What is "Web Activation" anyway?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RBob

Original poster
May 19, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
On my 722, I find a "Web Activation" menu entry under "Broadband Setup." Trying it always gives me a "Failed to activate ..." error. searching, I can find lots of folks with the same complaint, but I can't find out what it's actually supposed to do.

The receiver's online, although it's behind a DSL router and there are no NAT entries to pass outside traffic in to it. There's no Sling box here.

The "disheverywhere" Web site (or whatever it's called) knows about the receiver and seems to be able to see my recorded shows and timers.

So, what am I missing by not having Web Activation work?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think it has anything to do with Sling. It has to do with Dish sending you a replacement receiver. If you don't have a replacement receiver from Dish, then it won't do squat.

Web Activation is what was needed back in the day with the original DishRemote Access site. At one point you had to go to those screens and to the site online and enter a code to connect your receiver to the server. I'm guessing those were just left in the menus instead of removed because it would problably cost more than whats its worth to recode the software to remove them and also because they knew it would cause a really small amount of impact if any by leaving it.

Web Activation is what was needed back in the day with the original DishRemote Access site. At one point you had to go to those screens and to the site online and enter a code to connect your receiver to the server. I'm guessing those were just left in the menus instead of removed because it would problably cost more than whats its worth to recode the software to remove them and also because they knew it would cause a really small amount of impact if any by leaving it.

Interesting? I thought it was the way that the box still "phoned home" since a lot of people don't have landlines anymore? Although I know that you didn't need a landline anymore since February of last year or whatever? But it's needed for downloading movies or what have you.

Last edited:
No "Web Activation" and "Call Out/Send Status" aren't the same thing. lucky86 is right. As I said, old Sling-related function, no longer needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts