What is your biggest cell phone mistake?

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I sometimes regret the choice of Sprint for my current phone carrier but I think my biggest mistake was when I accepted an offer to "test" a phone called the Pantech Duo. It was a too small (2.2 inch) screen that couldn't handle tables or landscape orientation text and while the small size was intriguing the two slider keyboards were convenient and great for typing but made it a ridiculously thick phone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/pantech-duo-c810-at/4505-6452_7-32730547.html

Samsung glyed from Verizon. What a POS. the gs3 is my first great experience with a Samsung smart phone.

Any Samsung I tried I gave up on them a long time ago.

Switched to Sprint for a couple of months. I was lucky that they changed my TOS so I was able to get out of the contract on 5 phones without any ETF. With that the two worst phones we have ever had was the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. The Hero was just a little better than the moment but both were very bad.

I really don't have any bad phone experiences (or bad phone sex experiences for that matter :D - but that's a separate topic of discussion), however I am starting to regret my decision to stay with Sprint. Over the years I have been happy with the service and unlimited data with them, and I was initially pleased when they were the first to deploy 4G (WiMax) network. However, WiMax was spottily deployed, and then pretty much abandoned in place, and I routinely turned off the battery sucking WiMax antenna until I was stationary and sitting directly under a known antenna location the past 2 1/4 years.

In steps Sprint LTE to the rescue...except, good luck finding it in Baltimore and the north-east part of Dallas where I live. It's supposed to be available on the street-level at the locations I frequent but, in reality, it is miles away and the connections are spotty, at best. I guess I could live it while LTE is being deployed over the next year or two, but their 3G has become so incredibly show that I pay as well dig out my first U.S. Robotics 2400bps modem and carry around my laptop. I'm actually regretting giving up my EVO 4G because I would occasionally connect to a WiMax tower every blue moon.

Not my doing, but the take over of Alltel here by AT&T and the resulting switch over to their phones and service which is spotty here, decent to the east, but non existent in the hills where before you got on a hill and had signal... my doing years ago, jumping in a pool with my week old phone.

I have two. Breaking my iPhone 3 screen (don't even remember how I did it). And paying for a cheap repair (which didn't really work).

Your pick as to which was worse.

I've had cellular for many years. Maybe 20 or more?
For the most part, handsets 'n service have been good and gotten better over the years.

I did order a cheap lithium battery from Newegg for my little blue Ericsson flip.
Didn't work for #%^*, and returning it was too costly.
That might have been 8 years back.

But the biggest regret of late, was passing up a clean used iPhone 4S this summer for $135.
Now the market has changed, and this plain-Jane-4 is close to $150.
Maybe I'll sell it now and get a 4S after Xmas.
Surely the price will fall when Apple quits offering $200 trade in on them.

Ideas welcome, in PM if you like, as it's not really on topic for this thread. ;)

I really don't have any bad phone experiences (or bad phone sex experiences for that matter :D - but that's a separate topic of discussion), however I am starting to regret my decision to stay with Sprint. Over the years I have been happy with the service and unlimited data with them, and I was initially pleased when they were the first to deploy 4G (WiMax) network. However, WiMax was spottily deployed, and then pretty much abandoned in place, and I routinely turned off the battery sucking WiMax antenna until I was stationary and sitting directly under a known antenna location the past 2 1/4 years.

In steps Sprint LTE to the rescue...except, good luck finding it in Baltimore and the north-east part of Dallas where I live. It's supposed to be available on the street-level at the locations I frequent but, in reality, it is miles away and the connections are spotty, at best. I guess I could live it while LTE is being deployed over the next year or two, but their 3G has become so incredibly show that I pay as well dig out my first U.S. Robotics 2400bps modem and carry around my laptop. I'm actually regretting giving up my EVO 4G because I would occasionally connect to a WiMax tower every blue moon.

If you have the EVO LTE then that's why you can't find the LTE. HTC screwed up big time on that phone.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I think the Iphone 4 and 4S in general was a mistake with the signal issues when you held it a certain way. Im very satisfied with the Iphone5.

Glad Verizon finallly got the Iphone and was finally able to dump AT&T. I also remember I was glad when I finally dumped Nextel and got my first Verizon Phone. I remember Nextel was good for the Walkie Talkie feature, but the fact it didn't work half the time, it got to the point where it was easier just to make a regular phone call.

Got everything right on on Verizon with share everything. Very happy with the plan, and with the 8 devices on my account im only using 3 GB of Data, which is well below the 10 Gigs I purchased.

Biggest mistake was not talking my wife out of getting an iPhone 4. She has had nothing but problems with it, it is slow, and at one point lost the entire first months baby pictures when it decided it had to be factory restored. Her upgrade discount is available starting this weekend and she's eyeing the Stratosphere II once it becomes official.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I, personally have been quite happy with all my phone selections since the first bag phone from Motorola.

My wife, however, has been the most unhappy with her blackberry. She has developed a whole new vocabulary of curse words since being forced to use it by her employer.

Re: What is your biggest cell phone mistake?

Leaving it on top of my car when I drove off - topic of a post in the "sad/annoyed" thread...

To this point I have been strictly a "dumb phone" user, which is probably more accurately phrased "dumb" phone user. But I'm about to pull the trigger on an iPhone 5 at which time I'll probably give up having any cell plan on my iPad altogether and just tether it. I figure any time I'm away from wi-fi and need to get on-line with the 'Pad, I'll have the 'Phone with me anyway. Besides, with any luck the 'Phone will take over a lot of what I was doing with the 'Pad...and then some! The 'Pad will still have its place, just not as my primary 'net access...

bhelms said:
Re: What is your biggest cell phone mistake?

Leaving it on top of my car when I drove off - topic of a post in the "sad/annoyed" thread...

To this point I have been strictly a "dumb phone" user, which is probably more accurately phrased "dumb" phone user. But I'm about to pull the trigger on an iPhone 5 at which time I'll probably give up having any cell plan on my iPad altogether and just tether it. I figure any time I'm away from wi-fi and need to get on-line with the 'Pad, I'll have the 'Phone with me anyway. Besides, with any luck the 'Phone will take over a lot of what I was doing with the 'Pad...and then some! The 'Pad will still have its place, just not as my primary 'net access...

I've found my iPad taking away from what I used to do on my phone, but maybe that's my 50 year-old eyes.

I think the Iphone 4 and 4S in general was a mistake with the signal issues when you held it a certain way. Im very satisfied with the Iphone5.

Glad Verizon finallly got the Iphone and was finally able to dump AT&T. I also remember I was glad when I finally dumped Nextel and got my first Verizon Phone. I remember Nextel was good for the Walkie Talkie feature, but the fact it didn't work half the time, it got to the point where it was easier just to make a regular phone call.

Got everything right on on Verizon with share everything. Very happy with the plan, and with the 8 devices on my account im only using 3 GB of Data, which is well below the 10 Gigs I purchased.

I don't know anyone with 4S that had that problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts