What is the smallest dish I should use?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

punchy

Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri
Hi all,
I am completely new to the C-band scene and I'm looking for some newbie advice.

I am wanting to set up my first C-band dish in my backyard. My neighboorhood is one of those that frowns upon BUD's, however I think I still might be able to get away with it if I can adhere to a few simple low-profile principles in the setup.
I have a wood stockade fence surrounding the perimeter of my backyard, so I thought if I could figure out what the smallest dish is I could adequately get away with and mount it close to the ground, it might disappear from view (most of it, anyway).
I only need to be able to pick up just one station with it, so I can mount the dish in a fixed position. This will also greatly simplify the installation and reduce the cost of the hardware needed and also might alow me to mount the dish closer to the ground than most setups.
So mainly I need help in determining what the smallest dish is I can adequately receive my one station with. The city I live in is Kansas City, Missouri and the satellite I wish to receive is Galaxy 4, Transponder 16.
I will need someones help in determining what the smallest dish size I can use based on the calculated signal strength of the footprint of this one satellite (I don't know how to do this as I've never done this before).
Maybe someone would be kind enough to take me through the process. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Punchy

G4 is now Called G16 @99 deg. WesT. I suppose your looking for the networks on the Virgin Is. Mux and possibily NBC in Casper. I have gotten good reception of both of these with a 180cm (6 foot) prime feed dish. The basic dish comes with a crude mounting base and is mounted pretty close to the ground. With just a little tweeking I got both the VI stations as well as the elusive Casper station.

I have a Fortecstar FS6D1.8m dish that I experiment with. Not currently in use, but thinking of a reason.:eureka They are affordable and about $169 for the dish,about $30 something to ship. A DMS BSC621 LNBF works fine about $45.

Show us the photos when you're done.:)

tp 16 is that going to be for shepards chapel which is an analog channel ?

if its for the channel above then a small 4ft dish set stationary and you should be able to mount it low to keep it out of view, along with a old c band receiver should be able to pick this station up.
you can also get their video & audio from their website.

Last edited:
Shepherd's Chapel is on TP16 V analog :)

I use a 6 foot Foretc dish and have no issues with G16/G4

you MIGHT be able to get away with a 4 foot dish as analog has MUCH more give than digital does.

Yes, I am wanting to view Shepherd's Chapel. I have been watching them on their internet website for a while now, but the streaming video they provide is of very low bandwidth, so whenever I try to read along with the words on the screen, it is far too blurry to make out anything intelligible. That is why I want to go to a dedicated C-band setup. With it, I'll be able to read along with them as the text on the screen will be readable unlike over the internet.

So just a basic 4 foot or 6 foot dish plus an old analog reciever should do then huh? Anything else I might need for my first-time setup?

everything else we should be able to walk you through. if you have old c band dishes in your area maybe if you ask someone they will give you one. many are not being used and are laying dormant. a lot of free dishes around here.... if you ask

I have a 7 1/2 ft mesh dish and a 13 degree lnbf and the picture is crystal clear here in arkansas.

I would use the largest dish you can get away with. As mentioned, if you are handy you can find dishes free just for moving them. You might want to consider a six footer just for the other channels you could get and for some "breathing room" with your signal, although as Iceberg says a 4 footer would probably work.

If you like religious programming you may like World Harvest on the same bird-great family programming as well. The networks are all available there too and some other stuff.

Good Luck!

I guess I need to survey my site first. I am pretty sure I have a clear view to the south, but there might be part of the house in the way of some of the southwestern aspect of the view, though I'm not for sure because I don't know where this satellite is located. Apparently, Shepherd's Chapel's satellite (G16/G4) is located 99 degrees west longitude. Does this mean it is located 99 degrees above the horizon in the southern hemisphere? Maybe someone can explain this coordinate stuff to me as I'm new to all this. Isn't there a special device that makes for surveying easier or can this be done with just simple "guestimating"?

I drove around my neighborhood today and all I saw in the way of old C-band satellite dishes were of the monsterous 10, 12 and 14 footers. I did not see any 8 or 6 footers, let alone a 4 footer (by the way, weren't some of the old Primestar dishes pretty close to 4'?).

Anyway; I will keep my eyes peeled for a 4, 6 or 8 foot dish and when I spot one, I will go and knock on the door and do some inquiring.

Also, is it more preferable to have a metal mesh, solid aluminum or ??? (what other materials are they made from? I have no idea.)

Thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts