What receiver should i get?

txhockey

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
home audio store close to me was clearing out their martin logan speakers and i bought 2 purity front speakers, motif center speaker and 2 passage surround speakers. I have an older JVC receiver that i will be replacing, what does anyone suggest? It might be a few months, since I just dropped $4500 for the speakers. The store recommended the integra 7.9 for $1300, is that a good option? I would say $1500 is about the most i want to spend, but can be flexible if there is good reason.

The integra isn't bad. For that money, you could also get a Denon 3808 from several online stores, which is a dynamite receiver. I've heard it with the MLs and was impressed. However, you also need to save for a sub as that is where the MLs tend to be a bit thin.

I agree with Jay... I'd go for the Denon over the Integra. I've not been that impressed with them. I have the 9.8. For a receiver, I also like the yamaha 3900.

S~

I have a Denon 3808ci that I bought from 6Ave a little over a year ago for less than 1k. But you have to call them for the best price. I absolutely love it.

It really is hard to buy a "bad" receiver nowadays, the market is so competetive. Staying above the $800 mark MSRP would be my suggestion. Power supplies are beefier, and that is everything.

It really is hard to buy a "bad" receiver nowadays, the market is so competetive. Staying above the $800 mark MSRP would be my suggestion. Power supplies are beefier, and that is everything.

Not sure I completely agree. In addition to the power supply, there is the question of component quality and assembly. That stuff doesn't show when you are looking at the shiney cabinets, but pops up two years out as failures and noisy channels. For example, there is an epidemic of early electrolytic capacitor failures occuring now because of defective chinese parts.

I bought the Onkyo because the price was right, but I will go back to a Denon in a couple of years. Most likely whatever they are calling the 3808 then as that seems to be a good price point to ensure the quality. My last version of the 3000 series lasted me from 1994-2008. It was only retired because it had become obsolete featurewise. The sound was as clear as the day I bought it.

I've alternated between Denon and Onkyo on my last 4 receivers. I've gone one way or the other on the basis of cost and features (updating to new features), and whether I could get a silver faceplate. Never have had a problem with reliability with either company. I've found the build quality to be very good with either. I bought the ONKYO 805 because it was on sale at CC for $589.00, and was available in Silver. Don't feel any need to change this for the seeable future. If my last Denon had HDMI, and Audyssey and the power this receiver had, I would still be using it in my main rig. I still have the Denon. If I found a Denon with a comparable price and features the day I was buying, I could have just as easily bought that. I'm comfortable recommending either companies product.

Ive owned the 605 and the 1909, along with a sony 810. Sony sounded very metallic, and I dont think its fair to compare the 605 to the 1909.

For the $600 rcvr, I decided on Denon for build quality and the better Audyssey setup. I think the more points it measure, the better.

The Denon 1909 does however have better AQ than the other two I owned.

I feel, after doing my research, if you hit the mid to upper tier rcvr's like 1909's, 3808's, 800 series Onkyos, and the more expensive Pioneers, you are getting a good receiver($600 price range in BBuy gets you a great rcvr).

I dont have any reason to think the Onkyo is less a build than the Denon, I just did not like the heat. I gotta think, less heat means more longevity because heat is bad for electronics. Whether or not it means an onkkyo would last 8 yrs as compared to a Denons 10is unknown, and prob not that big of a deal.

After owning this Denon, I can say its my fav so far, and it most likely means I wont stray from them in the future. Just like Panasonic and their BR players.

I've read a lot about the heat issue, but oddly enough mine doesn't have that problem, and I spend a lot of time listening to music at very loud levels, which should make the AVR work harder than your average movie DVD. No answer for that, except maybe build variation.

You could fry eggs on my 605 after a good, cranked bluray. Denon is just warm.

But you have changed so many components and configurations since getting the Denon that it isn't really a fair test. For example, I think the new speakers are significantly more efficient.

I don't have a heat problem with my 605, and mentioned that I had put an IR thermometer on it, but my Klipsch's are very efficient, so the amp isn't driven hard to get good sound levels.

My point is that I don't think you did a heat comparison where the ONLY thing that changed was the receiver.

Only thing changed from the Denon to the Onkyo, was the Klipsch 12, I had the same center up until this week. I was checking the Denon after every BR since Christmas, just out of curiousity.

It could also be that my ent center is pretty tight inside. Denon might just not need as much ventilation. Im not saying the heat is a problem, I dunno, but the one complaint you always hear about Onkyos is heat. In the same setup, my onkyo was a good bit more hot. I dont think changing the sub would matter?

I'm driving 4 ohm loads all the way around the room. After looking at last month's DTE bill, I wish my Onkyo would heat the room up a little, it's on at least 12 hrs. a day, and in standby the other 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts