What is the simple translation of this Dish announcement?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DISH does not mean the satellite antenna. DISH is an acronym. It stands for Digital Information Sky Highway. No name change necessary.

Doesn’t matter what it stands for. People are thinking “satellite dish.” Nobody knows what AT&T stands for anymore either, or that it refers to telephones and telegraphs. The acronym IS important. Just ask anybody in Marketing.

Doesn’t matter what it stands for. People are thinking “satellite dish.” Nobody knows what AT&T stands for anymore either, or that it refers to telephones and telegraphs. The acronym IS important. Just ask anybody in Marketing.
And that marketing can bring things back around, and even bring SlingTV into it. Marketing is simply making people believe what you want them to believe.

Actually, I see so few commercials I wouldn’t know what they’re actually sending my way.

But it sure is obvious on the Internet. They’re still trying to sell me stuff I bought already.

I’ve read in the OTA section of this forum that ATSC 3.0 offers a pay-TV integration option. Maybe Dish is positioning itself to offer pay tv OTA?

If so, it could be the answer to a lot of speculation about what Dish plans to do with all that spectrum they own
They had referred in the past specifically to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, et al., as being available the ATSC 3.0, not necessarily the linear channels on cable, and that would cost real money to provide, so I don't see that happening. The carrot of Streaming services via ATSC 3.0 has been used as a carrot for acceptance of the new standard because rural folks could finally get those streaming services at decent speeds. However, let's remember that they (in this case NAB and the broadcasters) make all sorts of promises or allusions to all sorts of things ATSC 3.0 COULD include, but they often don't deliver on MOST of the promises or buzz features.

Reactions: navychop
Now we finally get a glimpse of Dish's 5G plans with its spectrum in a real world way, but Dish already made this pretty clear on previous Conference Calls: 5G network with band of frequencies capable of penetrating walls in some markets for Video Anywhere and IoT. The Video Anywhere is a natural because Dish is already and MVPD, and people want access to their content remotely and 5G promises streams with no hiccups and no dropped signals and--well video as stable as at home with high PQ quality because of the huge bandwidth and very fast speed that will be available.

The IoT part of the G5 is not just the gadgets in your home--that is a big part of it--but automobiles: specifically, more data, and more reliability of a car being in constant contact with a 5G network so the car can function just like your phone, and car makes will be able to PUSH firmware updates to your car to patch security holes and keep the cars tech up to date. But the really biggy is Self-Driving Vehicles: The 5G extreme low latency and massive capacity is what is going to make driver-less vehicles a reality, and very safe one, by providing data so fast it boggles the mind. At some point EVERY motor vehicle (and some aftermarket cheap RF emitters for older cars and bikes and even pedestrians) will be on that cell of the network and the computers will know where every car is and how fast it is traveling and can get this data and send the corrections so fast that accidents can be avoided because the computers will have knowledge and control of each vehicle (not control for older cars) so it won't allow collisions, etc.

Even pedestrians could carry a wearable like a smart watch or something (maybe a smartphone) that can emit an RF so that the computers know where people are and prevent an accident like the one where that woman came out of the dark in front of Uber's automated vehicle. If such a 5G network were in place, the computer would have known the woman was near and probably would have slowed the car down enough to where when the woman stepped in front, the car could have stopped OR, even more amazing, could have calculated a safe evasive maneuver provided the computer or the car's on board system's knew there were no other cars to collide with making that evasive maneuver and all this data being SENT and then being sent BACK for immediate use can happen in less than a second with a properly robust 5G network.

This is the future that Charlie has been trying to get Dish ready for, and this kind of stuff and the projects with other companies announced with this press release is what Charlie has been doing with his spectrum. He will meet the coming deadline EASY. In fact, this announced project could very well have met the deadline that loomed. The following deadline is what is really going to count, but I have no doubt Dish will meet that, too. Ergen preferred to partner with a wireless company because it meant LESS money Dish would have to spend, but Charlie made it clear they will proceed on their own, but that does not preclude a partnership later down the line to come.

Can't wait to hear more info on Dish's precise plans.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I was wondering if Dish had found partners to develop all the spectrum they have bought up.

Sinclair has a national footprint for packaging programming and American Tower is one of the biggest cell tower providers (already feed by fiber optic, etc., so I can see how they could rapidly expand to a national footprint and meet their build out requirements

I should add that the 5G has also been stated for use to provide ISP's over the air and especially some rural areas that do not have any fast internet today. I believe that is part of Dish's plan for its spectrum, but also any of the other uses where Dish can make money with its spectrum

In theory ATSC 3.0 could also be used for some level of ISP, but that is not considered likely because it is not nearly as robust as a 5G network. However, access to streaming services and virtual MVPD's has been touted by the industry to build support for ATSC 3.0 and is more likely than ISP for ATSC 3.0, but we should not count all our chickies before they are hatched when dealing with industry "promises" or hype.

And the real power of ATSC 3.0 is that it will be IP. With that the possibilities are wide open.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)