What is "your" teams greatest ever starting 8 (9)? ***Single year team****

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
*****This thread is for the ONE year team, not the overall team*******

Inspired by the 70's "Big Red Machine" discussion in the MLB thread, what is (in your opinion) your teams best ever starting lineup.

Mine for the Red Sox is easy......it's the late 70's era lineup.

2B- Jerry Remy
SS- Rick Burleson
CF- Fred Lynn
DH- Jim Rice
LF- Carl Yastremski
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- George Scott
RF- Dwight Evans
3B- Butch Hobson

One year Hobson hit 30 HRs hitting out of the 9 hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inspired by the 70's "Big Red Machine" discussion in the MLB thread, what is (in your opinion) your teams best ever starting lineup.

Mine for the Red Sox is easy......it's the late 70's era lineup.

2B- Jerry Remy: Says Pahk the cah in the yahd.

SS- Rick Burleson No criticism, but knew when it was time to leave Dodge

CF- Fred Lynn. Fair weather Freddie, good for 140 games a year, and capable of coasting just enough to make every routine catch into a diving catch.

DH- Jim Rice: the guy who took his uniform shirt off in the dugout during one of the greatest Red Sox comebacks of all time, the guy who started a fight with a 60 year old coach, the guy who bunted on his own during the prime of his career after he had grounded into over 20 double plays by the all-star break. And the guy who, even in his prime, couldn't hit the best pitchers. Rice hit .400 against the mediocre pitchers. I remember that at one point in his career, Yaz had a .380 average against Nolan Ryan. Somewhere on the internet, there is a site that shows the records of every hitter against every pitcher. I'll try to find it and see how Rice hit against Nolan Ryan. (In fairness to Rice, Mickey Mantle struck out 12 times in 16 at bats against Dick Radatz)

LF- Carl Yastremski: World's greatest sulker and pouter. The Red Sox lost productive years from Ben Ogilvy, Cecil Cooper and Juan Beníquez to make room to keep Yaz's has-been bat in the line-up

RF Dwight Evans: Dewey became a major league star in 1981. Before that he was the WORST RBI man in baseball. I think he, Fred Lynn and Rick Monday are something like the only three players to ever drive in fewer than 60 RBI in a season while hitting over 20 homers. I'll have to look that one up

C- Carlton Fisk: The human rain delay

1B- George Scott: Cementhead. Hit about .190 in 1968. In 1978, he struck out 20 times in 25 at bats but then followed that streak with a mammoth home run, and the fans cheered wildly, waiting for Scott to acknowledge them but Scott wouldn't come out and the opposing pitcher wouldn't pitch, so Luis Tiant ended the impasse by pretending to be George Scott. He rolled up his baseball jacket and put it under his jersey to look like Scott's gut and put on Scott's helmet, which was his trademark because he even wore it in the field, and Tiant came out and waved to the crowd until they sat down. Never saw a curveball in the dirt that he didn't like.

3B- Butch Hobson: Cokehead. Bil James once wrote that the only things Butch Hobson knows about playing defense are, run as hard at the ball as you can, and when you get it, throw it as hard as you can. He once led the American League in errors while playing third. I think he had 47. That might have been the only time a 3rd baseman led a league in errors.

And about Yaz: In the fall of 1966, Yaz had a novel idea. He would work out during the off-season. That really was a novel approach back then. Then Yaz, who had already been a three time allstar but who had never hit more than 20 homers in a season, hit 44, 40 and 40 in three of the next four years. Then, major league baseball outlawed the use of human growth hormone, which was widely used by NFL players, in the off season between the 1970 and 1971 seasons, and Yaz never again hit even 30 homers in a season. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
C- Mike Piazza
1B - Steve Garvey
2B - Jackie Robinson
SS - Maury Wills and Pee Wee Reese (tie)
3B - Ron Cey
OF - Duke Snyder, Matt Kemp, Shawn Greene
P - Koufax

If we go by players that have only played for a short time and put up the best numbers for one year, then we would have to put Beltre at 3rd, Furcal at SS, Lopes at 2nd, Mondesi and Sheffield in the OF.

C Yadier Molina
1B Albert Pujols
2B Rogers Hornsby
SS Ozzie Smith
3B Ken Boyer
LF Stan Musial
CF Lou Brock
RF Enos Slaughter

LHP Harry Brecheen
RHP Bob Gibson
Relief pitcher Bruce Sutter

Last edited:
C- Mike Piazza
1B - Steve Garvey
2B - Jackie Robinson
SS - Maury Wills and Pee Wee Reese (tie)
3B - Ron Cey
OF - Duke Snyder, Matt Kemp, Shawn Greene
P - Koufax

If we go by players that have only played for a short time and put up the best numbers for one year, then we would have to put Beltre at 3rd, Furcal at SS, Lopes at 2nd, Mondesi and Sheffield in the OF.

I meant greatest lineups in a single year/era. Certainly any Red Sox lineup would begin and end with Ted Williams. :)

When I think of your Dodgers, I also harken back to the late 70's (obviously you're more qualified to say if this is indeed their greatest lineup)

1B- Steve Garvey
2B- Davey Lopes
SS- Billy Russell
3B- Ron Cey
LF- Dusty Baker
CF- Rick Monday
RF- Reggie Smith
C- Steve Yeager (with a fair amount of John Ferguson sprinkled in)

Pirates

RF Roberto Clemente
CF.Andy Van Slyke
LF Barry Bonds
1B Willie Stargell
2B Bill Mazeroski
3B Bill Madlock
SS Gene Alley
C. Manny Sanguillen
RP Kent Tekulve tied with Dave Giusti
RHP Steve Blass
LHP John Canderlla

I just picked guys I've seen play in my time

I remember hearing a Minnesota Twins player interviewed around 1991 as Player of the Game. He actually said, "I had the opportunity of breaking in on one of the greatest teams of all time. We had Kirby Puckett, Gary Gaetti, Ken Hrbeck, Tom Brunansky." Some people don't have much of a sense of history. For that matter, Ron Cey, Bill Russell, Dusty Baker, Steve Yeager and Rick Monday were pretty ordinary.

Last edited:
I meant greatest lineups in a single year/era. Certainly any Red Sox lineup would begin and end with Ted Williams. :)

When I think of your Dodgers, I also harken back to the late 70's (obviously you're more qualified to say if this is indeed their greatest lineup)

1B- Steve Garvey
2B- Davey Lopes
SS- Billy Russell
3B- Ron Cey
LF- Dusty Baker
CF- Rick Monday
RF- Reggie Smith
C- Steve Yeager (with a fair amount of John Ferguson sprinkled in)
If that is what you meant, then I would have to agree.

For the pitcher it would have to be Sutton

And about Yaz: In the fall of 1966, Yaz had a novel idea. He would work out during the off-season. That really was a novel approach back then. Then Yaz, who had already been a three time allstar but who had never hit more than 20 homers in a season, hit 44, 40 and 40 in three of the next four years. Then, major league baseball outlawed the use of human growth hormone, which was widely used by NFL players, in the off season between the 1970 and 1971 seasons, and Yaz never again hit even 30 homers in a season. Hmmmm....

I did not know HGH was outlawed that early. I thought it happened in 2005. They are only now implementing in season testing. The stuff was pretty rare back then. It was not synthesized till the 1980s so it had to be harvested from cadavers in that era.

Last edited:
Pirates 1979

LF Bill Robinson
CF Omar Moreno
RF Dave Parker
1B Willie Stargell
2B Phil Garner
SS Tim Foli
3B Bill Madlock
C Ed Ott
P John Candelaria RP Kent Tekulve

Texas Rangers

OF - Rusty Greer
OF - Juan Gonzalez
OF - Josh Hamilton
1B - Pete O'Brien
2B - Ian Kinsler
SS - Elvis Andrus
3B - Dean Palmer
C - Ivan Rodriguez
P - Nolan Ryan, Charlie Hough
RP - John Wetteland

Texas Rangers

OF - Rusty Greer
OF - Juan Gonzalez
OF - Josh Hamilton
1B - Pete O'Brien
2B - Ian Kinsler
SS - Elvis Andrus
3B - Dean Palmer
C - Ivan Rodriguez
P - Nolan Ryan, Charlie Hough
RP - John Wetteland

ANOTHER team I liked... Pudge.... BEST all around catchers of all time: Johnny Bench 1...Pudge 1A.

I did not know HGH was outlawed that early. I thought it happened in 2005. They are only now implementing in season testing. The stuff was pretty rare back then. It was not synthesized till the 1980s so it had to be harvested from cadavers in that era.

Tom House eventually became the Johnny Appleseed of whatever performance enhancing additives anyone desperate might have wanted to try back in the 1970s. He said that back then, some people were trying things that you wouldn't give to a horse if you cared about the horse. FWIW, Nolan Ryan hooked up with Tom House at the point late in his career when he became impossibly good for a person that old, and Ryan used to sing the praises of House's brilliant understanding of "conditioning". I remember back then House saying that Ryan had the perfect "software" to match his "hardware" and that replicating the training regemin he had developed for Ryan would surely not be optimal for others...

I have no doubt that some were using it in the 1970s I just don't think that use became widespread until it became possible to synthesize it and then it was katy bar the door. Besides you are hinting that yaz used it BEFORE that period and that HGH was banned at the begiining of the 70s. I a surprised that MLB would have banned it that early. I remember all that furor i the mid 2000s over it and I always thought that the NCAA ban in '89 was the first ban. Also every article I dig up cites the 2005 date fro the ban not a date as early as you cite.

BTW I would not take a position on whether Yaz used it or any other PED. I simply don't have any information on that and I can't imagine he would own up to it if it were true. . There has always been pressure to raise performance and even with today's knowledge of the risks people make bad decisions. in that era the effects of HGH would not have been as well established and he and other athletes may have thought that the us of a "natural" substance was probably OK. I am not saying that made it right but I can certainly understand the decision making process.

Last edited:
Atlanta Braves 2003:

SS Rafael Furcal
2B Marcus Giles
RF Gary Sheffield
LF Chipper Jones
CF Andruw Jones
C Javy Lopez
3B Vinny Castilla
1B Robert Fick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)