What is the TV output jack for on the OTA module? (MT2)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I've installed the OTA module (MT2) on my VIP 722k receiver but the module has two jacks:

Antenna In
TV Out (ch. 3-4)

I've connected my antenna to the input and it works but what is the TV output jack for and how does it differ from the home distribution jack on the receiver itself?

Thanks!

You now have the ability to run coax to a tv as tv1 and use ch 3 to view it.

It's not any different per se you just have an additional output for tv1

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ahhh, OK. So the home distribution jack is ONLY for TV 2?

That actually makes a big difference. I think I want my receiver is single-mode but have both coax + hdmi outputs...

No the Home distribution output is for BOTH TV1 & TV2 so the output on the MT2 isn't really needed but it does add the ability to use channels 3 or 4 if you need one of those choices.

No the Home distribution output is for BOTH TV1 & TV2.

Not really. Since there is only one, it has always been intended for TV2 (SD). HDMI or component for TV1 (or composite if it is SD). The output on the module...I don't understand the use for it, since there are better ways to connect.

Last edited:
KAB said:
Not really. Since there is only one, it has always been intended for TV2 (SD). HDMI or component for TV1 (or composite if it is SD). The output on the module...I don't understand the use for it, since there are better ways to connect.

Mirroring tv1.

KAB said:

You can modulate the distribution output to run tv1 and tv2 on separate channels via coax. I don't understand the output on the module either but it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There should be a way added to turn off the MT2 ch3/4 modulator output, it adds heat to the module itself causing it to fail sooner and the adjacent satellite tuner 1 is also exposed to the excess heat from the modulator, the tv/video button used to allow you to switch off the ch3/4 modulator but not on the MT2 module.

Home distribution can modulate for both TV 1 and TV 2 using the same bandwidth of channels available.

The Ch. 3/4 out is for legacy: One must design for quite a number of contingencies or possible set-ups and preferred use. A TV or other device that may not be able to receive the UHF or CATV, or who knows what else. Yes, there are such devices out there. I still have a 1984 Sony TV and others may have older that actually receive channel 3 or 4 better or the issue is that it is separate from the Home Distribution. All subscribers are not up to date power users. Consider granny.

Then granny ought to get herself a sidecar compsite ch 3/4 modulator, "available at walgreens" at the front of the vitamins isle. The home dist. output does MTS stereo, the ch 3/4 is just mono. Again there should be a way added in the menu to turn off the ch 3/4 out to reduce heat buildup in the MT2 module which is hot to the touch on the coxial out unlike the surrounding area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts