What new features would you like to see?

ALL two tuner DVRs should buffer BOTH tuners whenever they are on (except for some time during the night when they need to get their guide and other information updated).

This feature is one reason that I would recommend a DirecTV TiVo over any DISH two tuner DVR.

Bill R said:
ALL two tuner DVRs should buffer BOTH tuners whenever they are on (except for some time during the night when they need to get their guide and other information updated).

This feature is one reason that I would recommend a DirecTV TiVo over any DISH two tuner DVR.

Actually I don't mind that. If I want a two tuner pvr for two tv's or two seperate inputs then I get the 522. I don't mind them having a larger selection for us to choose from. Now if they had something like a 523 where I could hook up all three kids rooms off one PVR that would be great IMO but then where do you stop when it comes to number of outputs

When setting up a recurring timer, I'd like to be able to specify the maximum number of recordings to keep on hand. So if I always record the 6:00 news with a maximum of 1 recordings, I would always have the most recent showing and not have to manually go in and delete previous ones, as I do now.

I think that's currently available with Tivo, but I'm not sure.

If they cannot do name based recording, perhaps they could at least start sending messages through their system letting you know when a program has changed nights or times or lengths.

Then you could go in and update your timers.

They could have your system ignore any messages that do not apply to any of the timers/PVRs you have set up.

Of course, I think we'd all just be happy with a reasonably bug free software release...

No offense guys, but this topic is kind of like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Given Dish's inability to do even minor bug fixes to the 721 for months and months, I think we're kidding ourselves if we think the current generation of PVRs will get new features. It appears that, while Scott does receive beta tests occasionally, the 721 program is on a barely-lit backburner, at best. If we get one additional software update, I'll count myself lucky.

I like my 721 and was giving serious thought to a 921, but Echostar has become so UNfocused since their merger with Direct TV fell through, there's no way I'll be throwing an additional $1000 their way.

I've been dumping a lot of programs to tape for posterity. I'd like to be able to set cue marks at multiple points in the recorded programs so that I wouldn't have to babysit the system when I want to edit out material (typically commercials). I envision setting start and stop points and then letting the DVR automatically skip to the next section to be recorded.

The reason I have this topic is to organize these thoughts to my website plus Dish Network does read these sites and does sometimes use our ideas and suggestions. Sometimes someone can come up with an idea that nobody has ever thought of and it gets used.

I'd like a 922. The 522 sounds real nice, but I need a HD DVR and I want to share my programs with each TV.

Plus you would have a LOT of standard definition program storage available. If someone is planning on having HD in the near future the 921 would be good for that unless you are hoping for it to come down in price.

aperry said:
If they cannot do name based recording, perhaps they could at least start sending messages through their system letting you know when a program has changed nights or times or lengths.

Then you could go in and update your timers.

They could have your system ignore any messages that do not apply to any of the timers/PVRs you have set up.

Of course, I think we'd all just be happy with a reasonably bug free software release...

How about just having it just automatically change if it doesn't generate a conflict? Example, you have Friends set up for everyweek, but NBC does one of their extended shows, just change the end time for that week.

I would like an option to have my reciever automatically download the guide every night. They never get turned off, so at a specific time like at 4am It would download the guide.

Some New Features I'd like to see that I have not seen requested:

1) The ability to restrict both theme and search functions to only display results within a selected favorites list.
2) I'd like the ability to search within a theme. For example when searching, limit the results to only "movies" or only "series"
3) The ability to Stop the 5xx series from buffering the current show. If I'm just watching TV, but don't want the receiver buffering, I should be able to press "Stop" and the HDD should spin down while still allowing the receiver to show the current program. This would save wear on the HDD, and make the receiver quieter. Some might say it's not possible since the Hardware buffers everything before displaying it, but notice they already show a live feed briefly when the receiver is first powered on...

Allow the saved PVR Video files to be accessed.

Add 802.11g to access said files

Provide a Linux, Windows, and Mac codec to read those files (and allow the codec to check over the wireless network) the smart card/access rights for playback.

A definite feature I'd like is when you set up a reaccuring timer, for you to be able to pick the days. Currently you can pick, daily, mon-fri or once a week. I usually try to record things during the night so people can watch tv on my one tuner PVR, but for shows that are on after midnight on monday - friday it messed them up. They get messed up becasue after midnight on friday is really saturday so the pvr won't record that one and it will record the one on sunday night which is already 1am on monday. So i end up missing out on one and getting something recorded that i don't want.

The feature i'd like to see is for you to actually be able to choose the days, say monday, wednesday and sunday, or just have another option that records tuesday-saturday.

I agree with you and have had the same issues. Those shows that end up being messed up with the timers on the weekends when they are weekday shows end up being the "daily" timer option so that I dont miss them and then I delete the other shows that may show up on the other two days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)