What is this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Susied

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Texas
I know I’m the only one who has problems with 25 resets a day, freezing, no dvr, snd constant irrelevant errors like USB ports being disconnected when there are none. BUT can ONE of you tech guys give a guess as to what may be causing just this one thing? I’ve been given a new hopper 3, but the two tech guys found nothing other than that which might be causing it. I don’t believe it’s the equipment..... could it be signal? CABLES?

All I know is that we will have new service after tonight. You don’t mess with football....

an Hour into the game it reset. Then does the jiggle. Then resets. And this game is good. Unacceptable

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, sorry, I tried to post a 38sec video showing what happens, but it’s too large. No, we don’t stream. We try to watch subscribed channels. If you try to change the channel, the screen goes black and nothing happens. The program constantly freezes, then you lose 30 seconds, or more. It has a scrambled picture, no picture, or frozen. It’s completely unwatchable. And we’ve tried channels all the way up and down. After a while, it resets. And, I might add, this is not just hopper3. This is any of the joeys, any time, all the time. Many many issues. Like it will reset, then the dvr won’t work. It remains on live no matter what. No pausing, ff, rw, or skipping. So, one problem leads to another and another. So you would think it’s an issue from a main source.

Attachments

• 93CCEFBE-8FF1-4077-AE9A-1024A1F7ED67.jpg
    93CCEFBE-8FF1-4077-AE9A-1024A1F7ED67.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: charlesrshell
Is this a new install or are you a "seasoned" customer?

Have you had your home wiring checked for spikes or other anomalies, something sounds like it is messing with the H3 memory, scrambling it?

Maybe your house wiring has the ground and the common reversed - just wild guesses.

Is your Dish system properly grounded to the whole house ground in your electrical panel?

Does the H3 work properly for a while then glitch or is it glitchy all the time?

How long after a power cord reboot (pull the plug, wait 30 seconds then reconnect power) does it start acting up?

Did the techs change out your lnb on the roof?

Maybe tomorrow some of the Dish techs that visit here can give more relevant help.

That picture may be weak signal. press Home Home Home 3 to bring up the satellite signal screen (Home means the little house top center of the remote).

It tells you which satellites you see and the signal strength.

For EA (61.5 and 72.7) it should be around 60. For 110, 119, 129 possibly higher in the seventies, maybe.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm curious, too, if this is a new install. Possibly replacing Direct and the installer left a SWN power inserter or SWM switch in the cabling or an upgrade with a diplexer still in the cabling

That sure looks like over boosting of the signal. It sometimes happens when you add a signal booster to an OTA antenna and the boosted signal strength overrides the TV's builtin AGC. When this was installed they didn't reuse existing cables by any chance?

That picture may be weak signal. press Home Home Home 3 to bring up the satellite signal screen (Home means the little house top center of the remote).

It tells you which satellites you see and the signal strength.

For EA (61.5 and 72.7) it should be around 60. For 110, 119, 129 possibly higher in the seventies, maybe.
Does it mean anything if there are x’s under signal?
The signal strength says 62.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. In answer to some, no this isn’t new install. And all the grounds have been checked and rechecked. We don’t use an OTA. The problems persist, although they may be different after a reboot. For example, the last reboot gave good picture with no freezing, glitches, or skipping, however, the dvr went into crazy mode. It doesn’t allow any features to work. Remains on “live” at all times. So, I reboot to fix that, and it then goes back to freezing, glitches, etc. also, if you try to change channels, they don’t change. I was on TCM (132), punch in ESPN (140) and it stays on 132. BUT, if you hit select, it shows 140 and that channels program info. After 3 minutes, it finally changed but was messed up. The receivers reset randomly. All day.

• Sad
Are you really certain it is not the H3 itself. In my personal experience such vexing problems while all else is GOOD, the problem is, in fact, the DVR unit. On more than one occasion, I had to get through TWO DVR replacements only DAYS apart before the THIRD replacement was the charm with absolutely solid perfomance for years (not counting firmware downloads that can break things :))

OK, if you truly are certain it is NOT the H3 itself, then NOT being a new install can also be the culprit: perhaps a failing power inverter feeding power to a switch or LNBF's; water in the cables outside over time; well, all manner of whatever in the many links in the chain, maybe even a re-peak of the reflector that can cause problems with the SLIGHTEST nudge of a movement. It may be wise to have the whole install checked, re-peaked, and try replacing suspected splitters or switches, etc. that may be in the chain.

Well, I am dying to know what you eventually find the problem is causing you grief.

Are you really certain it is not the H3 itself. In my personal experience such vexing problems while all else is GOOD, the problem is, in fact, the DVR unit. On more than one occasion, I had to get through TWO DVR replacements only DAYS apart before the THIRD replacement was the charm with absolutely solid perfomance for years (not counting firmware downloads that can break things :))
Exactly. These symptoms are so bizarre, I vote for the 2nd H3 failing as well. Both 1st and 2nd probably just had failing disks. Why Dish would replace your first bad H3 with another, I do not know. :( My personal experience having 3 Dish receivers replaced with refurbished was all good.

Exactly. These symptoms are so bizarre, I vote for the 2nd H3 failing as well. Both 1st and 2nd probably just had failing disks. Why Dish would replace your first bad H3 with another, I do not know. :( My personal experience having 3 Dish receivers replaced with refurbished was all good.

It's not unheard-of. I got an H2 that was a raging flaky piece of crap to replace an H2 that just had a bad disk.

So I guess DISH has decided to try yet another Hooper3. Scheduled to come out tomorrow. Is there anything else I should ask them to check? Like in the wiring, dish itself, or signal?

Also, can anyone recommend a good ED to transfer recordings? I have one but it’s not transferring. I’d like to get that done if possible.

Keeping my fingers crossed. We have been having problems for nearly a year and this will be the third hopper. That’s why I’m not convinced that is the problem.

So I guess DISH has decided to try yet another Hooper3. Scheduled to come out tomorrow. Is there anything else I should ask them to check? Like in the wiring, dish itself, or signal?

Also, can anyone recommend a good ED to transfer recordings? I have one but it’s not transferring. I’d like to get that done if possible.

Keeping my fingers crossed. We have been having problems for nearly a year and this will be the third hopper. That’s why I’m not convinced that is the problem.
I've had a WD (Western Digital) on my Hopper 2 for many years w/o any problems.

OK, I'll throw my considerable weight behind the WD comments above. I too have had them for many years, and in particular the WD Green drive. The Green drives very aggressively spin themselves down when not being accessed. This does not disturb Dish DVRs because they appear to be still spinning and just spin themselves up again when needed. Therefore the wear is much less and (I asume) longevity is greatly enhanced.

Just saw this thread. HDMI cables. Either make sure they are on good if they are replace. I assume there is nothing between the HDMI cable and your TV like an audio receiver etc.
And one more assumption - it isn't a new TV.

Yes, WD used to be my go to and i have quite a few of them, but those are previous generations of WD's. However, I have been greatly troubled to read on forums about the latest gens of WD failing quickly or just not working out of the box: really bad reviews. It has been years since I have purchased a WD HDD (and those HDD's for both Dish and as NAS are still going strong at about 7 Years for the ones I use as NAS, I really have fear of what I would be getting should I buy a WD tomorrow.

Can anyone inform us of their personal experience of a very recent--say the last year or so--WD HDD? I would sure like to know from the good group of forum folk here on SatGuysUS.

Just saw this thread. HDMI cables. Either make sure they are on good if they are replace. I assume there is nothing between the HDMI cable and your TV like an audio receiver etc.
And one more assumption - it isn't a new TV.
Seen similar things as far as the picture goes at least, with bad HDMI ports on customer TVs.

While the DVR issue is nearly 100% an issue with the Hopper itself, the picture may not be.

Few ideas you can try, if there issues aren't fixed by now.

1. Verify that your wall outlet is correctly working and is having no issues. Try to plug the Hopper in through a surge protector if possible.

2. Check your signal strength. Do the following: Home -> Home -> Home -> 3. You'll be in the "Dish" tab of system info. Hit 5 to test installation. Make sure all tuners for both satellites come in. Also check signal by selecting Tuner 1, Satellite 61.5, and transponder 14. Also check satellite 72, and check transponder 15 on both aswell. Anything over 48 is considered good signal strength. If it's below this, the dish needs peaked or the LNB needs replaced. Maybe also try checking if the LNB is condensated if it's accessable.

3. Check the HDMI cable and port. Many times I have seen these go bad, even on new TVs and the customer will nearly NEVER admit it's the issue. Try a different HDMI cord and a different HDMI port on the TV to see if any issues come up. Also try a different device and see if it has any issues. Maybe even try to hook the Hopper up to a different TV.

4. Make sure all cabling is good. Make sure it's rated 3GHz RG6 cable. Make sure there is nothing unnecessary on the cable run and if there is, have the techs run a new cable.

Best of luck with this.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)