What is this 1 inch gray cylinder device on this coax?PIC

Dishman420

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Mo
and here it is! but what does it do? 20131030_134540.jpg

Could be an attenuator, or a trap, e.g. to cut out cable TV going into your cable modem.

Looks like an attenuator. It changes the strength of a signal passing through the coax.

Edit: TheKrell beat me to it.

Ah thanks I kept running into these but never knew what in the world they were, the direct TV man before me used it on the VHF port on a coax to a 3 way splitter or maybe it was the in/out not sure what it really does or why he put in on there but at least I know the name from some googling it seems it decreases the power going through the wire? so i guess he had too much voltage.

The writing is PPCSHPP3-50 527 I tried googling those numbers came up with nothing

It might have been a trap considering that before DirecTV was there he did have cable so maybe it was a trap and then the DirecTV man instead of taking it off just hooked it up to his Diplexor and called it good makes the most sense to me

Last edited:
To me, it looks like a high-pass filter that our cable co. used to put on sub drops w/out internet or digital cable boxes, &/or on splitter runs to TV's w/out set-top boxes...to keep the (cable modem) low-freq return path from getting "dirty"...