What Satellite does Orby use?

RVFAMILY

Original poster
May 22, 2020
We travel a lot in our RV. We own a Winegard G2 Carry Out automatic antenna that can be set to receive Direct TV SD or Dish Eastern or Western Arc satellites. I currently use 61.5, 72.7 and 77 because of their higher altitude. If we were to purchase an Orby receiver would we still be able to use our current G2? I'm not too excited about going back to the old school method of setting up a tripod, dish and aiming it with my First Strike meter. Also knowing the satellite and transponder Orby uses will be helpful.

Eutelsat 117 West A @ 117.0W ... Orby is a linear polarized transmission. DTV and Dish are circular polarized and use different LNBs than ORBY. If you can find a Shaw LNBF for that dish you could do ORBY

It won't work even with the correct LNB. The G2 is only programmed to locate Dish western arc, Bell, or DTV sats.

I wonder if the OP actually has a Winegard Pathway X2 instead of a Carryout G2. The G2 is western arc only, while the X2 is capable of receiving both arcs. The X2 is compatible only with Dish 211k, 211, 211, 411 and Wally receivers.

Reactions: Magic Static
It won't work even with the correct LNB. The G2 is only programmed to locate Dish western arc, Bell, or DTV sats.

I wonder if the OP actually has a Winegard Pathway X2 instead of a Carryout G2. The G2 is western arc only, while the X2 is capable of receiving both arcs. The X2 is compatible only with Dish 211k, 211, 211, 411 and Wally receivers.
I wondered about that. Seems a shame you can't program it to any sat at any location. :(

I actually talked with Winegard about them making a dish for Orby and that's exactly what he told me.. Wouldn't be able to make the smaller dish work for Orby

Reactions: NYDutch
I actually talked with Winegard about them making a dish for Orby and that's exactly what he told me.. Wouldn't be able to make the smaller dish work for Orby
They could do a version of the full faced Trav'ler auto-aiming RV rooftop dish for Orby without too much trouble, but the current market is so small that it's not likely to happen any time soon.

I wish I had a Trav'ler..I'd try making a bracket off the side once it's hitting Dish 119 and see if I could hit Orby..All it would take is a DPP lnb with dish receiver and once it's on 119 try to get the 117 with the Orby lnb..Many yrs ago I used a PrimeStar dish for DTV Dish and Bell..82,91,105,110,119

Reactions: KE4EST and NYDutch