What is the cheapest alternative to get Voom

TJ22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I current have a Dish 500. I want to add voom but I dont want to pay $99.95 to have them install the extra dish. So what is a cheap alternative to get voom? I see the dish 1000 will do it but that is not cheap. What cheapo dish can I add to point at 61.5?

Thanks.

You asked a question and answered it at the same time. If you can aquire an 18 dish with the same series LNB and switch as your dish500 then you may be able to install it yourself for less.

I guess I should have been morer specific. I need to know what hardware I need ie what model dish satellite. What model(s) will work for the second dish? What is the cheapest?

TJ22 said:
I guess I should have been morer specific. I need to know what hardware I need ie what model dish satellite. What model(s) will work for the second dish? What is the cheapest?
If your dish500 has a dishpro series LNB then you need an 18 inch dish300 with a single dual LNB (dishpro) and one or two (depending if you have dual tuners or receivers) DP21 switches. If legacy series then legacy LNB and 1 or 2 SW21 (or one SW42) switch. Dishpro have the DP logo on the LNB. The switch is mounted on or near the dish500 so that the output goes to the coax to your house. The inputs come from the dish500 and dish300.
The dish may be pointed to 61.5 or 129 satellite. Shop around for prices and compare findings to the $99 install price to determine the savings.

ebay is your friend in an instance like this. I got a dish 300 for about 30 bucks, pole mount from lowes for 6 bucks, and then youre set if you have some extra rg-6 laying around.

Ok here is my setup:

Dish 500 DP: 3 coaxes: "1", "2" & "LNB IN"

The is only 1 cable running from "1" to my basement where there is PVDP-2 diplexer.

This runs a 322 dual tuner which runs my livingroom and bedroom TVs.

So my question is the dish 300 what I need? And does it need to be DP? And how do I hook that up?

When I got installed right after VOOM went Off My installer forgot my second dish. and had to run home to get the other dish he told me it would take about and hour for round trip I didn't have anything to do so I waited. He was back in about 15 Min. whenb I asked he told me he did an uninstall a couple of weeks earlier and just went and got that dish(it was a vacant house). (He said that it was the installers disgression on whether to remove the dish or not). So Look for a vacant house with a Dish 500 on it and take it. :)

Cegarrett

whicky1978 said:
What is voom? I don't think I get voom.

(1) be sure to get your free 61.5 second dish for Nashville locals channels 39 and 66

(2) then after the installer gets reception and is getting ready to call it in, ask him to add HDPack and $5 more for Voom on Dish Network. You may be able to get HDPack at a discount for first 6 months or so.

http://www.voom.com/vhdo/index.jsp

(3) There used to be 21 channels on Voom when it was a separate company, now E* has part of channels with possibly the rest coming back next year.

JH1949 said:
(1) be sure to get your free 61.5 second dish for Nashville locals channels 39 and 66

(2) then after the installer gets reception and is getting ready to call it in, ask him to add HDPack and $5 more for Voom on Dish Network.

http://www.voom.com/vhdo/index.jsp

(3) There used to be 21 channels on Voom when it was a separate company, now E* has part of channels with possibly the rest coming back next year.
I get some HD pack already. 9420+ channels. Would the local channels be in HD if I got Voom? No installer has to come out, right?

"Instructions for Adding a 61.5° Dish to your System"

it says "A Dish PRO install will need either an E* dish or a D* dish that had the D-shaped arm. A rectangular arm dish CANNOT be used with a DP LNB without modifications"

What is this D-shaped? Could someone find a picture and post a link? (so I dont buy the wrong thing)

I already have my locals is there anyway I can get them to install the dish 300 for free?

Thanks.

It will cost me $100 to install a dish for CBSHD, if I can get a waiver. Not only can I not get local HD, I can't get any local off air channels at all.

Also, I will have to pay for a second satellite as well for Voom; it is possible to get them on both on one satellite.

I don't want to pay that kind of cash right now though. Why didn't they just install the right dishes to begin with, knowing that I wanted HD?

TJ22,
Your Dish500 has a DishPro Plus Twin. Your second dish needs a DP Dual or DP Single. Connect the additional LNB to the DPP Twin's LNB IN port.

E* LNBs have a D-shaped base that fits into the dish arm. The D* arm's opening is a bit slimmer and rectangular. See http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=165 then "Click to enlarge" the photo to see the D-shaped arm w/o LNBs.

whicky1978,
You are not getting all the locals available to you by having 110.
JH1949 said:
What JH1949 is trying to let you know is that you have some locals that come from 61.5 and that Dish is obligated to make those additional channels available to you at no extra expense on your part. Call Dish and tell them you want to get WHTN and/or WJFB. Once that is in place call them up to add Voom.

Dish does not offer any HD locals other than CBS in NY and LA. Either of those is available as a distant network for those who qualify.

How do you know if you have locals avaible on 61.5? I would like to get them to install my second dish free....they should have put it in to begin with...they talk my wife out of installing it.

I have the pittsburgh channels and it seems there are no locals on there.

Well maybe
"Cornerstone TV (WPCB-TV 40 Pittsburgh, PA) CORNR 9712 32 61.5° E*3 Sky Angel"

But I am not sure what that channel is and whether or not I am supposed to get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)