What is the most # of dishes that someone has?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My daughter "has" to have Disney and Nik, my wife "has" to have food network. We "have" to have FX when the Shield is on and "have" to have HBO when the Sporonos are on. So well will probably go to the top 60 pack, but what really gets me is that Dish's fees will equal the cost of the programming (real close). We own all our equipment except for the 811. We do not have a contract, so we can be done whenever :)

Tron said:
I hear that dishes and better halves don't often go well together :)

It took a hell of a sales pitch from a friend of mine who was a dealer at the time to get the wife to open the wallet. For $2500.00 we got the state of the art set up for 1983, the 8 foot spun aluminum dish, 1 C Band LNB and a KLM receiver complete with a tuning knob about the size of a baseball and a front that looked like an oldtime radio dial. After she seen what we could pick up on that baby she fell in love with it. I have very little problems getting her to go along with updates for the equipment. Case in point, she bought me the Quail TV QS 1080 so I could find Indiana State womens basketball games for her.:) :D :cool: :up

I have spent hours flipping through and scanning the satellites only to be amazed at all the different stuff on there and I have BEV but really only watch the news on that.All I need to do is convince the wife to git rid of that as all she likes is CSI on SPIKE TV (all the reruns).We could then take the subscription money about $70.00 per month CDN and buy more FTA gear.

Dave

Last edited:
Hello

don't want to hijack the thread but could someone explain to me what is

DVB 4:2:0
-DVB 4:2:2

I have pansat 2700, 3500, a Fortec lifetime ultra receivers for my fta, is that it.

I also have access to dvb with my c-band. Is it something else I could get.

Labgate

Labgate said:
Hello

don't want to hijack the thread but could someone explain to me what is

DVB 4:2:0
-DVB 4:2:2

I have pansat 2700, 3500, a Fortec lifetime ultra receivers for my fta, is that it.

I also have access to dvb with my c-band. Is it something else I could get.

Labgate

4:2:0 is what all DVB receivers can pick up (Pansats, Fortecs, Coolsats, etc)
4:2:2 is something different (I call it "scrambled" but its not.) It has something to do with how they process the signal. Those you see little green squares when you scan a 4:2:2 signal with a 4:2:0 receiver. Most peopl do a PC card route for 4:2:2. The Quli-TV receiver does 4:2:2 but runs about $700 US for the box.

There are 2 types of digital signals. DVB & DCII (Digicipher II). SVB is what your receivers get. DCII is the digital upgrade of the old VideoCipher II (VCII) signals that C-Band uses. Need a 4DT 920 or 922 to get those :)

Hello Iceberg

Thank you for your clarification

I already have a 922 so for vcII and dcII I'm set. I understand that I can pick up 4:2:0 with my pansat.

For 4:2:2 I have a starbox II from twinhan. What software should I use and will I be able to get that with the starbox II or if I have to buy a quali-tv receiver.

Best regards

Labgate

Iceberg said:
4:2:0 is what all DVB receivers can pick up (Pansats, Fortecs, Coolsats, etc)
4:2:2 is something different (I call it "scrambled" but its not.) It has something to do with how they process the signal. Those you see little green squares when you scan a 4:2:2 signal with a 4:2:0 receiver. Most peopl do a PC card route for 4:2:2. The Quli-TV receiver does 4:2:2 but runs about $700 US for the box.

There are 2 types of digital signals. DVB & DCII (Digicipher II). SVB is what your receivers get. DCII is the digital upgrade of the old VideoCipher II (VCII) signals that C-Band uses. Need a 4DT 920 or 922 to get those :)

hmmm...

If you have a motorized, do you really need any others? Just curious as I sit here still waiting for my Winegard to go on the motor I got in the mail the other day. If so, I may still try to hack apart that old Primestar someday. I don't really think I'll have much of a use for it when the Winegard gets here, but if there is a use for it, I may not get rid of it immediately... I Also still have the 3 18"ers still sitting around on the front porch.

None of the dishes are active at the moment... I'm wanting to put the roof mount up as soon as the Winegard gets here.

Labgate said:
Hello Iceberg

Thank you for your clarification

I already have a 922 so for vcII and dcII I'm set. I understand that I can pick up 4:2:0 with my pansat.
correct on both. The 922 gets VCII, DCII and analog. The Pansat gets 4:2:0 DVB

For 4:2:2 I have a starbox II from twinhan. What software should I use and will I be able to get that with the starbox II or if I have to buy a quali-tv receiver.

it should work as is. I don't have a PC card so I really don't know if you need different software. You can get 4:2:2 and HD on them. :)

Hello

I will try it.

I suppose that if I go see lyngsat I could check for 4:2:2 "encryption" to verify ?

Labgate

try PBS HD on AMC3...if it works on that, then 4:2:2 should work
4:2:2 is the NBC feeds on AMC1 KU band

Thank you

Will try it this weekend or tonight.

Too bad my software (my theatre) won't do blind scan.

Labgate

Iceberg said:
try PBS HD on AMC3...if it works on that, then 4:2:2 should work
4:2:2 is the NBC feeds on AMC1 KU band

Little 'ol me only has...

1 Dish1000 For Dish Network.
1 30" Aimed at 123 Degrees ( G10)

In the basement:

2 old bent up dish 500's that the kids use to "Dish Ride" in the snow on.

Labgate said:
Thank you

Will try it this weekend or tonight.

Too bad my software (my theatre) won't do blind scan.

Labgate

scan with the Pansat and if you get a signal that is distorted (green blocks) then that is 4:2:2 and log it in the PC card :)

mastermesh said:
If you have a motorized, do you really need any others?
The nice thing about having multiple fixed dish's is very fast channel changing. Also you dont have to worry about a motor dying when it is -20 degrees outside, as happend to me on my c-band dish when water got into the actuator and froze last winter.

If you have a motorized, do you really need any others
when you have multiple receivers/dishes, a motorized doesn't work the best because you can only see one satellite at a time.

More then 1 dish can be used as in my case where my 1M motorized can see down to 121 through a couple of trees that don't have any leaves yet, so my chances of getting G10R are slim to none there.So I will try another dish that has a clear line of sight to that bird even if its only at 5 deg elevation, but I got to try!

Dave

I was wondering the same thing as the aforementioned question. What is the benefit of all the dishes, besides faster channel changing? I can wait the 15 secs or whatever it takes to get from one end of the arc to the other. Plus, I really only G10, IA6, and IA5 for the most part, so its not a long wait at all.

I have 2 dishes. 1 FTA, 1 Dish 1000.

Yay!

If somehow, some way, I get my own house next year (we are renting half a duplex)....the Ku goes up in a little corner of the yard, leaving room for big boy C. :)

good points

on the fast channel changing and lack of need to keep the motor up and going. What is the average lifespan on a motor anyways?

I guess for me the one dish with motor system seems most doable for now since we have a pretty small front yard and the wife is already complaining.

On a side note, I found an old dead bud a few blocks away from us while walking around the other day with the dog. I guess it's owned by the city, but it's just sitting there rusting, face down in the grass, so odds are they might part with it pretty cheaply or maybe even free.... I have no need or want for it since our yard is way too small, so I'm not going to ask about owning it, but if someone wants to talk to the city about it, you might want to get on it before someone else takes it. I have no idea what type of condition it's in...

It's behind one of the buildings on on the Kemper Military Shool's grounds in Boonville, Missouri. It's near the edge of the campus, so I'm not sure if it actually sits on the school's grounds or on private property. The school went under a couple of years back and the land was bought out by the city, which has a YMCA in the old gym and natatorium building... the rest of the buildings are pretty munch unused. The city has used the land as a park for some events, but for the most part are still looking to sell the land to someone eventually - problem is all the folks wanting to buy it so far are reform schools with less than respecitable pasts.

Sassan said:
I was wondering the same thing as the aforementioned question. What is the benefit of all the dishes, besides faster channel changing? I can wait the 15 secs or whatever it takes to get from one end of the arc to the other. Plus, I really only G10, IA6, and IA5 for the most part, so its not a long wait at all.

I have 2 dishes. 1 FTA, 1 Dish 1000.

Yay!

If somehow, some way, I get my own house next year (we are renting half a duplex)....the Ku goes up in a little corner of the yard, leaving room for big boy C. :)

For me it’s a matter of convenience and practibility. I have a dedicated system for motoring around to satellites. But I have fixed dishes on G10, IA6 & the C-band at G4. When you have multiple receivers, what happens when you want to scan and the spouse/roommate/kids/whoever wants to watch G10? (Luckily I don’t have those people to bug me). I have 5 receivers hooked up to a fixed dish setup (it’s in my signature). I can flip between the G4 Networks, the Equity stuff on G10 and the audio on ExpressVu and I don’t have to mess with my motorized system. One receiver is in my bedroom, one in the computer room, 2 DVB receivers in the main room and an analog there too. I know DrHydro is the same way (he has a pretty good thread on what he was doing). He’s got 3 DVB units and kids so a fixed system lets the kids change through the channels with no issues while he watches something else.

When you have multiple receivers, having at least one fixed dish is almost a necessity. When I had 4 receivers, I had 2 dedicated to G10. The other two worked off the motorized setup. If you have one receiver, it is a moot point because you can motor around. I don’t think you’ll burn the motor out by motoring too much. I have had the same motor for 2+ years now and its survived 3 MN winters and it still runs like a champ.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts