What is the point of mirror channels?

This isn't always true.... look at the 5150's.

Are you telling me that there are two different channels physically uplinked with the same channel number from the same satellite?

I looked at some of the recent uplink reports and don't see what you are referring to. Can you post an example?

Now I don't think all 9000 level channels fall into this category though (and someone noted as I have noticed that the RSN's aren't all simulcast, some show games only on the SD version). So I'm not sure you want to lock all 9000 channels.

The PI channels are in the 9000s. I'm just talking about HD.

RSNs are mapped down. (Well, MINE is, I assume they all are.) I have both versions unlocked. When I look at the RSN in the guide, I can just look down one notch and see if it's available in HD.

Voom channels were the last ones that weren't mapped anywhere else. Everything else is mapped down. Only ones I'm not sure about is those HD Event PPVs.

I find it strange that one and only one HD only channel didn't get the map down from the 9400's to the 300's. HDNet Movies.

That would be strange if it were true.

I find it strange that one and only one HD only channel didn't get the map down from the 9400's to the 300's. HDNet Movies.

I am not counting the few HD channels that are never on.

I wonder if the Vooms were mapped down like this if they may had done better. Oh well, too little, too late.

HD Net Movies is mapped down to channel 383 and has been since the map down to the 300's began.

Us power users know to venture into the 9400 neighborhood, but several of my relatives who got Dish HD NEVER went to the 9400's despite my showing it to them frequently. Well, since HD only channel map down to the 300's, those same relatives now easily access and view the HD channels for which they pay. It's all about the "neighborhood" and how real people (not us power users) really use their system and how they think. In fact, many of those same relatives NEVER scroll past the last 300's channel. Heck I've told one of them repeatedly they have Sirius Satellite radio for years, and she still says that she "didn't know that." In fact, she was going to subscribe to Sirius for her car to "try it out." I told her AGAIN that she has Sirius on Dish, and she had the biggest look of surprise. "I didn't know that." Her ignorance has to do with the fact that she NEVER ventures past the last 300's. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

I was looking for a specific channel where this was the case. It isn't easy searching the uplink center when you don't have a specific channel to reference.

But the channel chart is in numerical order.

(sigh) OK...5150 is used on 10 different spots.
5151 is used on 10 different spots.
5152 is used on 10 different spots.
5153 is used on 10 different spots.
5160 is used on 8 different spots.
5161 is used on 8 different spots.
5162 is used on 8 different spots.
5163 is used on 8 different spots.
5170 is used on 7 different spots.
5171 is used on 7 different spots.
5172 is used on 7 different spots.
5173 is used on 7 different spots.
5180 is used on 6 different spots.
5181 is used on 6 different spots.
5182 is used on 6 different spots.
5183 is used on 6 different spots.
5190 is used on 6 different spots.
5191 is used on 6 different spots.
5192 is used on 6 different spots.
5193 is used on 6 different spots.
5200 is used on 2 different spots.
5201 is used on 2 different spots.
5202 is used on 2 different spots.
5203 is used on 2 different spots.

And you want your customers to call YOU first for information. :D

But the channel chart is in numerical order.

(sigh) OK...5150 is used on 10 different spots.
5151 is used on 10 different spots.
5152 is used on 10 different spots.
5153 is used on 10 different spots.
5160 is used on 8 different spots.
5161 is used on 8 different spots.
5162 is used on 8 different spots.
5163 is used on 8 different spots.
5170 is used on 7 different spots.
5171 is used on 7 different spots.
5172 is used on 7 different spots.
5173 is used on 7 different spots.
5180 is used on 6 different spots.
5181 is used on 6 different spots.
5182 is used on 6 different spots.
5183 is used on 6 different spots.
5190 is used on 6 different spots.
5191 is used on 6 different spots.
5192 is used on 6 different spots.
5193 is used on 6 different spots.
5200 is used on 2 different spots.
5201 is used on 2 different spots.
5202 is used on 2 different spots.
5203 is used on 2 different spots.

And you want your customers to call YOU first for information. :D

Can you show me an example on a CONUS transponder? Duplication of channel numbers in separate beams won't cause issues for a receiver because they won't see the other beams. Try putting a market's ABC and CBS on the same uplink channel number and tell me it works out alright.

Mirrored = Same channel stream using multiple channel numbers IN THE SATELLITE SYSTEM TABLES. NO ADDITIONAL BANDWIDTH USED
----- Alternate meaning = same channel duplicated on a different satellite location, usually on the same channel number as well.

Mapped = A string on the information in the system tables on a particular channel number (not program stream) tells the receiver to put that channel (map it) to a particular number.

Just an example is:

PBS ---

The Dish Network tables have this one programming stream on tp 8 at 119° linked to the following channels in the system tables:
249 For national subscribers
7241 for Santa Barbara Locals
7306 for Bakersfield Locals
7526 for Sherman/Ada Locals
7548 for Rockford Locals
7866 for Wichita Falls Locals
7997 for San Angelo Locals
8175 for Abilene Locals
8448 for Beaumont Locals
8568 for Dothan Locals
8856 for Billings Locals
9328 for Palm Springs locals (not available to subscribers)
9346 for Billings Locals

Some (if not all) of these "mirrors" have a map-down channel number as well. They are not all the same map-down number.

For example, Beaumont's PBS mirror is also mapped down to channel 60. PBS is NOT on the system tables at channel 60. It is a string on channel 8448 that tells the receiver that the PBS stream should also appear on channel 60.

BTW the reuse on the same channel number like the 5100 range seems to work as long as the repeated uses are on different spot beams that one receiver cannot pick up simultaneously. The MPEG2/4 repeated channel numbers are a different story.

See ya
Tony

Channel 383

HD Net Movies is mapped down to channel 383 and has been since the map down to the 300's began.

OK this is strange. I can see HDNet Movies at 9423 but 383 is invisable to me. I downgraded from Ultimate to Essentials after Voom was pulled so it is highlighted in red.

I do see all the other Ultimate channels and they are highlighted in red of course.

Dish had my account screwed up right after I made this down grade. I have AT-250 and discovered some channels HD versions that I was supposed to get like HMC-HD and BIO-HD were invisable. I did see the SD versions though. I had to call Dish back to get this corrected. I started a thread about this here I called Downgrade Warning.

This is starnge but it really doesn't matter to me right now because again, I am at the HD Essentials level.

Channel 383

OK this is strange. I can see HDNet Movies at 9423 but 383 is invisable to me. I downgraded from Ultimate to Essentials after Voom was pulled so it is highlighted in red.

I do see all the other Ultimate channels and they are highlighted in red of course.

Dish had my account screwed up right after I made this down grade. I have AT-250 and discovered some channels HD versions that I was supposed to get like HMC-HD and BIO-HD were invisable. I did see the SD versions though. I had to call Dish back to get this corrected. I started a thread about this here I called Downgrade Warning.

This is starnge but it really doesn't matter to me right now because again, I am at the HD Essentials level.

They could but this way subs to DIsh latino can see the cahnnels in one list. BTW what is WRONG with mirroring it in 3 or 4 places?
Its confusing when setting up your favorites list. Because not every HD channel is in the 9000's range. Nothing wrong ,I just don't see the point if they are not going to have all the HD channels there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts