what OTA HDTV antennas, are people using with their 6000u

Status
Please reply by conversation.
G

Original poster
I hope this is the right forum for this post. I'm receiving my HDTV in December, and I'm reading that HD content looks like will be made available on Dish sooner than later. (currently have the 510) I would love to get some feedback on what people are using to get OTA signals with the 6000u. Thanks for your help.

First off where are you located ?

I use a Radioshack vu 190 40 feet in the air with a Wineguard preamp and rotator

I live in Windsor/Windsor Locks CT. I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff, so any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I live in the Philadelphia DMA I live about 25miles from the main antenna farm no hills or obstructions
I use a Radio Shack double bow-tie with a Motorola
signal booster. CBS,ABC,NBC and PBS are very strong to get Fox and UPN I need to re-orient thw antenna slightly but the signals are strong.

I live within 20 miles of the antenna farm in Las Vegas. I can get all 7 DT broadcasts with rabbit ears. As above, you'll have to have some sort of educated guess. To find out where your stations are broadcasting, use this tool.

http://www.antennaweb.org

How about the TERK 44 model antennas that clip onto the dish. Anyone have experience with those for HDTV viewing, integratinng it wish DishNetwork?

How about the TERK 44 model antennas that clip onto the dish. Anyone have experience with those for HDTV viewing, integratinng it wish DishNetwork

LOL Only if you can see the tower from your house.

Check out antennaweb.org and go from there.

I use an Antennacraft MU-59. It's a yagi about 100" long.

Anyone have any experience with this Terk antenna (i saw it in best buy today)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384668869&skuId=4082496&type=product

4082496_sa.jpg

Optimized for superb HDTV reception, this broadband helical antenna has a coiled reception element for the power of a large antenna in a slim, compact design.

Engineered specifically to provide outstanding reception of HDTV broadcasts, as well as traditional analog TV signals
Impedance-matched amplifier provides reliable transmission of high-definition signals with minimal signal degradation
Patented dual-mode ultra-low-noise amplifier design lets you choose high gain to amplify weak signals or bypass for optimal reception of strong signals
Slim, compact, weatherproof design for years of reliable performance in indoor or outdoor installations
Threaded "F" connector ensures high-quality signal transmission to RG6 coaxial cable
Includes power injector with AC-to-DC adapter
Multiple mounting options — can even be mounted on top of an RV
Includes all mounting hardware
Product Details
Product Height 3-1/2"
Product Width 48"
Product Length 2-1/4"

Features Indoor/outdoor antenna; impedance-matched amplifier; coiled reception element; slim profile

Never heard much good about the terks. Tried a few different ones. Rabbit ears works pretty good for me. Antennaweb says I need a small omni. Currently using the Zenith ZHDTV1 and it works great.

A couple locals here told me that particular Terk works great in the winter time to scrape snow and mud off your boots if placed at your doorstep.....and that is just about all it is good for according to them. I have messed around with different antennas and got a RS outdoor UHF/VHF and first mounted it inside the garage up high, but had a hard time pulling in a couple analog stations. An indoor Silver Sensor got amazingly good signals from the digitals too, but was no good for the VHF channel 2. So, a quick trip back to RS for a gable mount and I am in business now. No problems getting any of the local analog and digitals even close to 60 miles away except for a very low-power CBS digital that is around 60 miles away, but they are supposedly going to a new tower with more power, hopefully real soon.

Ransack said:
Anyone have any experience with this Terk antenna (i saw it in best buy today)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384668869&skuId=4082496&type=product

4082496_sa.jpg

I am using the Terk 50. Works just fine. This one is probably better.

HDTV Antenna

I have 6000 with the OTA module.

I Ditto what is being said about the TERK antennas, nothing good is ever said about them. Same can be said for any Clip on antenna that is shaped to fit on your dish. Face it, a clip on is designed to fit on a dish. TV reception is secondary in its design.

I have a UHF Only Radio Shack 15-2160 ant which cost under $25. All of the digital stations in the DC/Balt area are UHF. I use a 15-1171 Digital cable amp to boost the HD channels. Works great.

First off stay WAY clear of Terk! The are the Bose of antennas! Also remember there is NO such thing as a HD antenna. All antennas are HD antennas so you basically are looking for the best antenna for your area period. If all your OTA HD is UHF then you are best served by getting a UHF only antenna. If your like me (in Chicago) you have CBS on channel 3 so we need the VHS/UHF combo antennas.

I get almost 20 Digital TV station using an Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna. The CM 4248 UHF antenna is also a very good antenna, esp. for attic installs. Both of theses antennas get most of UHF stations well and nearby VHF above ch. 7. Unless you have lots of time to waste, don't even bother with any TERK antenna.

I would also concur with the consensus on Terk antennas. I brought that model that was supposedly designed/optimized for HDTV reception for over $100. Reception was horrible and I found that a $20 antenna worked better.

I am in an apartment and can not install one of those huge attic antennas(since I dont have one) anyone have a sugestion for a good either indoor or clip on dish antenna within 25 miles of the antenna farm?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)