What makes someone an athlete?

According to Marian Webster: GAME
1 a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

Yep. It's a game.

3 a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other

Once again, yep.

BTW, 300 feet is less than the average SHORTEST distance for the fences in the majors. 302'-355' is the short home run. I was always thinking (but never mentioned) a center field toss which varies from 390' to 435 in the major league parks. But we digress.

300 feet is the distance to "babe ruth" league fences.

Again, when you long toss with a pitcher, catcher or outfielder that is ATLEAST playing college baseball....then come back to this comment. UNTIL you have thrown with them.....you really and truly do not have an idea.;)

LOL!! According to a dictionary....absolutely.

Would ANYONE here call Nascar a game? Ask ANYONE if they would consider car racing "a game"....I highly doubt you will get more than a hand to state that it is....:rolleyes:

INFACT, do this, seeing that you are fan....next time there are races in your neck of the woods....ask your friends if they are going to "the game" at the racetrack and see if they don't look at you as if you are a few beers short of a six pack.;)

You know if you change enough parameters in any definition you can get to the good ol' argument of what "is" is. :D

So now we are debatrng the definition of the word "game"? Your question was "is it a game?". The answer is yes. NASCAR is a game by the strictest definition of the word. There is a point system. There are mutiple oponents, there are definitely physical requirements including physical and mental agility. The fact that the vernacular doesn't include "the game" in reference to the event doesn't mean it isn't one.

Other things never individually refered to as a game by participants but are definitely sporting events:
Several dozen Track & Field events, Gymnastics, speed skating, Biking both cross country and velodrome events, Martial arts, boxing, wrestling, greko-roman, MOTORCROSS, and so on...

Really "the game" refers to football, baseball, Soccer (fútbol) and basketball. To some maybe hockey and lacrosse.

Now if you want to change your definition again. choose another word.. :D Any definition you can conjure up that removes motor sports as a sport removes other events that are considered sports by any thinking human.

BTW I withdraw my statement about throwing the ball over the fences. I meant 390-435 feet (specifically I had 404' in my head) but I misstated it in my first post and everyone took it as the shortest possible babe ruth league 300 foot fence when I meant major leagues. And it really doesn't matter. The point was that there was use of a tool that allows for something that pure muscle, flesh and bone couldn't do for most but that point was lost.

Salsa's "muscle only" definition is as close as we get to excluding motorsports, but we have already established that one requires more muscle to wrestle a car around a track than one may think. It is NOT like driving on the freeway during rush hour.

See ya
Tony

You know if you change enough parameters in any definition you can get to the good ol' argument of what "is" is. :D

So now we are debatrng the definition of the word "game"? Your question was "is it a game?". The answer is yes. NASCAR is a game by the strictest definition of the word. There is a point system. There are mutiple oponents, there are definitely physical requirements including physical and mental agility. The fact that the vernacular doesn't include "the game" in reference to the event doesn't mean it isn't one.

Other things never individually refered to as a game by participants but are definitely sporting events:
Several dozen Track & Field events, Gymnastics, speed skating, Biking both cross country and velodrome events, Martial arts, boxing, wrestling, greko-roman, MOTORCROSS, and so on...

Really "the game" refers to football, baseball, Soccer (fútbol) and basketball. To some maybe hockey and lacrosse.

Now if you want to change your definition again. choose another word.. :D Any definition you can conjure up that removes motor sports as a sport removes other events that are considered sports by any thinking human.

BTW I withdraw my statement about throwing the ball over the fences. I meant 390-435 feet (specifically I had 404' in my head) but I misstated it in my first post and everyone took it as the shortest possible babe ruth league 300 foot fence when I meant major leagues. And it really doesn't matter. The point was that there was use of a tool that allows for something that pure muscle, flesh and bone couldn't do for most but that point was lost.

Salsa's "muscle only" definition is as close as we get to excluding motorsports, but we have already established that one requires more muscle to wrestle a car around a track than one may think. It is NOT like driving on the freeway during rush hour.

See ya
Tony

I just do not think it is a sport. Does it require skill? Absolutely! Does it require physical strength and conditioning? Yes, does it take ATHLETIC ABILITY ? NO!!

Read it again and again....physical strength? Yes! ..... ATHLETIC ABILITY? No....

We are back to definition of athletic ability. Again it is not like driving a car on the freeway. Handling 4 to 5 Gs is not something many could do for more than the length of a rollercoaster ride. NASCAR and other frivers do this for hours at a time! It requires serious physical training, coordination and control of the body. Seems pretty athletic to anyone who has ever had to do it! Give it a try. Go to a scale track or full sized track and go about 20 laps. Unless you are in good shape already, you will be out of breath from the physical work.

And Salsa, read the statement two posts above your response to Sandra. I addressed this and explained the misunderstanding.