What resolution will the HD locals be in?

Sicemdawgs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Suwanee, GA
I see that Dish will have Atlanta HD locals in Jan. 2006. Does anyone know what resolution they will be?

I can pick up the HD locals OTA, but would like to be antenna-free. Will the PQ be comparable with Dish or should I stay with the antenna?

I think it's easy to guarantee that the OTA source will ALWAYS be better than what dish plans to provide

So far the D* guys have been saying the HD locals on D* have been comparable to OTA. One person was able to compare his OTA directly against D* broadcast, and he said that the colors weren't as rich but overall pretty good. Hopefully, E* will be the same. OTA will most likely give you the best picture if you can get it reliably (I can't)...and don't mind the occasional lightning strike at your tall lightning rod to blow out all your expensive equipment! :eek: We all know how lightning favors our area.

On the other hand, D* has lots of bandwidth at the moment. Once they do add WB, UPN, TBS, PBS, etc. to Atlanta and every other market, they may drop the bitrate, make them HDlite, or whatever else. At least with E*, it seems that they have heard us and understand we prefer quality over quantity...that is if they do indeed bring Voom back to true HD. That's why I've made my final decision to be sticking with E* if true HD is returned.

Its good, but where I live, every time a plane takes off, or lands, it kills my OTA signal on the big 4 channels, tho the PQ may not be as good, still a good alternate (because it always drops out during the best scene!)

And Im in the Boston DMA, so I want a 211/411 asap, but of course, dont wanna do the whole '+ 1 yr contract'

my 811 is verry funky anywho, so maybe ill give em a call next week!

CJPC said:
Im in the Boston DMA, so I want a 211/411 asap, but of course, dont wanna do the whole '+ 1 yr contract'
my 811 is verry funky anywho, so maybe ill give em a call next week!

411's go on sale later this week, and VIP 211's should be available for purchase by the end of this month. List price for each is $399, but you should be able to take a few dollars off if you shop around.

Yeah, I know, but my Q is, did (or will E) be totally removing 811's from service such as, get a busted 811 in, send out a 411/211 receiver

CJPC said:
Yeah, I know, but my Q is, did (or will E) be totally removing 811's from service such as, get a busted 811 in, send out a 411/211 receiver

Don't know the answer to that, but I expect they will be replacing bad 811's with refurb 811's for some time to come. For example, I had a 6000u fail (smoke/fire! from internal power supply) and they sent me a replacement 6000u, even though that model had been replaced by the 811.

Wow! Well kinda meh, but it worked fine for me, E originally gave me a refurb 811 (no issues, it was in fine shape) but still, I think we all want new boxes :)

OTA should always be the best way to deliver HD locals. As a retailer and installer I've seen everything. Trust me, keep your antenna- I am.

I wonder if E* would offer us better prices on their MPEG4 boxes than the announced price. Has anyone else noticed the difference between E* 211/411$399 receiver versus D*H20 $199 receiver with a $200 rebate to boot (essentially costing nothing for new subs and existing subs as well)? The NON MPEG4 DVR's are very different as well, E* 942 is around $650-700 when D* HD DVR is $499.

That's a large difference...wish E* would at least price match.

With DirecTv's special offering going on, if Dish Network does not match that, I see more churn in Dish's future. If it was not for that I would think that Dish Network would charge full price for the receivers at first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts