What makes someone an athlete?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sort of unfair to name a home run hitter since the bat did most of the work? I bet none of these men could THROW the ball over the wall!

Nearly every sport has some sort of tool. Motorsports has a motor, but the person behind the wheel needs to have the strength, endurance, ability and agility to control the vehicle in hi G forces for hours at a time. By any definition you care to conjure up

Motorsports is a sport

Race Drivers are athletes.

To you and some, it is a sport. To me, it is not. I will not deny that there are some very good athletes. AND it does take excellent skills to drive a car 150mph.

WHAT??!! You actually think NONE of the major league players can throw the ball over 300 feet??!! Really?! Are you serious? Obviously, you have never practiced long toss with a major league players.....:rolleyes:

sport n. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

athlete n. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

Ipso facto... :p

sport n. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

athlete n. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

Ipso facto... :p

I like it...

Sort of unfair to name a home run hitter since the bat did most of the work?
The bat doesn't do most of the work. All of the energy is generated by two people, the pitcher throwing the ball and the batter swinging at the all. In fact more energy is used by the batter swining at bat at a pitched ball than if he were to simply swing with his bare hands, as the mass of the bat and the force of inertia must be overcome.

I bet none of these men could THROW the ball over the wall!
Consindering most powerhitters are outfielders, I would bet you are wrong.
Nearly every sport has some sort of tool. Motorsports has a motor, but the person behind the wheel needs to have the strength, endurance, ability and agility to control the vehicle in hi G forces for hours at a time. By any definition you care to conjure up
Virtually most of the energy in motor-sports is created by the motor, whereas ALL of the energy in other sports such as football, basketball, and baseball is created by the athletes themselves.
Motorsports is a sport
IMO it is not, but I can see an argument for it and understand why many would think it is
Race Drivers are athletes.
Barely

To you and some, it is a sport. To me, it is not. I will not deny that there are some very good athletes. AND it does take excellent skills to drive a car 150mph.

WHAT??!! You actually think NONE of the major league players can throw the ball over 300 feet??!! Really?! Are you serious? Obviously, you have never practiced long toss with a major league players.....:rolleyes:
Get to a game early enough and watch the pitchers warm up. They do long toss in the outfield and throw the ball about 300 feet with no effort at all. It looks like they are just passively tossing the ball about 10 feet and the ball just seems to fly out of their hand.

Yup, Just like hunting, I'm going out to the hills to help an Aunt this afternoon and might just take a .22 with me and might hunt for a Jack Rabbit or Coyote...
You didn't answer the question. Why is it a sport?

BTW, I would invite you to kill the Coyotes in my neighborhood, but you would probably be arrested just for thinking about it here. LOL

Wrong.....because there IS scoring, defense AND a game in Chess and poker....but you are not an athlete nor is it athletic competition!;)

....just saying...

Sorry but you are WRONG!!!

Everybody can say whatever the heck you want, but that doesn't make you the expert.

Tennis' Serena Williams is top female athlete

Now this, I get...

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4764170"]Serena Williams voted AP Female Athlete of the Year in landslide - ESPN[/ame]

Since some of you think fishing is a sport. One cannot really fish in deep water unless they have a big Johnson. :eek:k:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM]YouTube - John Reno - BIG OL' JOHNSON[/ame]

To you and some, it is a sport.
The word is Most, not some. It fits any definition that you can conjure up.

I take it back... lets change that to "most" could not.
Guiness book of world records says:
[SIZE=-1]Longest Throw[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Glen Gorbous (Canada) threw a baseball 445 ft. 10 inches on August 1, 1957.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By A Woman[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mildred "Babe" Didrikson threw a baseball 296 ft. on July 25, 1931.[/SIZE]

You better get it 'cause otherwise she'll shove that $%#^& ball down your throat!!

serena-williams-outburst-1-big.jpg

The word is Most, not some. It fits any definition that you can conjure up.

I take it back... lets change that to "most" could not.
Guiness book of world records says:
[SIZE=-1]Glen Gorbous (Canada) threw a baseball 445 ft. 10 inches on August 1, 1957.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By A Woman[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mildred "Babe" Didrikson threw a baseball 296 ft. on July 25, 1931.[/SIZE]

Any definition? IS it a game? Nope. ...Just say.....

I can assure you 100% certainty that MOST major leaguers, especially pitchers, catchers and outfielders, 300 feet. But with the strategy of "hitting the cutoff man", they do not do it and there is no reason TO do it.

....but hey, why would you take that from a guy that coaches baseball and run camps with college coaches, major league scouts and professional coaches....?;)

Any definition? IS it a game? Nope. ...Just say.....

According to Marian Webster: GAME
1 a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

Yep. It's a game.

3 a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other

Once again, yep.

BTW, 300 feet is less than the average SHORTEST distance for the fences in the majors. 302'-355' is the short home run. I was always thinking (but never mentioned) a center field toss which varies from 390' to 435 in the major league parks. But we digress.

300 feet is the distance to "babe ruth" league fences.

Yep. It's a game.

3 a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other

Once again, yep.

BTW, 300 feet is less than the average SHORTEST distance for the fences in the majors. 302'-355' is the short home run. I was always thinking (but never mentioned) a center field toss which varies from 390' to 435 in the major league parks. But we digress.

300 feet is the distance to "babe ruth" league fences.

I used to be able to throw a baseball over the fence from home plate (about 325 ft) and a softball over the fence (about 275 ft)

Yep. It's a game.

LOL!! According to a dictionary....absolutely.

Would ANYONE here call Nascar a game? Ask ANYONE if they would consider car racing "a game"....I highly doubt you will get more than a hand to state that it is....:rolleyes:

INFACT, do this, seeing that you are fan....next time there are races in your neck of the woods....ask your friends if they are going to "the game" at the racetrack and see if they don't look at you as if you are a few beers short of a six pack.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts