What projector to get?

Jeremy:

you have to be more specific.

What output - 720p or 1080p.

what is your price range?

How much light is in the room?

How big is your screen?

You'll get more opinions with more specifics.

720p or 1080p-don' know

up to 1200.00

low light (basement)

haven't got a screen yet (have about 9ft. from wall to wall)

probably mostly gaming for now

Why would you need a projector? (Assuming you are talking about a front projector.)
Regular big-screen RPTV or a flat-screen TV might work better for your budget and room size, I suspect.

Why would you need a projector? (Assuming you are talking about a front projector.) Regular big-screen RPTV or a flat-screen TV might work better for your budget and room size, I suspect.

I agree with Ilya on this, BUT if you are into planning ahead and likely will use this for at least 50% of home theater use too, them MAYBE you can go ahead and get a decent 720p FPTV; like these along with the Da-Lite Deluxe Model B manual screen in HC Matte White:

Sanyo PLV-Z4/5
Panasonic PT-AX100U/200U
Optoma HD 70/72
Mitsubishi HD100U/HC1500

BUT if you are going to be gamin 65% or more for at least a year or more on it, just follow Ilay's advise above and save your money and go "regular big-screen RPTV".

...up to 1200.00
...haven't got a screen yet (have about 9ft. from wall to wall)
With 9' distance you'll need a projector with good zoom.
LCDs are better in this department than DLPs. With the Panasonic (in charper1's list) at
maximum zoom you can get approximately an 80" image (diagonally) with the lens ~8' away
Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size
It's close to your price range, too.

You won't find anything better for given Price/Distance/Size constraints...

If 70" screen size is good enough, I'd recommend Optoma HD70 (you'll save about $300).
Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Diogen.

i did a setup for a friend...he was at 7 feet and we installed a 65" front projector Panny 900. It looked awesome for the first 300-400 hours...then it developed green blobs.

If you chose LCD be very aware of panel degradation. Chose DLP if you can.

Gregg

i did a setup for a friend...he was at 7 feet and we installed a 65" front projector Panny 900. It looked awesome for the first 300-400 hours...then it developed green blobs.

If you chose LCD be very aware of panel degradation. Chose DLP if you can.

Gregg
was looking at dlp lcd,bout the same price,maybe

thanks all

DLP:
Acer PH530
Optoma HD70
Mitsubishi HC1500

LCD:
BenQ W500
Epson HC400
Sony AW15
Panasonic AX200u
Sanyo Z5
Epson HC720

I would highly recommend the Panasonic PT-AX200U.

Panasonic PT-AX200U Projector

720P
Brightness: 2000 lumens
Contrast: 6000:1
$1299

That Panny is made for gamers. While Panasonic usually boasts about hollywood producers helping them do the color depth and correction, their push this year with the AX200 is all about gaming and no lag. At CEDIA they had some gamer champ on hand that helped them tweat the AX200 to optimize it for gaming.

If that's what you will use it for the most then it should be your #1 choice.
DD

That Panny is made for gamers. While Panasonic usually boasts about hollywood producers helping them do the color depth and correction, their push this year with the AX200 is all about gaming and no lag. At CEDIA they had some gamer champ on hand that helped them tweat the AX200 to optimize it for gaming.

If that's what you will use it for the most then it should be your #1 choice.
DD

It also produces a hell of an image with HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I have had my 360 hooked up to it and it did a great job with the lag. It is quite interesting playing GH3 on a 106" screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)