Notre Dame to leave the Big East for the ACC? Can football follow?

I heard this about a month ago, but they didnt know if it was a done deal yet. Being a ND fan their bball team has been fun to watch the last couple of years and hopefully this will allow them to get some bigger name recruits.

I heard this about a month ago, but they didnt know if it was a done deal yet. Being a ND fan their bball team has been fun to watch the last couple of years and hopefully this will allow them to get some bigger name recruits.

Do you think being in the Big East was negatively affecting their hoops recruiting??

I just don't get Conferences allow ND to come in without football.

I do not either. And it makes little sense considering that they will be playing 5 acc teams a year. Why not just make it official in all of them?

The ACC just needs to change its name to the "new" Big East and be done with it.

I never understood why a conference would cave to ND. ND gets access to the conference bowls and bowl money, but doesn't participate in the conference in the sport that makes the most money. Despite Deloss Dodds being stuck up on ND, the rest of the Big 12 wouldn't agree unless ND was in for all sports. This isn't that big of deal for ND in football games, as they already play 3 or 4 ACC or soon to be ACC schools, so they really aren't changing anything, but will have access to ACC bowl alliances now.

Read they will play 5 ACC teams in football. So, they will have to drop a few games they presently play. That could affect what NBC is willing to offer them at the renewal in 2015. Also heard the Big 10 wouldn't take them without full membership, including football. Now, it wouldn't suprise me if the Big 10 teams they play, Purdue, Mich., Mich. St., are the ones they drop.

They already play Pitt, BC and Wake Forest annually, with Miami back on the schedule this year. So they really only need to drop one other game to meet the 5 games. They can slot another ACC school into the schedule after they finish their home and home series with Oklahoma next year or the year after or they can drop the series they have setup with BYU. ND won't drop any of their games with the Big 10 schools, Navy or USC.

Looks like the ACC is going to raise their exit fee to $50 million too. They didn't say when that will go into effect.

I do not either. And it makes little sense considering that they will be playing 5 acc teams a year. Why not just make it official in all of them?

The ACC just needs to change its name to the "new" Big East and be done with it.
I think both sides are looking ahead.

Notre Dame in case the new 4-team playoffs doesn't allow independents. And also to the demise of Big East as it is now. Plus the ACC looking ahead to Notre Dame expanding to a full conference football schedule. Pl;us, having Notre Dame (even if only 5 instead of 8 conf. games still boosts their tv ratings a lot).

My guess is that when the NBC contract is over, then Irish football will go full time ACC.

Last I knew, Notre Dame still had a sweetheart deal with the BCS, where as long as they were in the top maybe 12, they got to be in one of the four biggest bowl games. I don't remember exactly how it worked. Do they still have something like that?

Beyond football and basketball, what about Hockey?...especially with the Big Ten teams getting ready to bail on the CCHA when they officially launch the B1G Hockey Conference next year. I cannot wait to see plenty of the best college hockey on BTN next year. Regardless, joining the Big Ten is the only conference that makes sense for Notre Dame (football, basketball and hockey) but there is no way Big Ten members are going to succumb to any unreasonable demands. It's a shame!

"We have monitored the changing conference landscape for many months and have concluded that moving to the ACC is the best course of action for us," Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick said. "We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports.
Read: We don't want to lose that big NBC $$

ND is already a part of the ACC in football - they already play teams either currently in it or going to be in it and this 5 ACC team play a season just seals it. Expect ND to fully join the football program after a few years is my bet.

So, this move gives the ACC 15 teams in basketball. Will they keep the odd number, or add another school??

uconn_50.png
wink, wink...

ND is already a part of the ACC in football - they already play teams either currently in it or going to be in it and this 5 ACC team play a season just seals it. Expect ND to fully join the football program after a few years is my bet.

It's just not going to happen. NBC will pony up $20-25 million to keep ND football on NBC and NBCSN and then ND will get its part of the acc money for Olympic sports. They are not going to get anywhere near that kind of money and national exposure by going full in with the ACC.

No thanks to that idea.The ACC is an historic conference,the Big East was basically a johnny come lately.

I will say that the ACC should have gotten ND football as well,but I guess they are in almost panic mode with all the super conferences these days.

I also thought that Uconn would have been in the ACC before Pitt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)