What is the Deal in Mexico for DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jreinski

Original poster
May 29, 2010
Puerta Vallarta Mexico
Hello. I am just a consumer and I found you all by websearching. Can you help me with some info and direction?

I own a home in the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico. With really bad timing, I have just had DISH installed. I mean within the last 2 weeks - with all the satellite moves going on. Because of the problems and some of what I have read in these forums, I have some questions. I would appreciate all the insite you can give me.

My Dish is receiving sometimes and not receiving at others. I have a 1.8 m. I have subscribed to locals through All America Direct but they are not coming in at all. I have no ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.

So, is this going to get sorted out, so that we can receive stations? Or should I cut my losses now and find another outlet for TV? If so, who is best received?

Is there a list of what stations are reasonable to expect to receive? I dont want to pay to get only shopping channels! :rant:

What is the deal about DISH not being legal in Mexico? As long as I am paying for it and not stacking, what is the problem? :eek: Are any non-Mexico sattelites legal?

Thanks!

DISH is not legally allowed to sell their signal outside of the United States. Your current subscription is illegal. To control this problem all satellite companies are trying to control spillover of their signal outside of areas where they can legally sell their signals. You would be best off to cut your losses now and investigate Mexican providers of TV reception.

Hello. I am just a consumer and I found you all by websearching. Can you help me with some info and direction?

I own a home in the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico. With really bad timing, I have just had DISH installed. I mean within the last 2 weeks - with all the satellite moves going on. Because of the problems and some of what I have read in these forums, I have some questions. I would appreciate all the insite you can give me.

My Dish is receiving sometimes and not receiving at others. I have a 1.8 m. I have subscribed to locals through All America Direct but they are not coming in at all. I have no ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.

So, is this going to get sorted out, so that we can receive stations? Or should I cut my losses now and find another outlet for TV? If so, who is best received?

Is there a list of what stations are reasonable to expect to receive? I dont want to pay to get only shopping channels! :rant:

What is the deal about DISH not being legal in Mexico? As long as I am paying for it and not stacking, what is the problem? :eek: Are any non-Mexico sattelites legal?

Thanks!

Here's something to read:

Satellite TV in Puerto Vallarta

Good Luck!.:)

DISH is not legally allowed to sell their signal outside of the United States.
I'm not sure this is an accurate statement. DISH Network isn't allowed to sell into Canada because Canadian law prohibits it, but I don't think Mexico has any such prohibitions.

The real issue is that most Mexican subscribers are engaging in lying to DISH Network about their service addresses and that puts DISH in an awkward position with respect to those who aren't fibbing about where they live.

I'm not sure this is an accurate statement. DISH Network isn't allowed to sell into Canada because Canadian law prohibits it, but I don't think Mexico has any such prohibitions.

The real issue is that most Mexican subscribers are engaging in lying to DISH Network about their service addresses and that puts DISH in an awkward position with respect to those who aren't fibbing about where they live.

It is illegal also in Mexico.

Thanks for all the input. I am still not clear on whether it is legal in Mexico to have the Dish network, or any network. The reason why I ask is that on some message boards, folks are saying the Federalis will come get you! Is that for DISH, for all sattelite TVs, or what? Who's law are we breaking? Is it against US law for DISH to send our channels down there? Or is it against Mexican law to receive them (perhaps because we dont pay mexican taxes on the service? What is it that we are doing wrong?

But now that Carlos Slim is selling DISH, that adds a new dimension....

I also have a house in Mexico, in the Chapala (east of Vallarta) area. Using three dishes, the largest, two meters, I get 110, 119 and 129.

I can receive about 40 HD channels and local HD from Chicago through AllAmerican Direct.

However, channels come and go. Since hooking up to 129, I've lost about a dozen HD channels - have also lost some HD from 110.

Understand that we might lose a lot of SD and possibly more HD as the new 119 comes online.

I guess this is considered illegal, although I pay the full price for all this. I understand Dish is not licensed to broadcast outside the US. If this all goes away as predicted, I guess I'll have to switch to Star Choice which works very well here.

"Thanks for all the input. I am still not clear on whether it is legal in Mexico to have the Dish network, or any network. The reason why I ask is that on some message boards, folks are saying the Federalis will come get you! Is that for DISH, for all sattelite TVs, or what? Who's law are we breaking? Is it against US law for DISH to send our channels down there? Or is it against Mexican law to receive them (perhaps because we dont pay mexican taxes on the service? What is it that we are doing wrong?"

Mexican satellite providers - Sky and Dish Latin America - don't like the competition and have caused some trouble with local installers. However, this seems to have gone away. Dishes are visible everywhere. Sky and Dish Latin America have limited English programming.

couple of things

"Thanks for all the input. I am still not clear on whether it is legal in Mexico to have the Dish network, or any network. The reason why I ask is that on some message boards, folks are saying the Federalis will come get you! Is that for DISH, for all sattelite TVs, or what? Who's law are we breaking? Is it against US law for DISH to send our channels down there? Or is it against Mexican law to receive them (perhaps because we dont pay mexican taxes on the service? What is it that we are doing wrong?"

Mexican satellite providers - Sky and Dish Latin America - don't like the competition and have caused some trouble with local installers. However, this seems to have gone away. Dishes are visible everywhere. Sky and Dish Latin America have limited English programming.

The legality is know as GREY area. It's not really legal to receive US signals in Mexico. It's unlikely that the feds will bother w/it though. Why bother w/ someone getting US signals when they have more problems w/ real crime.
Charlie now owns Satmex so things will be changing in the next yr probably. It will have to do with when the new Satmex sat goes up and is broadcasting.

I also have a house in Mexico, in the Chapala (east of Vallarta) area. Using three dishes, the largest, two meters, I get 110, 119 and 129.

I can receive about 40 HD channels and local HD from Chicago through AllAmerican Direct.

However, channels come and go. Since hooking up to 129, I've lost about a dozen HD channels - have also lost some HD from 110.

Understand that we might lose a lot of SD and possibly more HD as the new 119 comes online.

I guess this is considered illegal, although I pay the full price for all this. I understand Dish is not licensed to broadcast outside the US. If this all goes away as predicted, I guess I'll have to switch to Star Choice which works very well here.

E14 is already online at 119. The signal may drop by about 10 points or so by the middle of the month since they are changing the FEC due to the increased power in the states which results in more usable bandwidth for them.

After my initial posting, I tried to access 119 channels. They are all gone. I talked to friends who did not go for HD and they have lost almost everything. For the time being 129 is still going strong except for transponder 18.

After my initial posting, I tried to access 119 channels. They are all gone. I talked to friends who did not go for HD and they have lost almost everything. For the time being 129 is still going strong except for transponder 18.

If you go to"The List!" up at the top of this page,click on it then select subscription list home.Then you can select each Dish satellite,after that select ConUS beam you will see that alot of the satellites don't have a footprint where you live that's the reason your signal fades in and out.;)

I still can't get my head around the implications of the upcoming FEC reduction. So, we are to expect a reduction of up to 10 points when this happens? That's a lot, and would seem to me to negate the power boost provided by E14. In other words, what I'm trying to grasp is how much net effect on signal level E14 provides as compared to E7.

Sky Mex best option

Sky Mex is your best paying option. They are cheap compared to DN and others.
I travel alot many people use Sky where you are, and we have full service here in Honduras as well where I live.
There are a zillion options. You can point that 1.8 with a universal lNB at the 58W which is the main sat for MEX and Central America and receive many of the sky feeds right now. Movies and networks have been open for several weeks. You may be too far north on that but we receive many feeds open here on DSB 2.
You should consider your FTA options if you have the time and energy.
A sub to SKY is a great way to go if you are only using your vacation home from time to time.. HB

It's too bad that Dish and Direct can't work their spot beams so that they only reach to the edge of the US boarders both north and south and not any further. Now that would be a bit of boarder patrol that I could get behind! :up

It's too bad that Dish and Direct can't work their spot beams so that they only reach to the edge of the US boarders both north and south and not any further. Now that would be a bit of boarder patrol that I could get behind! :up

boarder patrol? lol. Ahoy matey's, watch out for those boarders!!!:)

Seriously though, I know of a few U.S. Citizens who take their sat systems to Mexico, It's not just the locals who are watching U.S. Satellites.

Sky Mex is your best paying option. They are cheap compared to DN and others.
I travel alot many people use Sky where you are, and we have full service here in Honduras as well where I live.
There are a zillion options. You can point that 1.8 with a universal lNB at the 58W which is the main sat for MEX and Central America and receive many of the sky feeds right now. Movies and networks have been open for several weeks. You may be too far north on that but we receive many feeds open here on DSB 2.
You should consider your FTA options if you have the time and energy.
A sub to SKY is a great way to go if you are only using your vacation home from time to time.. HB

Mexican satellite services also cable are so 3rd world as the country is, i don't know why you talking about doing something illegal offsher the US, if you're a subscriber and you can afford a large dish to get your tv with you is not an illegal issue since you're not mexican, and if you were mexican there's no law here that restricts you to get foreing signals as soon as you don't make your onw cable company buy 500 receivers and retransmit that signal to make businnes with.

Cheers

The best option for tv in Mexico City is 4DTV. Amazing that a dying technology in the US can bring high signal in Mexico City at many satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)