What is the Deal in Mexico for DISH?

It is a violation of US regulations for A US provider to sell signals to persons living in Mexico. But is it illegal to pick up signals from a foreign country when you live in Mexico? After all you are in Mexico and controlled by Mexican law. I don't think so. In Chapala-Ajijic just south of Guadalajara, maybe 5 to 10% of the population is from the cold north. And just driving down the road you can look up on the roofs and wall and tell whether that Ku band I pointing south you know toward 107.3, 110, 111.1 119, 129 degrees west or in a more easterly direction toward the Mexican satellites. And No ones satellite dish system is being confiscated etc.

There are ads in the papers selling US DISH systems all of the time in Guadalajara. Many Canadian snowbirds who go south to Mexico for the winter, often bring their StarChoice (Now Shaw Direct) systems with them. Guess what sized dish you need in much of Mexico for Star Choice? It's an elliptical 26.5 by 36.5 inch dish that brings in programming from two birds. Programming includes the US networks HBO etc. I know people who have real addresses in Canada phoning Star Choice up from as far away as Central America asking for dish pointing instructions. It was no problem because the clients were simply traveling.

I'm a snowbird up here freezing to death in Seattle and when I go south for the winter I understand that my one DISH receiver that I take with me will have a harder time picking up Echo* 14. The question is out whether I will need a 1.8 or 2.4 meter for 119 W and we wont know for sure until all of the fine tuning is done I understand on the 16th.

So here are your choices for Mexico. My example is for the greater Guadalajara, Chapala areas
1. C band (which I have) with a 4DTV with a 12 foot antenna (1 HDTV channel)
2. Star Choice (now Shaw Direct) with a 26.5 by 36.5 inch dish with (more than 65 HDTV channels to include US networks)
3. DISH with about a 2.4 meter for 119 and 129 W and perhaps a 1.2 or 1.8 meter for what's left on 110 W with a lot of HDTV on 129

It's getting harder and harder to continue to get DISH as the footprints better focus in on the US with less bleed-over into Mexico. As a result more and more of those who only speak English, are going to Star Choice. I enjoy the local cable company. It's not very reliable and only has 5 HDTV channels, half in English

Just my too bits worth.

I have the same issue, but I have not been down to Puerto Vallarta/Manzanillo area to check since the switch. Do you have any of the distant networks, channels 241-248 yet? . I am so sick of Dish Network and dealing with their technical issues and security switches. I wish I could just bypass the whole Dish thing and go internet. But I dont want to switch out all my SAT equipment and go with a new system yet, and I know it will be a matter of time before Apple TV will be enough. What are you doing about the new changes and has anything changed for the better since your last posting?