what programming package to order???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... I am about to sign up for D* as I have just about finished my self install... One reason for going to D* is to get NFLST so signing up for that is a given... Currently D* is offering a deal where if you sign up for their Total Choice Premier (which we don't want long term) and a DVR (which we do want) along with NFLST (again, which we do want) then you can get all that for a cheap rate for four months... The bottom line is going with this deal for four months would more than pay for the NFLST but this only makes sense if I can roll back to the package we want (Total Choice with one premium) after four months... I have read all the details about this NFLST + TC Premier + DVR and it says nothing about you have to stay signed up for that beyond four months but I fear I am missing the real fine print... I want it if I can roll back to Total Choice with only one premium after the four months is up, otherwise, I don't want it... Could someone with experience with how D* works share their thoughts about whether or not I can roll back after four months??? I want to have some knowledge before I call them to actually order programming... thanks... diitto..

If you get TCP, you will probably have to keep it at that level (TCP) a full 2 years (advanced equipment requires 2 yr commitment) and downgrading will cost you a fee, probably upto 300 bucks for advanced equipment (is upto 150 for standard equipment).

Not according to their website, it states reducing programming comes with a fee.

From their page:
A fee of up to $150.00 may be charged for early termination, suspension, disconnection or downgrade of required
DIRECTV(R) programming, depending upon the timing of such action.

"Downgrade" meaning you don't keep a Total Choice package. I checked on this myself with 2 different CSR's about a month ago, Robert is right. You can go from Premier to any Total Choice package without inflicting a fee.

For me the word of the official website means more to me than a CSR, 3 CSRs I spoke with never even heard about mpeg4, why would I think their info would mean squat now? I signed a contract that states I am to have their 1 yr of TCPlus, if I downgrade BEFORE my 1 yr agreement is up, to just plain old TC, I will inncur a penalty, it states it in my bill, the website, and in the adverts I get, once my 1yr is UP then I can reduce it without penalty. I mean they just implemented a 10 dollar penalty for adding premeire programming then removing them before 30 days is up, why wouldn't they have a similar fee for downgrading after you signed an agreement to stay with it for a year? If I am wrong, please show me on their website where it states otherwise.

The wording on my bill is as follows:
You agreed to pay for 12 consecutive months of a 41.99/mo. or ABOVE programming package (plus 4.99/mo. for 2nd and each additional TV). <some other text> If you do not fufill this commitment, DIRECTV may charge you a fee of up to 150.00, as liquidated damages, or you may choose to return your DIRECTV System equipment to DIRECTV.

Well, as I feared this is about as clear as mud... Damaged, you mentioned that not only is this penalty discussed in your bill and in adverts but you also mentioned on their "website"... If possible, can you direct me to where on their website I might find the verbage that mentions such things??? I have perused a lot of it looking for precisely this info and have yet to find it...

As some others have mentioned, I too, have spoken with CSR's and have not been very impressed by their level of knowledge.. So seeing it in writing would be much more useful as I try to decide what to order...

My gut tells me they are likely to want to recoup money by forcing you to stay with the TCPremier for longer than the four months. If I can't get my question answered definitively I will instead just go with my gut and just order the TC package and NFLST separately...

But if anyone can direct me to where it might say something about this topic on their web site, that would be so helpful... thanks... diitto...

I agree with Total Choice Plus w/locals as well. save the extra money and add the NFL & full HD package; maybe add HBO and/or SHO à la carte if they have any HD programming you like. Also, to backup the previous: if you start with Total Choice Premier you can downgrade to ANY OTHER Total Choice plan; if you go BELOW any of the Total Choice plans then and only then are you subject to the penalty.

Here you go:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/AnnualProgrammingAgreement_eng.dsp

There are slight differences(it's more specific) in wording on the bill since the one on the website is generally speaking, the bill can be more specific because they know what level of programming I agreed to, on the website it would have to speak in general terms because you may have TCPremium or TCPlus when reading that agreement. But it says the same thing.

Pretty clear:

ANNUAL PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT

The following terms and conditions describe the Annual Programming Agreement

Programming Agreement: Within 30 days of purchase of your DIRECTV System equipment, you agree to activate and pay for 12 consecutive months (24 consecutive months for advanced receivers) of: any DIRECTV® TOTAL CHOICE® programming package (valued at $41.99 per mo. or above); or, any DIRECTV PARA TODOS® programming package (valued at $29.99 per mo. or above); or, any qualifying international services bundle, which bundle shall include either the DIRECTV® BASIC programming package (valued at $9.99 per mo.) or the DIRECTV® PREFERRED CHOICE™ programming package (valued at $29.99 per mo.) together with any WorldDirect™ international language service. DVR service activation ($5.99/mo.) required for DVR and HD DVR system purchases.

You forgot this part:
Consequences of Your Failure to Maintain Agreement:
If you fail to maintain your programming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a prorated fee of up to $150 for standard receivers (up to $300 for advanced receivers).

Within 14 days of downgrading or disconnecting your programming, you have an option to send all of your DIRECTV System equipment (receiver and remote control) to DIRECTV in lieu of this payment.

The commitment is me agreeing to having TCPlus or above for 12 mos., if I downgrade or disconnect within 12 mos, I broke the agreement, and the penalty occurs.

And again the wording on my bill, as posted above, is not a forgery it is what is on my bill verbatum. I have no reason to make it up.

Right, but the agreement only states that you need *some kind* of total choice, not the same level.

That "Failure to Maintain Agreement" would only be if you ceased paying for ANY TC package.

Robert is 100% correct.

Not according to the terms printed on my BILL. That specifically states the current plan I have or ABOVE.

Again on my bill the EXACT wording is:
You agreed to pay for 12 consecutive months of a 41.99/mo. or ****ABOVE**** _programming package_ (plus 4.99/mo. for 2nd and each additional TV). <some other text> If you do not fufill this commitment, DIRECTV may charge you a fee of up to 150.00, as liquidated damages, or you may choose to return your DIRECTV System equipment to DIRECTV.

You're telling me that thats wrong? At work Friday, I will scan the bill into a jpg tommorow if you'd like. It doesn't get any plainer than that.

Also I did NOT say you needed to stay at the same level, only that the level must be equal to or ABOVE the commitment you agreed to. If you are no longer in a commitment, yes, you could change up or down, but they will make him sign one, and it will not allow him to reduce his TCPremeire to TCPlus package after 4 months without some penalty.

damaged said:
Not according to their website, it states reducing programming comes with a fee.

From their page:
A fee of up to $150.00 may be charged for early termination, suspension, disconnection or downgrade of required
From their page:
DIRECTV(R) programming, depending upon the timing of such action., depending upon the timing of such action.

You're misreading this. In your case, "required DIRECTV(R) programming" is TC or above. It even states so in the link you posted.

damaged said:
Not according to the terms printed on my BILL. That specifically states the current plan I have or ABOVE.

Again on my bill the EXACT wording is:
You agreed to pay for 12 consecutive months of a 41.99/mo. or ****ABOVE**** _programming package_ (plus 4.99/mo. for 2nd and each additional TV). <some other text> If you do not fufill this commitment, DIRECTV may charge you a fee of up to 150.00, as liquidated damages, or you may choose to return your DIRECTV System equipment to DIRECTV.

Your answer is also right here. What costs 41.99 - TC or TC premier?

Robert is correct. You have to keep at least total choice for the 2 years. You can upgrade and downgrade as long as the lowest package you select is Total choice which is like $40 something a month.

I had this same question when I signed up 2 weeks ago. The CSR said when my 4 months are up with NFLST, Premier then I will be billed the regular rate of $93.99 for the TC Premier. I have the option of choosing any other TC package after that 4 month period and this honors my agreement to maintain a TC or higher package. Hancox has it right on the money in his post above.

Ok, I won't try and argue anymore, I'll stand corrected, you have to admit, the wording isn't the clearest. Sorry if I pissed anyone off, I just wanted to help. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)