like 8-9 dollars plus shipping.

As others have stated, the originals are pretty good.

One of the 75e dishes I got was setup for Starchoice. I replaced the transmitter with an extra WR75 flange LNB I had laying around. This is what it looked like:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=647384&postcount=10

I compared the performance of it's 0.7 / 0.8 noise figure LNBs to the shiney new QPF-031 Invacom Quad Polar C120 flanged LNB. The quality number was within 1 or 2 points on all TPs favoring the Invacom.

I expected to see a much bigger difference between the two but it is nice having Linear and circular all in one LNB. I stuck with using the Invacom and I gave away the waveguide / LNBs to another forum member who could use it.

Long story short... The C120 flanged Invacom should improve slightly on the numbers you'd see with the original LNB, but it isn't a HUGE difference. If you drop a normal LNBF on the saddle I'd be surprised if you better the numbers of the original LNB since you won't be using the feedhorn matched to the elliptical dish.

I was just looking on Ebay yesterday, and found a guy selling new Primestar/Hughes LNBs with horn like shown in the above link for $8..9 and about $5 shipping.
In other words, a real bargain - the guy wasn't trying to rip ya off .

I have 3 Primestar Dishes set up... 2 have the original LNB and are working great.
The other Primestar I have 2 LNB on for G25/AMC4.

To uses another you have to cut the 40mm neck off to expose the 20mm neck and it fits perfectly on the Primestar.

Thanks for the info. I figured the lnb must be bad since it has been sitting in mud for a long time like 8-10 years (lnb was buried in the mud) I had to dig it out. I seen this dish at friends house behind the barn. So he did not want it. And I would rather work with a lnb also with a single coaxel hook up.

The same guy selling the above on ebay is selling a lot of 8 of them for $59 shipped. That's a pretty smoking deal for a Primestar dish collector!

I picked up one of the single ones tonight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need help with lyngsat.

circular lnbf salvage opportunities?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)