What Is Up With DVB-S2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankee495

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Southwest Missouri
Using a 6' dish and DMX741 I'm having trouble with some S2 signals. I have read to use a 8' or larger dish. Some signals are so strong while on others the Q jumps like an audio meter on a stereo!

Most I have tested are C band. Some are Ku and some Ku I just plain can't get. Am looking into that also.

Some=real good or jumping Q on the same band.

Even with real good S I get the Q problem. The ones I don't get have a S of 45 or so with 5-10-12 Q. LPBS on AMC 21 125W for example.

For reliable LPBS, a 4 foot Offset is recommended! :) (that signal seems to fade in the evening too)

As for C Band, yes, better than 8 foot is recommended, along with "Spot On" Mount and LNBF alignments.

LPBS can be done with a 6 footer! I get a good signal with mine.I do have a problem getting a few s2 signals but not many.I get RTV very well on AMC 3 4080 but not a peep out of 3800.:(

I have a 8 foot dish and have trouble with some S2 signals as well.

Yes, the size makes all the difference on S-2 signals. I have a 10 footer and it pulls 'em all in on C-band just fine. :)
For ku, like LPBS, I have a 1.2 meter Primestar offset. No fade-outs there either.

I have a round metal Primestar I'm going to point at something. My family TV is giving me a fit as is satmex 5 (the whole sat) and I think it is a tree.

I've talked about it and it is a small tree with no leaves but like 25' in front of the dish. I'm sure it breaks up and scatters the signal. It is gonna be cut down soon.

My ABC feeds glitch with good S & Q (84 & 82). My RTV's seem to be ok, gotta bunch! And most of the S2's are ok, weaker then I would like because of the dish, but as I said others with about the same S & Q are horrid! Some just not there...I can pick up astronaut farts from the dark side of the moon but not a hiccup out of LPBS.

I guess we're repeating what some of you already know but I had only seen it mentioned in a thread here and there so here lies the facts guys. Get at least an 8' and you may still have trouble like Scott or a 10' and be happy like eurosport84.

When the tree is gone and it is a bit warmer I'll tweak the dish some more. I think I have it pretty close but I'll report back. Also I have not seen a S & Q comparison between people with the same equipment, well, almost the same like I have a 6' with S9 and DMX741.

Would like to compare it to other 6' dishes to give me an idea if I just ain't gonna get much better.

What I really want is a FTA HD PVR with ATSC tuner that has a ON button and can read your mind hooked up to a 10 inch dish you stab in the ground (like the little windmill flowers) and call it good and it IS! And all for just $100!

Hear that WSI? This is what we want!

Sorry, really, love the DMX741.

Yankee I have similar results to everyone else...I had a 6 footer and went to an 8 foot, it did help. There's a couple I still can't get...Wazoo sports and whatever else is on that TP. The RTV stuff is iffy for me. Sometimes I get all the RTV, sometimes nothing....I guess a 10 footer would be the way to go.I have same receiver as you do, just with a Geosat C/Ku lnb...Blind

What I really want is a FTA HD PVR with ATSC tuner that has a ON button and can read your mind hooked up to a 10 inch dish you stab in the ground (like the little windmill flowers) and call it good and it IS! And all for just $100!
LOL.... I'll take a couple of those too! :)

Some just not there...I can pick up astronaut farts from the dark side of the moon but not a hiccup out of LPBS.

LPBS was originally a very hard one for me to tune in... even on a 1.2m fixed dish. After days of peaking and tweaking, I finally got it to where I have all the national PBS, OETA and LPB. If your 6 footer is used for both C and ku, that size should be plenty big enough for LPBS.

Just a couple eurosport? Come on now be a sport, we need a big order to get these in production!

Hey blind, I have not seen Wazoo sports so I'll check if I'm getting it. If I am then I may be about as good as can be expected. I really think that stupid tree is disrupting the signal enough to screw it up, not block it, just make it unstable even with good S&Q.

LPBS, sounds like it would be a good fine tune channel eurosport.

Yankee Look through the postings,late last year or early this year that same issue was debated over size for reception of S2 and one member said they get reception with a 6 footer with the proper equipment.Just food for thought...

Yankee Look through the postings,late last year or early this year that same issue was debated over size for reception of S2 and one member said they get reception with a 6 footer with the proper equipment.Just food for thought...

Oh I get reception, but I want'em all! I was just asking for a comparison of what people get. LPBS could be gone since then. It is as far as I can tell....So I had to ask.

Thanks, I'll try and find it as we never really do know it all.

Again!! its doable with a 6 footer heres a pic and while its snowing outside tonight! 12068 h 12473 AMC21 ku

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 211
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)