What is this connected to my Genie?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phxrick

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm curious what this is and what does it do or why is it needed?

It's connected to the Coax Cable and is also connected to the internet. What is it and what does it do? I've disconnected it from the internet and connected the Genie directly to the internet. I have the Genie and Genie Mini only and read somewhere that they did the same and it fixed the problems they were having with the Genie Mini. I'm hoping it will do the same for me.

Any info for a Newbe DirecTV customer would be appreciated.
2013-01-11 15.26.39.jpg

On the end with the pigtail it should have a power supply connected. It is just Directv cutting back on different equipment and using the receiver decas for Broadband decas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED using SatelliteGuys

The HR34 Genie can be connected directly to a router if you have one, it is unnecessary but is part of a standard install. The DECA you have is used to connect your Directv coax network to the internet.

If you plug the HR34 into the internet it will serve all your receivers.

I am starting to feel sorry for some of the new installers. It must be very difficult for them to learn all the configurations. It makes no sense to have this box on your HR34.

As jcrandall states, you would be better off to just plug the internet connection directly into your HR34 and remove this unnecessary DECA.

(On a recent upgrade install I mentioned the term "CCK" and the installer had no idea what I was talking about. I thought this was a generally used term with D* installers, but apparently not. I am not faulting the installers; they were great. But, it certainly makes it look like something is really missing from their training.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)