What LNB,lnbf and should i use a feed horn on 8'prime focus dish

The primary reasons I would suggest a LNBF over a feedhorn with LNBs is simplicity and cost. A feedhorn with servo motor polarity and quality LNBs will always outperform a LNBF or an orthomode on a motorized dish. The ability to fine tune the skew to optimize for each transponder provides the best solution for the advanced hobbyist. If you are only watching the typical program distribution transponders, a LNBF is the way to go.

There is no substitute for reflector size and surface accuracy. A feedhorn will only optimize the capabilities of your system. A 7.5 foot dish is still not 2 degree compliant and this will be the greatest limiting factor when trying to receive a transponder with overlapping frequencies from adjacent satellites. No feedhorn will change this fact. Your choice of feedhorns, LNBs, filtration and other hardware will depend on the type of viewing you are interested in and your budget.

Why buy a high performance Ferrari if you need a daily driver pick-up truck? Why by a workhorse pick-up if you desire a fast Ferrari?

I'll trade you my workhorse pick-up for a Ferrari. :clappingNever know when I may have to make a fast retreat from the wife.

I have several lnbs, 2 actuator drives, echo 5000 receiver and the GI 4DTV reciver; plus some modules. contact me by pm if interested.

I recently got a C1W-PLL. How do you keep that blue throat cap in place? Certainly isn't a tight fit. I replaced a CK1 with this LNBF because of hail damage and I found that wasps were building a nest inside the throat (because the throat cover got knocked out at some point). Gorilla glue it on?

Personally I wouldn't glue it on i would just do a wrap or two of electical tape/PTFE round the throat make sure it is clean and dry before you do it.

Reactions: KE4EST
Ti LNBFs are shipped with a piece of amalgamated rubber tape affixed to the side of the dielectric slab. This is included to either keep the dielectric or the cap in place. I use a 1/8" piece of the tape on opposing sides of the insert to retain the cap in place. The rubber tape has a firm grip, but doesn't leave a residue.
I recently got a C1W-PLL. How do you keep that blue throat cap in place? Certainly isn't a tight fit. I replaced a CK1 with this LNBF because of hail damage and I found that wasps were building a nest inside the throat (because the throat cover got knocked out at some point). Gorilla glue it on?

Reactions: martin-f
Doeboy 1982

I'm soon to order a 8' prime focus sat dish I really want the 10' or 12' but that's not in my budget at this time I've heard with the 8' I would lose about 10%but I know I can get 100%with a 10'or 12' so my question is what is the best lnb for FTA on a 8' and should I feed horn or lnbf and this is going to be c-band only set up i already have a Ku band off set dish so I'm trying to get everything together I'm currently waiting on my receiver and sat link finder to come in im wanting to use both sat dishes on one receiver and I will be installing a 22khz switch to join the two dishes into one feed cable to the lnb in on the receiver it's a smart receiver c and ku band with lots of extras I don't want to combine the two dishes into one dish with a lnb that uses both c and ku band s of fear of losing signal on one or the other any tips on this issue will be greatly appreciated as I'm a newbie at FTA

A 12 foot dish on average has over 70% more gain than an 8 foot dish. Good luck, I would hold out for a 10 if you can.

Reactions: martin-f

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)